• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Lambert

We've had a good month (even the defeat we had was a good performance overall) but that doesn't change my standpoint, there are so many of our players I actively want us to get rid of. Yeah, some of them are in the team at the moment and would need replacing. But it wouldn't be hard to find better.

At absolute best, Ikeme, Batth, Edwards and Price can stay as back up. All of Doherty, Silvio, Stearman, Saville, Coady, Wallace, Henry, Lonergan, Collins, Ebanks-Landell, Gladon, Reid, O'Hanlon and Deslandes need to go, as well as being ruthless with the likes of Upton/Randall in the U23s who aren't ever going to make it here, and we can patch the likes of Mason and Bodvarsson off if we get a reasonable offer too. Can not be doing with that level of mediocrity (if I'm being kind) cluttering up the squad any more.

Agree. I noticed Lambert mentioned that Silvio is nearing fitness which I found interesting. Has a good pedigree, and can clearly play.

I think we ran Bodvarsson ragged in those opening months and he hasn't truly recovered. He deserves a proper rest and as a back up option I think he is great to have. He should have been the one to come on on Saturday rather than Dicko I thought. Quite a few of our players (Dicko, Bod, Cav, Costa, Saiss) we will see the benefits of having a full pre-season with us if they are here next season.

As you say, big clear out needed as our squad has been so imbalance for coming onto two years now. It's not good enough.

I would like Lambert gone at the end of the season. He talks absolute rubbish and whilst I haven't seen the last 3 games his football is garbage. I just don't think he's a very good manager.

Sadly, I think he'll stay along with the utter dross like Edwards and Doherty. The backroom staff will be the same and they will buy crap in the summer and we'll all be having this same conversation in November as the exact same thing happened with Jackett, Moxey and Sako.

Until we change as a club nothing will change.

As much as it pains me I find myself in agreement with Johnny. Add to that the fact he has worked in and around professional football and for him to feel this strongly so quickly highlights why we probably will change managers again.

Ask the questions

Is Paul Lambert's ethos, coaching, media work and results up to scratch during his tenure? Overall with home defeats to Wigan, Birmingham and a shocker at Burton it has to be borderline at best. Without 3 wins on the spin and the cup run it would be a resounding no.

Is the squad good enough? Clearly not but Lambert has tinkered and played people in odd positions. He does not know his best 11.

Is Thelwell due a p45? Absolutely!

I'm sure Saville will be getting his one year option soon too.

Would you add Edwards to that list? Or you think he's "good" for us from CDM position? Personally I want him gone completely.

Really, where has that come from, you've never even insinuated your feelings about him before :)

Really, where has that come from, you've never even insinuated your feelings about him before :)

Haha :).

It seems I'm in a minority who would turn him into minced meat and stick him in an Iceland lasagne right now.

Genuine question.

Let's make a couple of assumptions. Lambert stays and gets a budget.

Does he buy a new captain , does he give it to Batth again (please god no) or does he go for consistency and appoint from within the existing squad? If so there are really only 2 candidates. Edwards and Williamson. Ikeme at a push but we want new keeper so I hgave ruled him out. I remember all to well Johnson being bought and getting the armband and that went well didn't it! So its a choice of 2. Given Williamson and injury Dangerous could be club captain next year. In which case he has to play DM.

Views?

Marshall perhaps? Hard working player who has gotten stuck in and helped change our fortunes lately. Looks good enough to start most games and LAmbert obviously trusts him enough to play him even when embarrassingly unfit.

JT is the Chelsea captain but hardly featured at all this season. So it wouldn't surprise me if Batth keeps it, even if his role is substantially downgraded next season.

I wouldn't give it to Edwards because we'll hopefully be upgrading on him next season, and I wouldn't give it to Williamson until he can prove he's capable of playing three games in a row.

IF we sign a leader/clear improvement to our starting 11, I have no issues in giving the captaincy to him, whoever that may be.

I want to see a few more signs of improvement first.
So we have won 3 on the bounce. Big whoop. We lost 6 on the bounce.
I'm still not happy, nor convinced.

I want to see a few more signs of improvement first.
So we have won 3 on the bounce. Big whoop. We lost 6 on the bounce.
I'm still not happy, nor convinced.

Nor me. If we stay up, as we should do now, then I would replace Thelwell, Lambert and the current coaching staff quickly.

Edwards is a decent enough squad player and his best form this season has been in the deeper midfield role...He should NEVER play in the #10 role again

This for me, if he plays Edwards as a 10 again sack him. If he doesn't then I think he'll get us promoted next season

Nor me. If we stay up, as we should do now, then I would replace Thelwell, Lambert and the current coaching staff quickly.
Thelwell maybe, but if Lambert keeps us up I've a hard time advocating sacking him. This squad is incredibly limited tactically, without a healthy Cav and Costa there's only so much we can do.

Tbh I think Lambert deserves more credit than he's getting for arresting the slide we were on. It would not have been surprising if he'd lost the dressing room after 6 losses against mostly poor opposition. Clearly, though, he hasn't.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'm surprised that it seems some of our older fans - fans who have been around to see the good, the bad and the ugly - are coming across as the least impatient ones.

Lambert is made manager, Cavaleiro is fit, Wolves win games, Lambert is great...Cav gets injured, Wolves lose because teams double team Costa and there is no decent replacement, Lambert out!
Cav comes back and Wolves go on a good run. Give Lambert some real quality signings with some real quality in depth and things may be fine but I don't think Thelwell is up to the task of finding those players

I'm surprised that it seems some of our older fans - fans who have been around to see the good, the bad and the ugly - are coming across as the least impatient ones.

I think I am normally supportive of managers, but I was not convinced about Lambert's appointment, and I am even less convinced that he is the man who can get Wolves promoted. Just my opinion.

If we keep up this current form and stay up relatively comfortably then lambert deserves to stay, hopefully we add a couple more costa/cavaleiro types in the summer and improve the other areas we all agree with and he can make us a top 6 side.

My worry is that we end up in the same position as this year by November and he loses his job and it's another wasted season

If we keep up this current form and stay up relatively comfortably then lambert deserves to stay, hopefully we add a couple more costa/cavaleiro types in the summer and improve the other areas we all agree with and he can make us a top 6 side.

My worry is that we end up in the same position as this year by November and he loses his job and it's another wasted season

I know the league doesn't lie but I don't think our position reflects our ability. I believe our current squad should be in and around the top six, making the changes talked about should have us challenging for the top two

Lambert is made manager, Cavaleiro is fit, Wolves win games, Lambert is great...Cav gets injured, Wolves lose because teams double team Costa and there is no decent replacement, Lambert out!
Cav comes back and Wolves go on a good run. Give Lambert some real quality signings with some real quality in depth and things may be fine but I don't think Thelwell is up to the task of finding those players

pretty much spot on Mike

Back