• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2022 Transfer Thread

By the end of the month you might even take a point of view yourself 🤔
Right, which point of view do you want me to take, do you want me to agree with the conspiracy theories, the fact the manager has said he would like some cover in certain positions (even that doesn't tally with the consensus on here) and that is transcribed into Jeff is getting 'flayed' or Jinkys view that "this can only end one way", We are two days into a window that is universally agreed is fairly poor for any significant signing, if we don't make any signings I will formally apologise on here, unreservedly, but seeing as you haven't stated 'your' point of view yet, it's a bit rich even making the statement, don't you think?

It isn't a conspiracy Paul, the manager has come out twice in successive windows saying the board knows what is needed and the board have failed to act on the first and likely given all the reporting that this window is the same

Claiming we're broke seems absolute bullshit to me. Add to that the complete fuck up in spending nearly £90m on 3 players in the last significant window where only one is ok then I think we've every right to be dubious over what the Chairman is going to do, don't you?

Given how well the back three have stepped up, we were never going big on a CH. Boly and Mosquera have played 0 minutes between them in the league, you'd imagine at some point they'll both be fit and both be proper options. We don't need six centre halves, we do need more than three central midfielders, one of whom is 35 and another has been out of form for 18 months.

Agreed but if he wants to go 4 at the back how many of our CBs would be able to manage that?

There are bigger obstacles to that than just buying another centre half tbh.
I’m more confident than I was in the summer of a back 4 working with the currently players we have (well, defenders) than I was pre season to be fair.

Anyway, the back 4 thing may well be null and void. Given Bruno has highlighted a striker, winger and CB this window (just seen something fly past my window) I would suggest the 4 at the back isn’t at the forefront of his mind

If Fosun want to run us as a business and even take a bit of money out of the club it is only possible to do so if we are in the PL. They aren't fools, the value of their investment plummets with relegation. Given Europe is probably out of reach this season and even if it weren't the additional income it brings is not that great, and relegation this season is highly unlikely there isn't much incentive to spend in January. It is widely acknowledged many players are not available unless you pay well over the odds so as a business waiting to spend in the summer makes sense. Whether they will spend then is anyone's guess but I won't be reading a lot into a low spend this month. Obviously it will bring focus onto rising ticket prices and not backing Lage but it seems pretty clear the fans who attend are no more important than Mexicans who will forget about us the moment Raul leaves. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to bother them and won't so long as there is a waiting list for STs. Lage won't walk until at least the summer so I suspect a gradual slide down the league awaits as our small squad gets tired and injured, oddly the bigger the slide the more likely a big summer spend is.

If Fosun want to run us as a business and even take a bit of money out of the club it is only possible to do so if we are in the PL. They aren't fools, the value of their investment plummets with relegation. Given Europe is probably out of reach this season and even if it weren't the additional income it brings is not that great, and relegation this season is highly unlikely there isn't much incentive to spend in January. It is widely acknowledged many players are not available unless you pay well over the odds so as a business waiting to spend in the summer makes sense. Whether they will spend then is anyone's guess but I won't be reading a lot into a low spend this month. Obviously it will bring focus onto rising ticket prices and not backing Lage but it seems pretty clear the fans who attend are no more important than Mexicans who will forget about us the moment Raul leaves. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to bother them and won't so long as there is a waiting list for STs. Lage won't walk until at least the summer so I suspect a gradual slide down the league awaits as our small squad gets tired and injured, oddly the bigger the slide the more likely a big summer spend is.
I’d love to see many how of those on the season ticket waiting list will stump up the £7-800+ per seat next season when it comes down to it.. might be a lot less than they (and others) think.

Last edited:
I’d love to see how of those on the season ticket waiting list will stump up the £7-800+ per seat next season when it comes down to it.. might be a lot less than they (and others) think.
Agreed. But how many ST holders won't renew knowing they might lose the opportunity to go to most games?

Agreed. But how many ST holders won't renew knowing they might lose the opportunity to go to most games?
I reckon there’ll be a good few 1000 next season perhaps - especially with no Covid discount making people realise actually how much it went up this season, plus next season’s rise to match up with their random benchmark.

With my 2 kids no longer in the U12 bracket I’m going to be facing well over a grand, probably closer to 1.5k I reckon, will need to think very carefully about that.

Based on new season ticket prices for this season that'd be £628 behind the goals. That's £33 a game. I can't see me paying that. FOMO would be the only thing that'd make me

Based on new season ticket prices for this season that'd be £628 behind the goals. That's £33 a game. I can't see me paying that. FOMO would be the only thing that'd make me
FOMO would need to be triggered by a couple of signings. Surely they know that, as they sure as hell won't get away with empty promises again.

FOMO would need to be triggered by a couple of signings. Surely they know that, as they sure as hell won't get away with empty promises again.
If we average less than a goal a game and bore everybody to death as we have been for large portions of the season I think prices will be the last straw even if they sign Haaland and De Jong.

Unless we're accepting Smarties as currency then Blues can't pay for him. Still potless.
That’s not far off the Jota sale model unfortunately.

seriously, this is beginning to be an all too familiar shit show

Not likely to happen by the end of May though is it? That was the renewal date for the last normal season

FOMO doesn't even exist this season. You can get tickets in the days leading up to the game very easily for virtually every game.

Back