• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Lambert

Jackett, Zenga, and now Lambert.

All have had pretty much the same bunch of players to utilise and all of them have struggled to get consistent results.

The problem is the squad isn't good enough, not the manager. We can get rid of Lambert and the new bloke will shuffle the same pack of players around and hope for the best. It's not the manager's fault we have strikers who can't score, midfielders who can't create and defenders who panic when the ball gets in our box.

Lambert is good enough to keep a club in this division, we just have to hope the players can perform to the basic level they're employed for. They shouldn't be anywhere near relegation, and if it happens it's on them.

The difference being all of those managers have complete control of the playing side.

You really believe Steve Evans did.. I beg to differ, the Italian was in around team selection at Leeds constantly.

All have had pretty much the same bunch of players to utilise and all of them have struggled to get consistent results.

The problem is the squad isn't good enough, not the manager. We can get rid of Lambert and the new bloke will shuffle the same pack of players around and hope for the best. It's not the manager's fault we have strikers who can't score, midfielders who can't create and defenders who panic when the ball gets in our box.

Lambert is good enough to keep a club in this division, we just have to hope the players can perform to the basic level they're employed for. They shouldn't be anywhere near relegation, and if it happens it's on them.

If a new manager comes in and plays the best team he can select he'll get better results

Based on what evidence? All the managers have tried various combinations, including ones we were happy with at kick-off. It doesn't guarantee results.

Good post.

When we had won a few games in Jan all the talk of us not being far away from being a class team didn't st well with me at all. This squad is light-years away but the culture of back patting and being entirely too pleased with mediocre performances persists. The change needs to happen at both the top and bottom, changing the guy in the middle (the manager) isn't going to do anything.

Based on what evidence? All the managers have tried various combinations, including ones we were happy with at kick-off. It doesn't guarantee results.

From my perspective I don't think I've seen lambert play a team I was 100% happy with

Have kept off here this morning on the basis that it could have been filled with vitriol – a little of that, but some reasoned posts as well.
Binning Lambert at this point will gain us little unless the rest of the backroom team go at the same time – suspect that would be so disruptive that it might well finish us off.
What he needs to do is stop listening to the voices in his head – play the ones who have shown that they have something about them & ignore those that don’t.

Ikeme (he’s suspect, but better than Lonergan so Hobson’s choice)
Iorfa – Williamson/Stearman (just not Batth) – Hause – Random LB (in fact we may as well have a competition, if your selection matches Lambert’s then you get a booby prize of a free ticket to the next game)
2 of Price/Saiss/Evans (just not Coady/Edwards/Saville or any combination of them)
Costa + 2 of Bodvarsson/Enobakhare/Mason/Marshall/Gibbs White with Cavaleiro preferred once fit
Dicko (though once Ennis is fit to play would give him a go on the basis that he hasn’t got to do that much to be better)

Just drag enough points out to stay up then there is a period when hard choices need to be made - suspect that if Lambert can manage that he will still struggle to be here come the start of next season

Good post.

When we had won a few games in Jan all the talk of us not being far away from being a class team didn't st well with me at all. This squad is light-years away but the culture of back patting and being entirely too pleased with mediocre performances persists. The change needs to happen at both the top and bottom, changing the guy in the middle (the manager) isn't going to do anything.

I agree with this, though not changing the guy in the middle could cost us dear. Lambert should have done something about the team in January, but he didn't. And sometimes I do think he puts all the players names in a hat and the first eleven he pulls out play. Sometimes hard divisions need to be made, and in my opinion now is the time.

There's some rank hypocracy going on on this forum. People saying back the manager but then lambasting him for not playing certain players.

The bare facts are this manager now has a worse record than his predecessors with roughly the same squad. You can't have it both ways.

I do accept it's catch 22, sacking Lambert would be no good unless you sack all the backroom staff from DoF down as they are the constant, however sacking them now may well be a terrible thing unless you have somebody lined up. If you keep them at the moment they must know they are gone at the end of the season so unless they are driven by money (or in Lambert and Thelwell's case not being relegated) what's the point in them bothering to do well?

Agree that if Lambert goes then so does everyone else, otherwise it will change nothing

Suspect that it would be so disruptive that it would finish us off.

As to doing well - then they need to make sure that they keep us in this league if they want another job at this level again - self preservation if nothing else

There's some rank hypocracy going on on this forum. People saying back the manager but then lambasting him for not playing certain players.

The bare facts are this manager now has a worse record than his predecessors with roughly the same squad. You can't have it both ways.

I do accept it's catch 22, sacking Lambert would be no good unless you sack all the backroom staff from DoF down as they are the constant, however sacking them now may well be a terrible thing unless you have somebody lined up. If you keep them at the moment they must know they are gone at the end of the season so unless they are driven by money (or in Lambert and Thelwell's case not being relegated) what's the point in them bothering to do well?

I think the point is that people can see that Lambert would be a decent manager (clearly better than his predecessors regardless of their records) if he had better players to work with.

The problem is the recruitment, the general philosophy of hard work over talent and several players who have long overstayed their welcome, were never good enough in the first place or have been underperforming for a long time.

I don't think it's hypocrisy to be unhappy with Lambert's subs/selections but still recognise that he's far from the most pressing problem at the club atm.

But it doesn't have to be black or white though. Deutsch has put forward several very good posts regarding Lambert, why sacking him now would be a mistake but without shifting the blame from his performance which is clearly not up to standard. That's where I stand TBH but he said it much better and clearer than I could.

I hope he stays on (as I believe we'll stay up) and we make the necessary changes in the summer - Thelwell, the coaches and a lot of the players simply need replacing. They have been an issue way before Lambert arrived here and I want to see what Lambert can do with Fosun's resources over the summer months.

Wouldn't think that getting rid of Lambert now is sensible, even if we get rid of the other backroom staff at the same time.

Still not entirely convinced that he is the way forward from here though

too late in the day to ditch him tbh. especially as its 'possible' he may at last realised that Batth and Gloves are crap - 2 down and 5 still to go

too late in the day to ditch him tbh. especially as its 'possible' he may at last realised that Batth and Gloves are crap - 2 down and 5 still to go

Let's see, I think one of them will start the next game

I think we are stuck between a rock and a hard place and Lambert gets the rest of the season by default. Its a horrible position for the club to be in and , as you may be able to tell by my posts recently , makes me very very angry. Most of that anger is because we are still playing the players that pretty much everyone on here wanted to replace 2 summers ago , and again last summer. I predict that no wolves team challenging for the top 6 will have Ikeme, Mr Gloves, Dangerous Dave, Batth, Savile, Bod, Mason, as anything more than occasional bit part squad members if they are still here.

The start of next season team , I hope in the championship would read something like

New

Iorfa Williamson/ New Hause New

Price Saiss

Costa New Cavellero

New

Obviously losing six league matches in a row is unacceptable, but Lambert and the squad will surely know this.

I can understand the anger but equally I think there's not been enough mention that yesterday was an improvement in terms of team selection and performance.

Obviously losing six league matches in a row is unacceptable, but Lambert and the squad will surely know this.

I can understand the anger but equally I think there's not been enough mention that yesterday was an improvement in terms of team selection and performance.

But Alan it wasnt. He giveth in one hand and taketh away in the other!
Doherty Batth Wiemann all replaced- tick
Price Dropped?
Saiss in- Tick
Saville at left back? wtf?
Marshall in a forward role?

There were as many raised eyebrows as there were handclaps at that team sheet. And despite the changes we still lost and conceded our usual shitty goal. It is alright to try and look for positives I get that. I also get people quoting statistics. Reading had only won one of their previous 5 matches so hardly on hot form themselves- must have been glad to see the old gold roll up ! Wigan have only won one game in their last half dozen and that was against us. Burton 1 of their last 5. Against us. You will have to forgive me with us visiting Ipswich without a win themselves in their last four and Rotherham who havent won since forever our next two opponents it really is now or never to turn it around. Fail to take 4 points of these next two teams and you can start to prepare for league one. There is no way Lambert survives a run of 8 straight defeats either even in the absence of a viable alternative.

Back