• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Ipswich (H) 23/12 Build Up Thread

No substitutes too?

One sub maybe?

He wouldn't be the only one in that boat, as much as I think he's a fucking knob, Steve Bruce never got an England cap and he was obviously a good defender (amazingly he managed to have a little dig about it in one of his amazing novels)

Wasn't his USA stuff when we sent teams to play as LA Wolves and Kansas City outside our season or am I missing something else?

That is correct. Regarding his international career, he had played for the England under 23 team, and should have been given a full England cap, but England were still revelling in the glory of winning the World Cup and that squad was kept together longer than it should have been. Before his retirement, there was plenty of talk about knowles getting into the full England squad.

Bell was a bit after Knowles finished, maybe would have been up against Alan Ball?

My Mancunian friends tell me that Bell was the Paul Scholes of his day. Was playing for England around 68/69 I think?

Couple of questions, why did he go to America on loan and why hadn’t got an English cap if he was that good?
Tipped to be in the 1970 WC squad. He had just turned 25 when he retired. America on loan? He played when WWFC guested as LA Wolves and Kansas City Spurs.

That is correct. Regarding his international career, he had played for the England under 23 team, and should have been given a full England cap, but England were still revelling in the glory of winning the World Cup and that squad was kept together longer than it should have been. Before his retirement, there was plenty of talk about knowles getting into the full England squad.

So the summer thing was more pre-season stuff and the lack of Caps was the 66 World Cup. Thanks.

Colin Bell was about his era I think? Great player. You couldn't pick both.

Bell was a bit after Knowles finished, maybe would have been up against Alan Ball?

In my opinion it was not who was in the team that held Knowles back. Sir Alf Ramsey was a very cautious man and would have been wary of having someone of Knowles temperament in his team. And it is worth bearing in mind that Stan Bowles only played a handful of games for England, and he was another superbly talented player.

Isn’t it great that we are talking about these teams and players because the team we have now.

All I know from friends I know that were city fans up there (one of whom was Paul Power as a family friend) was that Colin Bell was frankly staggeringly good

(Although my dad always said that Tony Book was City's finest - probably something to do with him having played for Bath City!!)

Isn’t it great that we are talking about these teams and players because the team we have now.

If I ever see better players in a Wolves shirt than Willy Boly, Ruben Neves and Diogo Jota then I'll die a happy man.

My Mancunian friends tell me that Bell was the Paul Scholes of his day. Was playing for England around 68/69 I think?

1968 I think when Colin Bell earned his first cap. He was a fantastic player, without the natural flair of Knowles, but I think Paddy aligning him with Scholes is a good call.

Hold up, why is everyone attributing my (second hand) statements to someone else :icon_lol:

I said that my mates from up that there Manchester said he was like Scholes.

If I ever see better players in a Wolves shirt than Willy Boly, Ruben Neves and Diogo Jota then I'll die a happy man.

Bar God, they are already better than most Wolves fans my age will have ever seen, let alone yours, you whippersnapper.

Different players in a different era, but Munro, Knowles, Hibbitt, Richards and Wagstaffe were great players who I think you would have enjoyed watching.

Hold up, why is everyone attributing my (second hand) statements to someone else :icon_lol:

I said that my mates from up that there Manchester said he was like Scholes.

I was just checking whether the quoting had fucked up on Tapatalk :icon_lol:

Bar God, they are already better than most Wolves fans my age will have ever seen, let alone yours, you whippersnapper.

Bull
Keane
Lescott
Murray

They're the only four I've seen that even begin to fall into the same bracket. Whippersnapper :icon_lol: I'm 37 in 3-4 months!

Bell went to Mexico and came on as replacement for Bobby Charlton in our infamous QF defeat by West Germany. The England midfield was Ball, Mullery, Charlton and Peters.

Back