• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Lambert

By the way my idea was based on a worse case scenario of us losing the next two matches, Lambert being sacked and who could we possibly attract...I have no desire to see any of this come to fruition and want to get to the end of the season, still in the Championship and have Fosun sack everyone but Lambert and allow him the freedom to bring in his own staff and players

That's the outcome I want as well Mike. I'm coming to the Rotherham game so hopefully our post match beverage will be a cheerier one assuming you're around?!

That's the outcome I want as well Mike. I'm coming to the Rotherham game so hopefully our post match beverage will be a cheerier one assuming you're around?!

Yes Ian, I'm down this Saturday...You know me, sucker for punishment!

Exactly - so why would it be any different with anyone else currently working in the coaching staff?

The main issue for me are the players and their attitudes - why were they so up for it against Liverpool, Chelsea etc but so half arsed against the likes of Wigan and Blues mere weeks later? FWIW I don't think they quite appreciated how dire the situation was so took their foot off the gas. I expect Lambert to ramp up the pressure on them and stress the importance of the run in - if he were to leave, I don't think enough of the players have the bollocks to step up their game for anyone already working at the club. Too many players here believe they're too good to go down.

You can't play the same against Wigan and Blues as you do against Chelsea and Liverpool. Different tactics for different games. That is the failure of our current style of play and the manager for thinking he can do precisely that with the same players. Wolves have shown for the last 2 seasons this cannot work so why the coaching staff and others think they can I don't know.

As for binning Lambert, he must go if we lose the next 2 games and a new manager (Rowett or Warburton for me) would have to have the reassurances that Thelwell and the rest of the coaching staff will be gone now or at the end of the season.

Players are only as good as their instructions and picking the same players to do the same things against sides that doesn't work against is going to get the same results. It just seems like complete and utter tactical naivety.

I'm with LK I wouldn't hang you hat on Sellars either, Man City weren't exactly disappointed to see him leave. Gill was a bit of a shame to see go as it's his work with Ennis, Ronan and Herc which has clearly set the groundwork for these players to be who they are.

My quick back of an envelope calculation has Lambert as P17 W5 D3 L9 Pts 18 For 21 Against 25. Saunders' record (from Wiki) was 20 5-5-10, which is far too close a comparison

I don't see any advantage to getting rid of Lambert at the moment. As long as Thelwell is running the show we will keep having the same problems. This is the man that has proudly sat next to some very medoicre players this season while they have been signing their shiny new contracts.

PL hasn't helped himself recently with some poor team selections and awful hoofball but binning him while retaining Thelwell and the coaching staff (and the likes of Edwards, Batth & Coady) would more than likely see no improvement at all.

I don't think Lambert is the right man going forward but I'd rather see if he could do things any differently without the help of Thelwell, Edwards etc...

My quick back of an envelope calculation has Lambert as P17 W5 D3 L9 Pts 18 For 21 Against 25. Saunders' record (from Wiki) was 20 5-5-10, which is far too close a comparison

Saunders was 5-5-7 after 17 games.

I think the cup games (in which we played well twice) which broke up the results could be masking some of the issues we're facing too.
Take out the cup games, and we have won 2 league games since boxing day. One other (0-0) draw means that we've accumulated 7 points in that time. That kinda run is really bad.
It didn't seem that bad owing to the really good feel factor from the cup games.
It is now being laid bare somewhat.

This weekend, Lamberts reaction was somewhat telling. 5 changes. Iorfa back starting (from nowhere), changed the entire back 4. Obviously some other interesting/questionable changes. I listed on the radio, and haven't yet read the verdict thread, but I didn't hear Marshall being involved at all.
I think the below from TT is bang on. It isn't the case that all the players we have are shite. Some are more than good enough. The right blend needs to be found, and the youth need to be given greater opportunities imo.
What if there wasn't any money available for a striker, left back or keeper? Still Lambert's fault?

Personally I blame him for some poor team selections, Edwards at 10 is indefensible, particularly when his best form this season was playing deeper.

I blame him for poor in game management, a fat Marshall coming on left wing to try and save / win games against Wigan and Burton rather than Ronan.

I blame him for agricultural football, lumping the ball at a centre forward who doesn't win anything in the air against 6 ft 4 centre halves.

I don't blame him for having a crock of shit to work with.

On the sacking front, there's enough in this post for me to question whether he's the man and I do believe upgrades will be out there. If we don't win on Saturday we will go down, confidence will be completely shot and the fans who I think in the main have been decent this season will turn. Therefore we won't have anything to lose by getting rid, although I take DW's point re who'd take it.

BTW I also take the point we'd struggle to attract anyone of merit right now. I wouldn't want Warburton. I'd consider Rowett. If Lambert got us to above 18th, I'd go with him to start the next season.

I don't see any advantage to getting rid of Lambert at the moment. As long as Thelwell is running the show we will keep having the same problems. This is the man that has proudly sat next to some very medoicre players this season while they have been signing their shiny new contracts.

PL hasn't helped himself recently with some poor team selections and awful hoofball but binning him while retaining Thelwell and the coaching staff (and the likes of Edwards, Batth & Coady) would more than likely see no improvement at all.

I don't think Lambert is the right man going forward but I'd rather see if he could do things any differently without the help of Thelwell, Edwards etc...

Pretty much my position too.

I am far from impressed with Lambert but feel the problem lies with the old guard and it is they that should go first. I'd be ok with Lambert as a more traditional manager with his own backroom staff and a proper DOF/SD (Butti for instance) and see how PL does.

If they chose to replace PL I'd have no issues but feel it could be too late and disruptive at this point in the season

Butti??!!

We don't need people like that around the club, seriously.

I tip my hat top you sir. Bang on the money.

We need to stay up and give Lambert a full pre season with Fosun's backing financially. Clear out the dead wood, recruit players that will improve our squad and then, by - say - October, we can judge him.

If u go down the dof line at least bring in someone with a bit of charisma! Ranieri? Then an Italian coach, not Zenga? Thelwell has to go.

Lambert has more holes than a swiss cheese in charge to stay if you take away the cup win at anfield.. Bin him.. Dont like his game approaches either

So what are the options ?

option 1 PL stays and tries to sort this mess out, i think I'm right in saying, 1 more bad result, and he has the worse record of any wolves manager in
recent times, including Saunders !! doesn't install confidence that he can keep us up.

option 2 Replace him, but with who ? who would come here ?
no manager wants a relegation on their cv, but some posters have suggested that Fosun have deep pockets and a finacial carrot may do the trick !

the back room staff are a problem and hopefully get sorted in the summer,maybe one or two before then
in my view opt 2 with the right person ,will give us a better chance of staying up .

So what are the options ?

option 1 PL stays and tries to sort this mess out, i think I'm right in saying, 1 more bad result, and he has the worse record of any wolves manager in
recent times, including Saunders !! doesn't install confidence that he can keep us up.

option 2 Replace him, but with who ? who would come here ?
no manager wants a relegation on their cv, but some posters have suggested that Fosun have deep pockets and a finacial carrot may do the trick !

the back room staff are a problem and hopefully get sorted in the summer,maybe one or two before then
in my view opt 2 with the right person ,will give us a better chance of staying up .

Fuck knows at the moment! I am praying for 6 points and pressure off. I want him to succeed. I want all wolves managers to succeed. Hell I would support Jeremy Corbyn if he were wolves manager and succeeding! Let's see how we do this week and hope the tactics and selection from Lambert are right!

One thing I cannot stand is that Lambert still doesn't know his best XI. He came in and talked like a heavyweight champion but after a succession of batterings from featherweights he is stumbling about from corner to corner like Frank Bruno.

We have 2 choices here. Throw in the towel or sponge him down and grease him up and send him back out to turn this around.

Ding Ding!!

He really should know the best 11 by now

Ikeme in goal due to lack of any alternative

Iorfa - Williamson/Stearman - Hause - random player (we don't have an actual LB)

2 of Price/Saiss/Evans (the others being played there aren't actual footballers)

Costa + 2 of Bod/Mason/Weimann/Marshall/Bright/Gibbs-White (+ Cav/Graham when fit to play if at all this season)

Dicko/Ennis (would like to see the latter if only to see what the hype is about & his scoring record will have to go some way to be as bad as the former's so far)

The rest can be ignored for the remaining games, but can be on the bench to run around and help close games down when we are 1 up in the last few minutes - would have put Prince in the team somewhere, but we have sent him into exile on the continent

What will be interesting to see is how Lambert manages the few creative attacking players we have on the books. We desperately lack people that can run with the ball, at the moment its pretty much Costa, bringing Cav and Graham will help a lot in that department but the manager has to pick them. Similar problem with central midfield, in order to accomodate Dangerous Dave we are sacrificing a creative player (Evans is about it at the moment with Ronan out) and again the manager has to choose to play them.

I know Cav was very hit and miss, but he would create Chaos for the other side, which helps Costa so much and I am sure Graham would do the same.

It all rests on Lambert, he does have the players to create a more balanced side, if he doesn't do that he can have no argument about getting the boot.

Back