• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2017 Transfer Thread

For Lescott, see Williamson. It's all very well getting an experienced head in at the back, but if he spends all his time on the injury table, that helps no one.

Plus I can't shake the memories of his performances at Villa. Absolutely shocking.

On the face of it that's a poor signing as he's clearly finished and was terrible for Villa but maybe with Hause & Iorfa next to him who have the pace to cover in behind he wouldn't look so exposed?

I would've loved to see Luisao here when he was linked in the summer and he's equally crocked.

That would be a terrible signing. Did the scouts not see him play for Villa?

A player can have a bad spell somewhere and turn it around, back in 2011 it was genuinely debatable who was the worst signing, Roger Johnson or Scott Dann, they both looked bloody awful at their new club. Villa is the only blot on Lescott's career (we'll ignore four games for AEK which Martin Danks will pretend he watched) and you would think he would have motivation to round off his career at a place where he was much loved previously. Plus I'll caveat some of the Villa performances by pointing out he was alongside Nathan Baker at times, that bloke could make Gerard Pique look like Neill Collins, he's got an all encompassing realm of doom about him.

But like I say, on balance I wouldn't go for it. This season is all but gone - depressing to write that in December, but that's where we are - and given a free run at a full summer's business we could surely do better, even if we are looking for fabled "experience".

A player can have a bad spell somewhere and turn it around, back in 2011 it was genuinely debatable who was the worst signing, Roger Johnson or Scott Dann, they both looked bloody awful at their new club. Villa is the only blot on Lescott's career (we'll ignore four games for AEK which Martin Danks will pretend he watched) and you would think he would have motivation to round off his career at a place where he was much loved previously. Plus I'll caveat some of the Villa performances by pointing out he was alongside Nathan Baker at times, that bloke could make Gerard Pique look like Neill Collins, he's got an all encompassing realm of doom about him.

But like I say, on balance I wouldn't go for it. This season is all but gone - depressing to write that in December, but that's where we are - and given a free run at a full summer's business we could surely do better, even if we are looking for fabled "experience".

I agree with players not fitting correctly and that is largely to do with the management but he hasn't helped himself in the twilight of his career and whilst excusing his performances it is hard to hide that his athleticism and in general his mind for football has gone.

It would be pure sentimentality to have him back and not really for the good of the club when there is much better out there and can be achieved with the resources we have (but I'm sure you're not disputing that).

I agree with players not fitting correctly and that is largely to do with the management but he hasn't helped himself in the twilight of his career and whilst excusing his performances it is hard to hide that his athleticism and in general his mind for football has gone.

It would be pure sentimentality to have him back and not really for the good of the club when there is much better out there and can be achieved with the resources we have (but I'm sure you're not disputing that).

So you're saying he's a Thelwell type target?

Jokes aside, can he even play for Wolves this season given he's played for AEK and turned out for Villa's reserves? There was a case a few years ago where a player was in this position and it was not permitted.

Ben Arfa I think. The U23 league counted as a competitive game in FIFA's book and he'd played one game for Newcastle in that competition and then went to Hull.

Lescott did play one game for Villa's U23s (against us, as it happens) so unless they've updated their rules - which would be common sense, but it is FIFA, after all - you'd guess he's in the same boat.

Lescott would be a 'heart over head' signing

A couple of years ago before the Villa period then yes, but not now.

Experience is one thing - experience without the ability to physically get on the pitch week in/week out is of no use.

Fuck it, we'me rich.

Just sign him up.

Any Champ experience? If not, we'll buy him and never play him.

He's bloody awful. I'd genuinely rather recall EEL (who I don't think has any real chance of ever being what we require in this league)

"The worst player ever to pull on a Celtic shirt"

Excellent news :(

That one was debunked by the club a few weeks ago I thought.

It was at least a week ago. Old news and thankfully fucking bollocks.

Thankfully that website is as reliable as a Daily Express weather article.

Back