• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Ipswich (H) 23/12 Build Up Thread

Didn't the injuries clear up when they discovered a long term irregularity with his back?

No I;m pretty sure Mark is right. Edwards had quite a long time out with a back injury at one point I thought?

How can you hate Mick? Granted I'm so young that he is the earliest manager that I can properly remember but it's hard to deny his achievements. Got a team composed of shite to the play-offs in his first season, built a promotion winning team on a small budget which played good exciting and attacking football. The football did turn dull in the second half of 2009/10 when he started to regularly use the five man midfield but he didn't have the budget or the players to be try and play expansive football successfully. Staying up was the aim and that's what we did, with relative ease by the end. Second season I thought we were trying to play some better stuff, we were scoring far more at the least, and had some great wins over City, Liverpool, Chelsea, United, and that 3-3 draw with Spurs was a cracker.

IMO it would have been unfair to sack him at the end of the second Prem season. It was our aim to stay up and we did again achieve that. O'Hara looked to be signing and there was a general perception we were about to take the best pickings of the relegated teams so would be signing some (seemingly) Premier League-quality players like O'Hara and Roger Johnson and looking to establish ourselves. I was very pro-Mick though and it wasn't until the defeat to Albion that I thought his time was up. In hindsight I would say he should have gone after the draw to Swansea where we played atrociously and that comeback probably saved his job, or the home defeat by Stoke in December. I wonder who we would/should have gotten in if we had sacked him that summer or prior to January? Prior to him being sacked I had never considered who could replace him.

Comparisons to Warnock are very unfair and I don't see how similarities can go beyond their style of play and both being successful Championship managers (but then I would still say Mick is better). Mick doesn't encourage pushing the rules or hurting the opposition, nor is he as snide and bitter as Warnock, I found Mick very enjoyable to listen to. He just gets the best out of poor players with the style that best suits them. With the exception of Nuno I'd take him back over any of his successors, or his predecessors this century.

How can you hate Mick? Granted I'm so young that he is the earliest manager that I can properly remember but it's hard to deny his achievements. Got a team composed of shite to the play-offs in his first season, built a promotion winning team on a small budget which played good exciting and attacking football. The football did turn dull in the second half of 2009/10 when he started to regularly use the five man midfield but he didn't have the budget or the players to be try and play expansive football successfully. Staying up was the aim and that's what we did, with relative ease by the end. Second season I thought we were trying to play some better stuff, we were scoring far more at the least, and had some great wins over City, Liverpool, Chelsea, United, and that 3-3 draw with Spurs was a cracker.

IMO it would have been unfair to sack him at the end of the second Prem season. It was our aim to stay up and we did again achieve that. O'Hara looked to be signing and there was a general perception we were about to take the best pickings of the relegated teams so would be signing some (seemingly) Premier League-quality players like O'Hara and Roger Johnson and looking to establish ourselves. I was very pro-Mick though and it wasn't until the defeat to Albion that I thought his time was up. In hindsight I would say he should have gone after the draw to Swansea where we played atrociously and that comeback probably saved his job, or the home defeat by Stoke in December. I wonder who we would/should have gotten in if we had sacked him that summer or prior to January? Prior to him being sacked I had never considered who could replace him.

Comparisons to Warnock are very unfair and I don't see how similarities can go beyond their style of play and both being successful Championship managers (but then I would still say Mick is better). Mick doesn't encourage pushing the rules or hurting the opposition, nor is he as snide and bitter as Warnock, I found Mick very enjoyable to listen to. He just gets the best out of poor players with the style that best suits them. With the exception of Nuno I'd take him back over any of his successors, or his predecessors this century.

As regards Manager's then McGarry (in his first stint) was better than Mick (even I am not old enough to really remember the Cullis era) - Turner also possibly given where we had got to at that point.

Though Nuno's win percentage far exceeds anyone else for now - long may it continue

In a less fond Mick memory, Stephen Hunt will be getting the Happy Shopper "This Is Your Life" treatment from Steve Daley at half time.

As regards Manager's then McGarry (in his first stint) was better than Mick (even I am not old enough to really remember the Cullis era) - Turner also possibly given where we had got to at that point.

Though Nuno's win percentage far exceeds anyone else for now - long may it continue

During my time McGarry was head and shoulders above any other manager we have had.

In a less fond Mick memory, Stephen Hunt will be getting the Happy Shopper "This Is Your Life" treatment from Steve Daley at half time.
Love them interviews. Asks and answers the questions for them.

Love them interviews. Asks and answers the questions for them.

I'm not sure what he expects them to say. They all just go "Aye yeah, it was great".

I'm not clapping him just like I didn't clap Edwards. It's a bloody liberty.

Don’t hate Mick, but couldn’t stand his press conferences.

Football wise, we had two seasons that were shit. One which was understandable and one that was unacceptable.

Anyone that thinks he should have been sacked after the Blackburn game is based on hindsight and not logic. After signing O’Hara in January our points tally to the end of the season, across a full season would have amassed 51 to 52 (Cheers DW), so there was no logic in getting rid of him after the Blackburn game.

Nuno has confirmed Douglas is fit again.

I will clap Mick though when he comes out. That is a bit different to Hunt

Mick was and is a good manager, up to a point. It's not his fault he was sacked around 6 months too late and to be honest his style of play and management gets the maximum out of his team but can't evolve.

We were almost the best side around at that time - just not quite (didn't need much to push us to the top though)

A quality goalkeeper and a good partner for big Frank and we might have won the league in 1972. Phil Parkes was a great shot stopper, but often let himself down at crosses. McAlle was a decent centre half, but his positioning and lack of pace often left us exposed and either Frank or Squeak would have to cover for him.

Back