• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2020 transfer window

Bit different though that. Costa's confidence had totally gone and we got a more than fair offer, Cav probably just isn't good enough and didn't want to sit on the bench. We know Donck is good enough.

(Also Nuno didn't sign either of them)

Donks best positions are DM in a similar system to a Leicester’s. CM in a 4 where he has a better ball player alongside him like Tielemans for Belgium or CB.

Where he played last year for us is not his game. Fair play to the bloke for playing so well in an unfamiliar role. He came into the team and offered an engine, physicality, mobility and reasonable enough ability on the ball. This solidified us in the middle and allowed us to still get the most out of Neves and João whilst also allowing us to get the most out of Doc. With Doc not playing and the team generally struggling this year It made a drop in form more noticeable.

Definitely still has a role here in midfield in the 3 against better teams or in a 2 when we need a bit more mobility and physicality.

In a 3-5-2 Donk has been first choice alongside Neves for a while. As Kenny alluded to, the home game against Burnley he was badly missed when he wasn't in the staring XI.

In a 3-4-3, RCB is the only place he's going to start games, unless one of Neves/Joao is injured. And since it seems Nuno has gone cool on Bennett recently, he'll probably keep his place there for the foreseeable future. He can be moved or subbed into CM to shore things up if Saiss isn't available to do that. But that's rarely going to be the case.

He was fine in the 3-4-3 vs Watford (Ruben wasn't playing very well so we left him out).

He's a fantastic player to have in the squad.

Because we're moving forward at an exceptional speed. It takes very little to slip out of the picture when we're shopping for the sort of players that we are.

But isn't the general consensus that we failed miserably in the transfer window?

How is Giles getting on?

He has 1 goal (which was an absolute stonker in to the top corner from a mile out) and 1 assist in about 13 games. My mate who is a Shrewsbury Town ST holder thinks he's a bit hit or miss. Which is a slight worry at that level. Weird because in the small glimpses of him in and around the first team here, he's looked a real talent.

It's his only real first team football though, you can't expect miracles.

Lescott was very hit and miss in his first season for us and we were only playing him because we had no external funding and no-one else to pick.

sorry Alan, your obsession that Donk is an also ran suggests clearly an american trying to understand football(soccer to you).
He is possibly the most versatile player we have and deserves the plaudits.
He is not a regular in a very good Belgian team, for fun.
You have made your point now can we move on?

sorry Alan, your obsession that Donk is an also ran suggests clearly an american trying to understand football(soccer to you).

Can the same apply for those who continue to tell us Adama is crap?

Practically all of our attacking play goes through him. I couldn't care less if he spanners a few crosses in to the first defender or out of play (Moutinho is the best player I've ever seen in a Wolves shirt and he still hits the first defender on about 85% of his corners). Adama causes complete havoc and chaos in the opposition's defence and has been responsible for a large chunk of our positive play this season. I couldn't care less if he "was a bit shit last season".

Anyway, sorry. Yeah - going around and around in circles with debates on the same players is quite boring, I agree.

Don't think anyone says he is crap (just that he was crap last season, and he really was).

The last few days it's been more around quelling the stance that he's now a world beater and/or our best player, he's doing quite well, he is deservedly first choice for us, let's hope he carries on that upward curve.

He has 1 goal (which was an absolute stonker in to the top corner from a mile out) and 1 assist in about 13 games. My mate who is a Shrewsbury Town ST holder thinks he's a bit hit or miss. Which is a slight worry at that level. Weird because in the small glimpses of him in and around the first team here, he's looked a real talent.

Its kind of what young players do though in what is also a hit and miss side as well.

Thought Dendoncker was very good yesterday and easily our best defender against Villa, but to say he can't play midfield any more is ridiculous. He started the season awfully (probably our worst player at times) but it was only 6 months ago everyone was praising him for adding another dimension to our game and looking totally imperious in the middle. Those two games where we beat Man United Donck was unreal, had him on Pogba and totally kept him out of the game!

Like Saiss I consider Donk a player who can do a good job in two different positions and we should be very grateful for that as it means we have able cover now Boly is out.

The condescension is bang out of order.

You disagree, fair enough, but I don't see winning a starting spot in our midfield getting any easier any time soon, do you?

Displacing Benno within our existing squad didn't seem so easy either and yet it's been done.

Don't know if I agree with that, Bennett has been the one of the back three that has always been the most likely to be replaced. In fact he's the only one who's been left out of the XI when healthy IIRC.

Can the same apply for those who continue to tell us Adama is crap?

Practically all of our attacking play goes through him. I couldn't care less if he spanners a few crosses in to the first defender or out of play (Moutinho is the best player I've ever seen in a Wolves shirt and he still hits the first defender on about 85% of his corners). Adama causes complete havoc and chaos in the opposition's defence and has been responsible for a large chunk of our positive play this season. I couldn't care less if he "was a bit shit last season".

Anyway, sorry. Yeah - going around and around in circles with debates on the same players is quite boring, I agree.

Almost as boring as relentless and unnecessary negativity on a match day thread. Yet when you're told it's boring you get on your high horse (with a cherry picker I presume).

How about sticking to players instead of having a go at posters all the time? Some of the mods on here have appalling behaviour of late.

You could argue injuries have somewhat forced Nunos hand but he's quickly realised the benefits

I would say that's exactly right and it turns out he's found a winning formation and personnel. Good for him, he deserves a bit of luck.

I would say that's exactly right and it turns out he's found a winning formation and personnel. Good for him, he deserves a bit of luck.

Yep!

Sometimes it takes something bad happening to find something good.

Back