• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2022 Transfer Thread

Fosun's change in strategy definitely coincided with the pandemic. All we can hope for is that they change back again once the losses suffered by their group *as a whole* (see below) level out again.

We know that the effect of the pandemic on the Wolves' finances is pretty limited. However, Fosun's other businesses are in some of the hardest hit economic sectors: retail, tourism, insurance, and real estate. I would not be surprised if the price hikes and lack of investment at the Wolves are a direct result of the significant losses suffered elsewhere in the group.
I thought the group made record profits due to their medical, mining and investment arms?

I thought the group made record profits due to their medical, mining and investment arms?
I'm not sure mate to be honest, I was just speculating. If it's the case that each arm is a mini-group in itself, then it could be that they're using Wolves to offset the Cirque de Soleil losses.

Fosun made a £929 Million profit in 2020 just over half the £1,725 Million profit they made in 2019.
Okay that's a significantly lower profit than would otherwise have been expected but for the pandemic. It will be interesting to see what the 2021 accounts show as I think the period ending 2021 is more relevant (EDIT: in terms of tracking what it might mean for the Wolves now and into the future).

Either way it's just showing involvement rather than effectiveness.
Yeah I agree, but I do think it's a useful stat - somebody with his amount of touches, and his average position (he's usually our 2nd or 3rd highest player!) really needs to be more effective going forward. That's the basis on which I'd be pretty comfortable selling him at c£25m. He's a very good footballer, but he's not actually doing what we need him to, generally.

From Wolves.co.uk

Overall, the financial loss for the year, after interest and tax, was £39.3m (profit of £19.5m in 2019).

It is important to note that, had broadcast revenues from suspended matchdays not been deferred, the club would have achieved a profit of £17.6m for the year, even with the permanent loss of matchday revenues for the final five home games of the season.

Am I right In saying that is we sign a player for, say 50m on a 5year contract, it only counts as 10m on the accounts as it’s throughout the term of the contract?

Am I right In saying that is we sign a player for, say 50m on a 5year contract, it only counts as 10m on the accounts as it’s throughout the term of the contract?
Yes you are correct.

The leisure sector in the US is expected to rebound strongly, but I think that’s because so many Americans still think COVID is a scam.

I’d hazard to guess that such a rebound would be later in Europe/Asia but so many variables to account for, it’s barely possible to predict.

Also notable that China is taking a seriously draconian stance (shock horror, I know) on video gaming that is leading to some speculation that recent Chinese investment in eSports may have to be rolled back. Obviously we can argue about whether any of that money would actually flow back to the club, but it’s still a worry overall, IMO.

No way they'd post that if he hadn't signed a new contract

Its pretty much the same thing as it normally is.

*Player X plays well against Man Utd*

Papers: Man Utd seriously interested in Player X!!!

Have to come up with something to shift copies

A bizarre Facebook page with quotes from Simon Stone that don't exist. Bang on the money.
Was sent it from a mate who’s a Utd fan so sounds about right.

Back