• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Keir Starmer at it again..

Spent the last week with loads of OAP’s such as myself on an all inclusive holiday in Olhas di Agua Albufeira, all worried sick that they are gonna lose the winter fuel allowance.

Not sure if that's posted in a sarcastic sense or not?

Anyway this is piss weak until he throws out the Sky Summer Party line
I like Beth Rigby she's one of the best out there but it really grates that she claims she's speaking for people when she isn't.

All the journalists are at it claiming the country is up in arms over claiming freebies when that just isn't the case.

Good on him for the Sky Party line which she ignored.

That whole 'getting a different house so my son could study' thing is just fucking ridiculous tbh.

If that's going to be your line, then at least have the grace and self awareness to say "yes, my position has opened up favours to me that are exceptional, and I've taken them sometimes for the good of me personally, and others for the good of my family. I'm well aware that my position is priviledged, but want to be absolutely clear that there is no quid pro quo. And stop talking about how much more moral and public service centric you are when compared to the Tories.

It wouldn't be half the news it has been if he hadn't spent the last few years being so fucking preachy about the Tories doing similar things, even if the sums and the reasons are different. Just front it up, say it's a job that has many perks, but the perks don't influence policy, and it stops being news. Until the perks influence policy, obvs.

I’m actually ok with the house thing and protecting his kids, likewise the ST Arsenal situation. The dynamic changed and it wasn’t really feasible to continue as before and its not unreasonable as PM he’d have influential contacts offering to help out.

It starts to get a bit questionable around concert tickets etc but I guess he can’t just buy £40 tickets himself and sit in the upper circle for security reasons. It gets pretty indefensible though with work clothes and glasses. You have to wonder what he’s thinking at this point and gives his accusers arguments some real credibility. Can’t say he hasn’t brought any of this on himself.

Biggest surprise to me though is the fact a single ticket to the British Kebab Awards cost £522. However, I guess too busy to attend that one so very kindly donated to a member of staff. Nice touch that Keir, a man of the people after all.

That whole 'getting a different house so my son could study' thing is just fucking ridiculous tbh.

If that's going to be your line, then at least have the grace and self awareness to say "yes, my position has opened up favours to me that are exceptional, and I've taken them sometimes for the good of me personally, and others for the good of my family. I'm well aware that my position is priviledged, but want to be absolutely clear that there is no quid pro quo. And stop talking about how much more moral and public service centric you are when compared to the Tories.

It wouldn't be half the news it has been if he hadn't spent the last few years being so fucking preachy about the Tories doing similar things, even if the sums and the reasons are different. Just front it up, say it's a job that has many perks, but the perks don't influence policy, and it stops being news. Until the perks influence policy, obvs.
You mean like Labour ditching the digital service tax raise after Jonathon Reynolds was taken on a trip to Glastonbury paid for by YouTube? That kind of influence on policy decisions you mean?

He has said that on both BBC and ITV interviews.

I'm actually not that bothered about the freebies, sadly I just expect it. What I find extraordinary is how dumb they all are, surely they all have advisors and personal assistants who are supposed to keep them from doing damaging things or embarrassing situations.

Was watching an episode of Yes Prime Minister yesterday (from the 80's) and the PM in that had to cancel his plans for reform due to all the hospitality freebies he'd taken from the tobacco industry. Obviously none from them anymore but it's been going on forever and is unlikely to ever stop.

Has he said it to my face? No.

In all seriousness though, I actually haven't heard it (or if I have, it hasn't stuck) so there's a failure in messaging there
Definitely a failure of messaging. But then the media want the chaos and the bile this causes as people click on their stories. More money for them via advertising and so on.

It's grim.

Was watching an episode of Yes Prime Minister yesterday (from the 80's) and the PM in that had to cancel his plans for reform due to all the hospitality freebies he'd taken from the tobacco industry. Obviously none from them anymore but it's been going on forever and is unlikely to ever stop.
That program was insanely accurate for satire.

Thatcher said it was very accurate indeed

high fat emulsified offal tube instead of the british banger was a classic episode

Reeves no longer wedded to scrapping non-dom status depending on an OBR report in which it's speculated that any savings will be offset y damage caused by them leaving.

I don't care. If they're avoiding tax, they can fuck off, and we can stop them earning money in this country until they pay the correct tax. Don't like it, fine - fuck off, and fuck off again. They and their companies need our economy.

Back