• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2017 Transfer Thread

He's not quite as bad as all that btw. I wouldn't want us to sign him but he's a far better player than a number of current and former players who have had significant game time in our back four in recent seasons. I'd strongly disagree with Deutsch when he says that EEL is a better centre half.

I think he *is* that bad :icon_lol:

He's worse than EEL on the ball (in fact, he's worse than most centre halves in Western Europe on the ball) and makes way more errors that lead directly to goals for a start. He's like a parody of a joke centre half, all the bad bits of all the terrible defenders you can think of all put together at the same time. Like a dogshit/catshit/cowshit trifle.

I think he *is* that bad :icon_lol:

He's worse than EEL on the ball (in fact, he's worse than most centre halves in Western Europe on the ball) and makes way more errors that lead directly to goals for a start. He's like a parody of a joke centre half, all the bad bits of all the terrible defenders you can think of all put together at the same time. Like a dogshit/catshit/cowshit trifle.

Clearly a fan of his Deutsch!!

He's made a lot of high profile errors (I'm guessing you mainly saw him play in high profile games) but I don't think he makes errors with any more frequency than EEL, Doherty, Batth, Stearman, Rowe, Gorkss, Johnson, Elokobi, Robinson etc do.

"Efe Ambrose is not an accident waiting to happen. He’s an accident that’s already happened."
“I will never set foot in Parkhead again as long as Ambrose is on the books.”
“Why do Celtic not just print Calamity on the back of Effe Ambroses shirt? If Rodgers, Kennedy, Lawwell and Desmond cannot see the lack of football ability that this man possesses then they should head for Specsavers.”

I think the Celtic fans are enamoured as well

Ambrose is like Zubar, IMO. Nine times out of ten he'll be the worst player on the pitch, but that one other time, he'll be totally unplayable (in a good way).

Milwall keen on Wallace, no brainer for me get what you can and get shot.

They rate Saville as well. I'd see if we can get them to take both

Milwall keen on Wallace, no brainer for me get what you can and get shot.

I know he's been pretty terrible but it still amazes me how quickly opinions of Wallace have soured.

Opinions on Wallace weren't based on anything he did in a Wolves team though, they were based on potential from what he'd done previously at Portsmouth and on loan at Milwall. His very best performances for Wolves couldn't be described as anything above OK. Just like Saville, EEL and Jacobs he's a League One player.

What's bonkers is if we signed Silvio in Jan we'd all think it would be a great signing!

Please let's not turn on Lambert just yet. He's working the players he's been given, particularly a terrible defence and a midfield that offers no creativity or quality on the ball. In the short term all he can try and do is keep things tight and hope we concede less goals than we score. Regrettably that may mean abject football and a Coady/Edwards pairing in midfield. As we all know the championship is relentless and almost all teams have the ability to beat anyone on their day. If you're struggling you can easily fall into a terrible run of form, as we all know well.

Remember that results are based on a combination of two factors; squad quality, and mental direction (management, tactics, psychology). The former we can't change until January, and even then, it takes several transfer windows to overhaul a squad without ruining the dressing room with too many new faces. We are still using players signed both in League One, and when we were on a reduced budget once Morgan lost interest. The latter is also hard to change with players that have become used to conceding and losing again and again over a long period.

What this football club needs a solid transfer strategy, financial backing, and patience from both management and fans. I think we have the first two, but lacking the patience to see it through over time. We desperately need players that are both high quality and ready for English football - Unfortunately, almost all the quality at our level has already been hoovered up, either by other ambitious Championship clubs or lower premier league teams. So - if we want to buy even slightly above-average players, we will have to pay hugely over the odds. That's why we're looking at overseas and lower league players, but they take time to bed in and get up to speed. I think Thelwell needs to realise this and accept that's the reality if we want to successful at this level - taking gambles only on lower league players and foreign imports will very rarely pay off if you want to achieve promotion to the premier league immediately. Especially not with our defence, certainly not in the short term. We need quality Championship-ready centre halves, midfield quality, and patience.

Look at how long it took us to turn Sako from a raw newbie into a premier league player. Cavaleiro could equally take 2 seasons just to get up to speed with the Championship and settled in Wolverhampton. Unless you can afford eyewateringly inflated fees like £10M for the likes of Ameobi/Johnson/Knockaert/Kightly/Hoilett/Forestieri (any why would they swap their current club for Wolves anyway?) that is the reality we are in. Our 2009 promotion season is a case in point; some lower league rising stars, good management and strategy, but we needed to poach Ebanks-Blake to score the goals. The equivalent of SEB today would cost way more than £1.5m!

I suppose what I'm trying to say is, it's going to take time. Probably more time than we expect. But we'll get there. It all depends on what Lambert and Thelwell can pull off in January - it needs to be a real statement of intent.

Well, yes, it is going to take time. But a solid transfer strategy? I have not the slightest idea what our transfer strategy has been of late...

I notice Shackell is sat on the bench at Derby at the moment. We could a lot worse than bringing him back for 18 months. He's on big wages there though.

Well, yes, it is going to take time. But a solid transfer strategy? I have not the slightest idea what our transfer strategy has been of late...

Indeed and with Thewell still here I don't expect it to improve much either.

Well if Thelwell messes this one up he will be gone surely. I would be more than happy with Shackell never really understood why he didn't get a sniff when he was with us before right age and good experience at this level. For me the biggest priority is LB even though Doc did a bit better yesterday and got a goal I would rather we have a solid LB who isn't as good going forward now we have 2 wingers in the team.

Our creativity should be coming from midfield not LB and 2 creative box to box type players are needed in this window if we are to persist with an anchor man we have Saiss, Price and Coady that can play there that's more than enough.

We are also being linked with Sam Gallagher who is on loan at Blackburn, not really seen him but it seems he is doing well there.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Back