• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2022 Transfer Thread

Literally, because Adama isn’t very good?

Haha touche. But more on the fact that by doing so, you'd then have players like Neves, Raul, Neto all expecting to be compensated fairly in comparison. To do that we'd likely be breaking the 200k a week barrier pretty quickly.

Sky Sports News just as bad this morning, discussing how Man Utd ought to go and sign Neves as though it's as easy as popping into Greggs for a sausage roll. I hate the way they assume everyone will let the 'big' clubs tickle their bellies.

Yeah I agree, but I do think it's a useful stat - somebody with his amount of touches, and his average position (he's usually our 2nd or 3rd highest player!) really needs to be more effective going forward. That's the basis on which I'd be pretty comfortable selling him at c£25m. He's a very good footballer, but he's not actually doing what we need him to, generally.

It's a nothing stat in isolation, many are, you could argue either way that he's either rubbish because he sees so much of the ball but has little to show for it or argue that he's doing well to provide an outlet and be available to receive the ball so often.

I've said it several times before, the wingbacks get a raw deal in this team even if they're by no means perfect themselves. They're often left really isolated when they get the ball high up the pitch, not something that unique to those positions, and expected to conjure something up in the way you'd expect Traore to.

They should have more reliable outlets than they currently do. If they're running onto things in space, like Semedo was a few times first half against United, then you need something busting a gut through the middle so they can whip something across early before they can be closed down, Wolves don't have anyone offering that support at the moment. Alternatively, if the build up is slower and they're hanging wide to stretch the play then they need runners inside to take advantage of space that defenders have vacated to close them down, either the wide forwards running in behind or the midfielders pushing up for a square pass inside.

It happens all across the pitch, or doesn't which is the issue, where players don't anticipate the play far enough ahead. No-one runs for the 2nd or 3rd pass in a sequence of play until it's too late, forcing the man on the ball to take extra touches and lose the space they had. For players in central areas it isn't as noticable because they generally have more passing options around them but for your wingbacks stuck out on the periphery it's so easy to isolate them when they don't get the support quickly.

BB3FE124-8338-479C-9D37-F8F575287728.png
Hilarious stuff all round from The Athletic.

1. Adama is not a wing back
2. Spurs were not “close” to signing him in the summer. If I remember correctly, they made an abysmal loan offer
3. Doherty won’t be coming back here in a swap deal, if at all

Transfer windows are hard work, aren’t they?

If we don't quote them a higher price for having him back I'll be furious.

Spiers has said we anticipate the sale of Adama either this month or in the summer and that he’s nowhere near signing a new deal.

Given the choice of losing either Adama or Ruben, I can give you a comfortable answer on that one.

Spiers has said we anticipate the sale of Adama either this month or in the summer and that he’s nowhere near signing a new deal.

Given the choice of losing either Adama or Ruben, I can give you a comfortable answer on that one.
What a bizarre tweet that was from the official account then!

What is the general consensus on what should be spent etc?

On previous page mentioning about profit etc, do we expect a certain % of profit to be spent, the whole amount, or how much?

Just curious as I’ve never looked into it with as much detail before.

If we posted profit of 17.6m (well would’ve if not for Covid) and 19.5m previous year. If I’m using those figures in isolation (so assuming neither a profit nor loss this year) we would have 37.1m available (depreciated each year of course)

Even spending 50% of that could mean a net spend of 90m on players if all on a 5 year contract. For example.

Aware it’s a rolling 3 year period, but if we made a loss in 2018, we should now be in a position where we can definitely go big, and by big mean signing without the need to sell?

Neither was Victor Moses but Conte made it work.

I'm not saying it will work but I'd be interested to see it.
We’ve seen Adama at wing back before. He wasn’t very good.

That’s not to say at some point in the future he might be able to play there. But seems odd to want to buy him with the intention to specifically use him as a wing back.

Neither was Victor Moses but Conte made it work.

I'm not saying it will work but I'd be interested to see it.

In fairness to Moses, he at least used to work his bollocks off every single match. He was also a different athlete to Adama, there's zero chance of the latter bombing up and down a wing all game, he's built like a 100m sprinter he'd be absolutely shagged after about 25 minutes doing that.

In fairness to Moses, he at least used to work his bollocks off every single match. He was also a different athlete to Adama, there's zero chance of the latter bombing up and down a wing all game, he's built like a 100m sprinter he'd be absolutely shagged after about 25 minutes doing that.
Presumably it's this idea that he needs to be overly conservative with his energy that has trained him to stand stock still without the ball.

Probably something Pulis put in his head at Boro, the twat.

Presumably it's this idea that he needs to be overly conservative with his energy that has trained him to stand stock still without the ball.

Probably something Pulis put in his head at Boro, the twat.
Apparently not, that's on us and more specifically the ex-sprinter we employed to coach him to use his speed and energy better.

Apparently not, that's on us and more specifically the ex-sprinter we employed to coach him to use his speed and energy better.
May as well have signed him as a wide receiver...

Back