• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Lambert

Does anyone remember WBA fans chanting "Sammy Chung and his Chinese take-aways!" in the mid 1970s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha ha yes I remember that well. I was working with Sammy and he didn't fuss about it at all.

It must have been late 70's because I remember it :)

Could Sammy come back til the end of the season ? He's only 84.

The Wigan boss has been sacked today. Blackburn sacking their Manager doesn't seem to have done them any harm. Bristol City have improved since sacking their Manager last month.

I worried about sacking Lambert because of what happened when we sacked Solbakken. Should we stick or twist ? It's a tough call.

I know it's stating the bleedin' obvious, but I suppose it's ok if you appoint the right person. Could we trust this lot to do that even if they sacked Lambert ? What happens if we lose our next two games ? Then the pressure on the board just intensifies. What a mess.

Where does all the conjecture about KT and his alleged involvement. Do we know for certain he is behind the transfers for example? I see loads elsewhere moaning about his insistence on playing a certain formation for example because it fits the youth policy set out by him, however everytime I see anything about the youth side its that they are fluid and dynamic and get the ball down. So that makes me question if what people say about him being involved in the transfers or having any sort of say in the first team. Due to the apparent contradiction.

He met with the fans parliament and he and Jez at the time stated that the point of DOF was so that the same formation, type of players, style of play could be consistently applied across all teams from the under 9s up to the first team, which would then mean a change of manager would have minimised impact.

I think the anti-Thelwell stuff comes from those comments.

The U23s don't play like the first team at the moment. They've been lining up in very attacking 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 shapes for a lot of this season which I think we've done twice at senior level all campaign (Leeds and Sheff Wed at home, both utter fucking shit, and that's only in terms of basic formation, the intent was not attacking in either game really).

Indeed it does Paddy. I've only seeen the U23's twice in the last two years but they certainly didn't get the ball down and play. They were very poor in possession and generally played on the counter. All a bit football by numbers for me though.

There is no secret we play the same turgid crap under every manager and the coaches are the same. Lauded by Thelwell but I haven't seen anything to tell me they are other than tripe.

I do know Thelwell's scouting system and the type of person he was after and I certainly wouldn't trust his system.

Where does all the conjecture about KT and his alleged involvement. Do we know for certain he is behind the transfers for example? I see loads elsewhere moaning about his insistence on playing a certain formation for example because it fits the youth policy set out by him, however everytime I see anything about the youth side its that they are fluid and dynamic and get the ball down. So that makes me question if what people say about him being involved in the transfers or having any sort of say in the first team. Due to the apparent contradiction.

Do you think Zenga had seen enough of Batth to award him a huge new contract in September or do you think Thelwell pushed that one?

Likewise Lambert after a month knew he had to get Edwards and Ikeme tied down to large new deals or do you think that was Thelwell pushing it?

Indeed, Lambert was bemoaning our massive squad while we were tying EEL to a 3 1/2 year contract in case he returns as the second coming of Lescott..

I think Edwards actually got his deal when we didn't have a manager.

The contract extensions are clearly club policy (which you can only conclude is driven by Thelwell, who else would it be) and it's bloody stupid. Been going on for 18 months too, going back to Doherty's ridiculous deal when he wasn't even in the team and hadn't been consistently for months.

I think Edwards actually got his deal when we didn't have a manager.

The contract extensions are clearly club policy (which you can only conclude is driven by Thelwell, who else would it be) and it's bloody stupid. Been going on for 18 months too, going back to Doherty's ridiculous deal when he wasn't even in the team and hadn't been consistently for months.

BBC report was Dec 5th for Edwards agreeing. Lambert appointed 5th Nov.

I stand corrected, this season has messed with my mind :)

When Thelwell was made DOF wasn't it basically made out to be that he was essentially at Jez's level but with the football rather than the money? Suggests he has an enormous amount of clout at the club and indeed Jeff Shi and the other Fosun bloke who stays in England are probably the only people with the authority to sack him.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Scott Sellars does a great job with the U23s, I wonder if he'd ever make the step up to the first team?

Scott Sellars does a great job with the U23s, I wonder if he'd ever make the step up to the first team?
Certainly a night and day difference at that level since he replaced Weaver.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Remember we did finish bottom of the league last season with 2 wins from 22 games. Under Sellars.

Do you think Zenga had seen enough of Batth to award him a huge new contract in September or do you think Thelwell pushed that one?

Likewise Lambert after a month knew he had to get Edwards and Ikeme tied down to large new deals or do you think that was Thelwell pushing it?

Indeed, Lambert was bemoaning our massive squad while we were tying EEL to a 3 1/2 year contract in case he returns as the second coming of Lescott..

No idea, hence my asking. There is precious little clarity in professional football. What was happening with the sporting director we briefly had? Despite the limited appeal of those players I am not totally against them getting new contracts despite them having little resell value. Contracts are fleeting on both sides and unwanted players can be moved on or aside.

Thanks to the answers from everyone btw.

I wouldn't complain if we sacked Lambert but equally I'm not sure Garcia or Sousa are any better.

There is more chance of Dicko and Bod scoring than Lambert being sacked.

I like the guy, I just about get the accent, and I think he talks sense. He seems to have the dressing room with him.

Change is not always a good thing. If any club should know that, it's ours.

Lambert has better players at his disposal now so the rest of this season he can prove to Fosun and the fans he is up to it. It's been so up and down I really don't know what to think but if we go on a decent run now and get some quality additions in I wouldn't sack him.

A new manager would mean another season of stagnation and noone wants that.

I have seen flashes of some really good football but then I've seen some really odd team selections.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Back