• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Keir Starmer at it again..

I doubt it, but I reckon Dire wants the current government to be the 'public servants' they professed to be and not 'more of the same'.

I suspect what Dire and others actually want is a 'genuine' and overt left wing government, right from the off.

I think it's reasonable to challenge Labour on individual policies and priorities from a perspective further to the left, but expecting this government to act like Corbyn's would about every matter is wholly unrealistic and only going to lead to frustration and anger

I think when Starmer has spent the last few years slagging the Tories off for cronyism and corruption, and promising a return to government for service and not self interest, that if he wants some fucking glasses or his wife wants a dress, that they do what we all do and buy it themselves.

If you spend ages wailing about how the phrase "they're all the same" doesn't apply to you and your party of principle, and you're then seen to do the exact same thing (even if the amounts and specifics are different), then frankly you deserve the shit that's thrown at you.

the way the tories were on the ridiculous take to the fucking tune of millions during johnsons tenure, and people/the media are blowing up this story to this extent?

Sue Gray's salary demonstrates is that the Prime Minster is underpaid for the role they do. I also think that MPs are too. Because of the politics, the PM's salary and MPs salary aren't going to increase but if they are serious about restricting second incomes and also do something about expenses (like their own fuel allowance) then that has to come with a proper non-partisan analysis of MPs terms and conditions, including pay.

Sue Gray could earn more as a Chief Executive Officer of some Multi Academy Trusts.

A lot of the same things are happening now that were 12 months ago, yet it's strange how the narrative has changed not only in the media and on my social media but on here too.

Last edited:
Sue Gray's salary demonstrates is that the Prime Minster is underpaid for the role they do. I also think that MPs are too. Because of the politics, the PM's salary and MPs salary aren't going to increase but if they are serious about restricting second incomes and also do something about expenses (like their own fuel allowance) then that has to come with a proper non-partisan analysis of MPs terms and conditions, including pay.

Sue Gray could earn more as a Chief Executive Officer of some Multi Academy Trusts.
Absolutely. It's how you end up with clowns like Rees-Mogg and Johnson (who have never had to work a day in their life if they didn't want to, and my word, how it showed) being prominent in politics.

As a career choice for those who have the required aptitude, it isn't especially attractive.

A lot of the same things are happening now that were 12 months ago, yet it's strange how the narrative has changed not only in the media and on my social media but on here too.
Are you sure mate?

1) You really think that Labour are not only behaving the same way as the 2010-2024 Tories, but the media are giving them an easy ride? As opposed to say, Boris Johnson, on either count? Seriously?

2) You don't understand why people might be more pre-disposed to giving this lot a fair go after 14 years of that shite, and the appalling characters that they kept throwing up?

3) I mean they've already solved more than one public pay dispute that the Tories let fester for literally fucking years. We had YEARS of train strikes. How unthinkable would that have been in say, 2005? But it happened. And now it's been fixed.

4) It's two and a half months since Labour came to power and over half of it has been taken up with Parliamentary recess (which is a nonsense, but that's another topic).

5) Some of the accusations at Labour are very much a mix of false equivalence and proper tinfoil hat crackpottery.

Wow. Way to misinterpret my post....again.

I think the media are picking on things Labour are doing that they never did about the Tories.

Same with people on my social media.

But on here there is some sympathy for things Labour are doing that are very similar/the same as the Tories.

Your post kind of highlights that, how quick you were to defend, defend, defend.

I don't mean it maliciously, I didn't know what you were on about. I don't have access to your Facebook feed, do I.

I've no real skin in the game beyond hoping that I never see another Tory government in the 30-50 years I might have left on this planet.

I think the media are picking on things Labour are doing that they never did about the Tories.

Same with people on my social media.

Absolutely mate. Seen a LOT of this on my social media feed.

This is not to defend some of the things the current government have done, but I can't agree with the 'they're the same as the last lot' argument. Because they're nowhere near as bad. And I think that they are due a little bit of leeway as they try to sort out some of the absolute bullshit they've been lumbered with.

I really do wish that the people who have been so very quick to criticise the current government would have treated the Tories the same way and voiced such vociferous disapproval at far worse policies that did severe harm to so many people over the past 14 years.

A lot of pensioners who are currently not happy about the winter fuel allowance and taking to Facebook to vent their anger at the government didn't seem to be that bothered about policies that caused untold harm to children in poverty or people simply struggling to make ends meet under the Tories.

The current government are of course not immune from criticism but the balance over the years compared to now seems somewhat off.

It's just politics (small p) and the ones who ruled for so many years, and their sycophants in the media, are just settling into opposition. The hypocrisy is breath-taking but the Labour Party have had years to prepare for the moment they took control so...

Taking money for clothes and glasses while cutting payments to pensioners was never going to be a good look, especially if you are otherwise financially well off (unlike BoJo). That's how politics works.

Resolving the train driver's dispute without getting any meaningful concessions will always lead to "in the pockets of the unions" allegations. Their messaging around this hasn't been particularly effective.

The art of politics includes being able to manage the messaging...and they've been pretty poor so far and have handed the initiative to opposing voices.

I really do wish that the people who have been so very quick to criticise the current government would have treated the Tories the same way and voiced such vociferous disapproval at far worse policies that did severe harm to so many people over the past 14 years.

A lot of pensioners who are currently not happy about the winter fuel allowance and taking to Facebook to vent their anger at the government didn't seem to be that bothered about policies that caused untold harm to children in poverty or people simply struggling to make ends meet under the Tories.
100% this.

It's infuriating.

Resolving the train driver's dispute without getting any meaningful concessions will always lead to "in the pockets of the unions" allegations. Their messaging around this hasn't been particularly effective.
That IS annoying. Paint it as a win! You fixed something that is very important and the previous lot didn't even come close to doing despite putting various Bruno Lage types in charge.

Old gammony cunts on Facebook aren't really on my register so I don't care what they think.

Back