• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2017 Transfer Thread

I just don't understand why we are in the position that we are, and everyone seems to think we have the players to manage for the rest of the season.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic, or just remembering what's happened in the last few years.

If you had asked me after the Sheff Wed game I would be demanding at least 6 players in January. I think what has swayed me over the last month is what Lambert is getting this group to do. It isn't perfect, far from it, but it certainly puts me more on the positive side. Of course, it could all go tits up and we do go down and the gamble of not investing January bites our arse but I am confident we won't get sucked back into the bottom 4.

Now my predictions are always wildly wrong, so chuck a few quid on us going down.

A double edged sword for him though.

He has nobody else to throw under the bus now if it goes tits up then (hopefully) Shi and Fosun will bin him off sharpish.

My ideal scenario is that Fosun have said to him "we've had our go, now it's yours, we'll be watching, away you go.

I hope you're right. But with people like Dim fighting his corner over not being at fault for the summer signing Teflon Kevin is going to take some removing.

Invariably you pay more in January, invariably you find it more difficult to sign who you want (because by definition you want decent players...and who wants to sell their decent players in the middle of a season). Given we are not likely to have anything to play for very soon it's chucking good money after bad if you went big again in this window, for no real return. You'd do it if we were sat six points outside the playoffs. We are 13 points off, it's not going to happen, 2PPG form from here wouldn't get us there.

I'd like us to sign a few obviously as we regularly field players who I don't think are anything like for purpose. But if we don't then we don't, it shouldn't make much difference either way as far as 2016/17 goes.

I agree about our best players being his clients.

Thelwell has been critical of other influences and the last parliament minutes are some of the worst from a so called director. My theory, FWIW, is that Thelwell has the power he wanted to create the playing side to his plan and has told Fosun that Mendes plan failed (which included Zenga). Which is why Thelwell deliberately has said that foreign players will not work at the club unless in the right percentage (a truly fucking bizarre comment). That leads me to theorise Mendes will find a new home for Costa next season and why Thelwell has started his Moxey-lite excuses already.

As I say just a theory but I would bet that Cav and Costa aren't here next season nor Saiss and Prince who Thelwell has conveniently pushed the blame of their signing onto another party. The bloke's an absolute joke and we will always be a lower half Championship side with him here.
I think there's a bit of anti-Thelwell bias in there TBH mate!

I don't rate the guy either but I don't believe he'd be as narrow minded as that when it's crystal clear that Costa and Cav are so far ahead of his supposed signings.

I think there's a bit of anti-Thelwell bias in there TBH mate!

I don't rate the guy either but I don't believe he'd be as narrow minded as that when it's crystal clear that Costa and Cav are so far ahead of his supposed signings.

There may be smidgen.....

And I'm not so sure on the narrow mindedness. We've gone from Costa and Cav to Marshall and Danny Ward. Now that's downgrading at its finest.

I agree with Johnny TBH.

Thelwell winds me up far more than he should. I get irrational anger when seeing his smug face sitting next to the latest average player he has decided to tie down to a stupidly long contract.

Invariably you pay more in January, invariably you find it more difficult to sign who you want (because by definition you want decent players...and who wants to sell their decent players in the middle of a season). Given we are not likely to have anything to play for very soon it's chucking good money after bad if you went big again in this window, for no real return. You'd do it if we were sat six points outside the playoffs. We are 13 points off, it's not going to happen, 2PPG form from here wouldn't get us there.

I'd like us to sign a few obviously as we regularly field players who I don't think are anything like for purpose. But if we don't then we don't, it shouldn't make much difference either way as far as 2016/17 goes.

I agree we are unlikely to get to the playoffs this season, that's not what I'm primarily concerned about now. At the start of the season it's what I was hoping we would be challenging for but we need to be concerned about the other end at the moment.

We may be 13 points off the playoffs, as you say, but we are only 5 points above the drop-zone, and that concerns me. It's easy to say 'Oh we're OK now, Lambert's sorting us out', and that may be right, but it's by no means a certainty. Let's not risk the drop and try to bolster the defence now.

Both KT and LD have absolutely blagged their way into roles that are a couple of steps above their capabilities, purely because they were the least inappropriate internal candidates. It's small time bullshit that they are running this football club.

Was it Thelwell who found Sako?

That'll be Willie McKay who also pushed Doumbia and Boukari to Steve Morgan. As far as I know this was a Morgan decision not a Moxey/ Thelwell decision.

Sako was hardly a secret, it was a real coup for us to sign him.

Was Thelwell responsible for losing Steven Fletcher's head?

Williamson seems to have done more "coaching" of Iorfa and Hause in 90 minutes than our supposed coaches have managed in about a season and a half
This they need real experience to learn from.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Back