• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Ipswich (H) 23/12 Build Up Thread

Everton away for me, there was a fair gap between QPR (17 Sep, and we were diabolical) and Swansea (22 Oct, and yes, we were garbo for 80 minutes). In between we played ok at Anfield and should have got a point at home to Newcastle.
Thanks, my poor memory there then, I thought they were back to back home games.

Bad decisions says Mick.

Oh look it was Mark Halsey...

Both of those decisions were scandalous. The justification for the JOH penalty is just nonsense and Hammill's cross was nowhere near out.

I despise Mark Halsey.

Remember that game. No way we deserved to lose. Played really well and the officials (not just Halsey) had a shocker

I loved mick - he was the perfect antidote to noddles bullshit with his open honesty. He turned a massively shite situation into promotion and made a fantastic championship winnning team.

His football in the prem was never going to turn into anything other than relegation scraps, but he’ll always have my respect and thanks for what he did for us. Top man.

Got to be honest i can't stand Mick. He did a fantastic job here in those first few years no doubting that but by the end i couldn't stand him and when i hear him now it's exactly like that. He says some entertaining things but most of the time it's just outdated, narrow minded stubborn bollocks. Here's hoping Nuno guides us to our first victory over him since he left.
Same here.

Loved Mick back then and still have a lot of love for him now, he is what he is and you either like it or lump it. Hoddle hadn't left much behind and on a shoestring he did a cracking job, he did get plenty wrong and his loyalty to certain players was vexing at times (playing Ward LW rather than Jarvis as an example)

In the whole I think he did a cracking job, he isn't a premier league manager but at least we gave him a fair crack at it so we can put it to bed.

The memes and videos of him still do the rounds my favourite is this one.....brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OQT1psCoAc

Really don’t understand the despising of Mick considering the mess he inherited when he got here and where we were three seasons later.
The thing that probably didn’t help him was going to war with the fans after the 2-2 with Swansea plus the 5-1 debacle against Albion.

Loved Mick before he was at Wolves, loved him while he was here & love him now. Top bloke. I think DW has put a reasoned & accurate debate forward as to why Wolves fans should look back on his time in charge here with fondness.

Obviously no one can force someone to like someone else as a person, but I don't get the critisism of him as a bloke at all. He was honest, told it as it is, has a dry sense of humour but was always likable in my eyes. Lack of proper characters in game these days (being an arsehole does not equate to being a 'character') so on that front I really don't understand some of the postings above me in this thread.

Mick should always get a warm welcome back at Molineux IMO.

Definitely getting excited for this game now. Been too long. Should be in the Western nice and early (I hope) and then will join up with chaps wherever you are going. Plus defo will be in Bohemian for a couple after the match.

Loved Mick before he was at Wolves, loved him while he was here & love him now. Top bloke. I think DW has put a reasoned & accurate debate forward as to why Wolves fans should look back on his time in charge here with fondness.

Obviously no one can force someone to like someone else as a person, but I don't get the critisism of him as a bloke at all. He was honest, told it as it is, has a dry sense of humour but was always likable in my eyes. Lack of proper characters in game these days (being an arsehole does not equate to being a 'character') so on that front I really don't understand some of the postings above me in this thread.

Mick should always get a warm welcome back at Molineux IMO.

Agree with every word of this.

Definitely getting excited for this game now. Been too long. Should be in the Western nice and early (I hope) and then will join up with chaps wherever you are going. Plus defo will be in Bohemian for a couple after the match.

We'll be in the Western mate. You might get to meet my new better half! (She's far more excited about the Bathams and cobs than the football!)

Yeah, I'm really pleased that my first game for ages coincides with Mick coming back, and he'll certainly get a standing ovation from me. A really nice bloke, and a phenomenal man manager. More successful than any manager in my lifetime on an absolute shoestring, comparatively. Some of the football he got us playing was awesome, and the RoJo/JOH fuck ups were really unlucky, because every single one of us would have signed that pair of cockpockets.

Yes he should have gone earlier, but ultimately we had a bottom 3 wage spend for three successive PL years - despite Jez publicly saying that wage bill and league position tend to correlate. He had us punching above our weight.

I can see why Mick would grate on some folks and his press interviews can be seen as antagonistic I guess. I personally think he is a top human being first and foremost, has time for you if you have time for him and will be honest and straight forward when you want that from a person.

The work he does with every team is always top at this level but like everybody they have their limits and the PL is Mick's (and Warnock's too). He will always be welcome back to Molineux in my eyes.

If I compare Mick to some of the other manager's around at the time of our success then he is streets ahead as a person. Look at Hoddle, the man's a total fucking arsehole.

I personally think he is a top human being first and foremost,

This above anything else.

Our old match day pal Alan (Rom for those who used the old Mol Mix) had been disgnosed with terminal cancer and Mick became aware of it during a golfing day and sent him a signed shirt for a cancer charity raffle. Alan wrote to him to thank him and Mick then called him and had a very long conversation with him. Put a smile on his face for a while did that. Above and beyond and the sign of a great man.

I always thought Mick was bloody ace for us. Perfect man to pick things up after the Hoddle shit storm, and his achievements rank up there with anyone in my time supporting the club. I was saddened when it came to the inevitable end, but I remember his times here with a lot of fondness.

Can someone dig up that presser he did when I think (Henry?) got sent off against Arsenal (?) and Mick came out in his press conference and presented video evidence of why the referee was a crock of shit :icon_lol:

My memory is very hazy but I loved him for that. Proper sticking a middle finger up at the Premier League and the officials.

Back