• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2017 Transfer Thread

Looked like a pointless signing, turned out to be a pointless signing.

He was just a squad filler anyway, i guess some sort of "security" should Costa or Ivan fail to settle as he had that amazing must need requirement "Championship experience"....but Costa did settle and Ola got crocked so off he pops.

Ola John close to joining Depor (another Mendes club) on loan. Farewell Ola, it's been emotional.

Interesting. The club website currently lists "Toulouse" within his career history for 2016-17.

Interesting. The club website currently lists "Toulouse" within his career history for 2016-17.
As he's not playing here, I guess he has nothing Toulouse by moving elsewhere.

Pat Murphy talking wank again:

Pat Murphy ‏@patmurphybbc 2m2 minutes ago

No sign of any major signings coming in @ Wolves.Urgent need 2 trim the squad by 5 or 6. If needed they'll wait till summer 4 Ben Marshall

What "urgent need"? Are we struggling to pay the wage bill? We couldn't possibly take anyone else on board whatsoever?

We want to get rid of some utter shite, everyone knows that, we need to find a taker first.

So we've gone from signing a million players in one window (many of whom are not fit for purpose), to zero in the next?

Strategic, planned management from Fosun if ever I were to see it.

Don't get me wrong - I'm pleased they own the club. I think they'll come good - but it's been an absolute mess/car crash so far.

Depends if you want to believe Pat Murphy or not. My suggestion would be that you shouldn't.

So we've gone from signing a million players in one window (many of whom are not fit for purpose), to zero in the next?

Don't get me wrong - I'm pleased they own the club. I think they'll come good - but it's been an absolute mess/car crash so far.

3 weeks left yet,start the pant wetting at 23.50 hours on the 31st if we haven't signed anyone by then

To be honest as much as I would like us to sign a couple I won't be overly concerned if we don't sign anyone. I think we have enough to stay up even with the dodgy defending skillz and after the first part of the season, that is fine by me as long as it is coupled with some exciting games (currently getting them more than not) and the youth players who deserve to step up are given the chance (happening at the moment).

To be honest as much as I would like us to sign a couple I won't be overly concerned if we don't sign anyone. I think we have enough to stay up even with the dodgy defending skillz and after the first part of the season, that is fine by me as long as it is coupled with some exciting games (currently getting them more than not) and the youth players who deserve to step up are given the chance (happening at the moment).

Calm down, Mr Angry.

I don't think that's down to FOSUN though. More down to Kevin Thelwell and Laurie Dalrymple who they now have in charge of the club. Mendes is obviously not going to put players into the club again by the looks of things so it is down to the 2 clowns I have mentioned to do it.

Not looking great for them so far.

I don't think that's down to FOSUN though. More down to Kevin Thelwell and Laurie Dalrymple who they now have in charge of the club. Mendes is obviously not going to put players into the club again by the looks of things so it is down to the 2 clowns I have mentioned to do it.

Not looking great for them so far.
There's nothing to suggest we've severed ties with Mendes though. Cav and Costa are the 2 best signings and probably our 2 best players and both are his clients.

I'm sure the transfer policy will be much different from last summer in which we needed players in quickly but that certainly doesn't mean we shouldn't use Mendes' influence if we're being a rather more particular with player acquisitions. And I don't believe the club will say 'thanks but no thanks' to him either.

I hope you're right. I just don't understand why we are in the position that we are, and everyone seems to think we have the players to manage for the rest of the season.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic, or just remembering what's happened in the last few years.

There's nothing to suggest we've severed ties with Mendes though. Cav and Costa are the 2 best signings and probably our 2 best players and both are his clients.

I'm sure the transfer policy will be much different from last summer in which we needed players in quickly but that certainly doesn't mean we shouldn't use Mendes' influence if we're being a rather more particular with player acquisitions. And I don't believe the club will say 'thanks but no thanks' to him either.

I agree about our best players being his clients.

Thelwell has been critical of other influences and the last parliament minutes are some of the worst from a so called director. My theory, FWIW, is that Thelwell has the power he wanted to create the playing side to his plan and has told Fosun that Mendes plan failed (which included Zenga). Which is why Thelwell deliberately has said that foreign players will not work at the club unless in the right percentage (a truly fucking bizarre comment). That leads me to theorise Mendes will find a new home for Costa next season and why Thelwell has started his Moxey-lite excuses already.

As I say just a theory but I would bet that Cav and Costa aren't here next season nor Saiss and Prince who Thelwell has conveniently pushed the blame of their signing onto another party. The bloke's an absolute joke and we will always be a lower half Championship side with him here.

I agree about our best players being his clients.

Thelwell has been critical of other influences and the last parliament minutes are some of the worst from a so called director. My theory, FWIW, is that Thelwell has the power he wanted to create the playing side to his plan and has told Fosun that Mendes plan failed (which included Zenga). Which is why Thelwell deliberately has said that foreign players will not work at the club unless in the right percentage (a truly fucking bizarre comment). That leads me to theorise Mendes will find a new home for Costa next season and why Thelwell has started his Moxey-lite excuses already.

As I say just a theory but I would bet that Cav and Costa aren't here next season nor Saiss and Prince who Thelwell has conveniently pushed the blame of their signing onto another party. The bloke's an absolute joke and we will always be a lower half Championship side with him here.

A double edged sword for him though.

He has nobody else to throw under the bus now if it goes tits up then (hopefully) Shi and Fosun will bin him off sharpish.

My ideal scenario is that Fosun have said to him "we've had our go, now it's yours, we'll be watching, away you go.

I hope you're right. I just don't understand why we are in the position that we are, and everyone seems to think we have the players to manage for the rest of the season.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic, or just remembering what's happened in the last few years.

I don't think you're pessimistic. I think you're right.Afobe was a January signing that helped transform a season. Something similar could still happen. This league is bang average after Brighton and Newcastle and there are 21 games left. I a. Not saying we are play off bound far from it but win 10 or 15 of those games sends a real message and gives the whole squad a lift, not to mention cheers us armchair critics up no end. To do that I believe the defence is not good enough weityhout Williamson particularly the centre. We also lack a bit of midfield creativity and are busting for a goalscorer. I truly think that those three are the minimum for this window. Its an investment in the future.

If we have a decent second half of the season it will be easier to get new players in and easier to bin off others. We have seen the best and worst of this squad this season and we must stop looking through rose tinted glasses.We are 3 quality players from a challenging side.Minimum

Back