• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

Kmac has pulled out of the Scotland squad due to injury

He has a lower back injury and will remain at Compton for treatment according to Wolves twitter.

Nothing to worry about, KJ has mentioned this in the past. Probably just using the international break as a breather after so many games over the past few weeks.

Meh, managers fall on stuff all the time. There's no chance that Dave Jones would ever have paired Miller and Ndah by choice. So long as he doesn't mess around with it, I don't care too much how he arrived at the right result, just so long as he did.

But he's had that partnership running the show for the best part of the last two seasons! Why does it take a Coady suspension and an Edwards injury to bring it back?!

It's really an issue with Price, given that McDonald is nailed on virtually all the time. For whatever reason, all of Davis, Evans, Rowe, Edwards, Saville and Coady have either been selected ahead of Jacko (generally at the start of a season) or signed with a view on upgrading on him, and we end up defaulting back when it doesn't work out brilliantly - although that said, Evans was our best player for the first three months of last season. I think we all know that he is extremely limited going forward so if you like it's an obvious "upgrade" if you can bring in someone who can do the defensive bits and offer you more in an attacking sense into the bargain. I would guess that is his theory and why he has tried numerous alternatives.

There is no excuse for him ever preferring Edwards there, that is mental. Given that he has never been able to play there, going back years before Ken even arrived at the club.

What do you think are the chances that he'll throw Edwards back in there should a result not go our way in the next few games?

That's my big concern.

I think Price is a great player, but when he plays in a midfield two with McD we really do lack someone to get forward with a bit of energy. I can completely see why he thought Coady would be a good option.

I'd like to see a midfield 3 of Price, Coady & McD behind Afobe at some point.

Meh, managers fall on stuff all the time. There's no chance that Dave Jones would ever have paired Miller and Ndah by choice. So long as he doesn't mess around with it, I don't care too much how he arrived at the right result, just so long as he did.

You know that he WILL mess around with it though!

I would play Edwards instead of ALF against Derby. They play 433 and I don't think McDonald has the mobility to play behind the forward and it doesn't sound like Wallace has been very impressive so far. Be delighted with a point so I'd set up that way. I also want to see Afobe further forward

I don't think we've got anything to fear from Derby. Our back four is far superior to theirs, stick with the two up top and go at them where they're weak. I'd maybe go with Byrne instead of Ojo.

I would play Edwards instead of ALF against Derby. They play 433 and I don't think McDonald has the mobility to play behind the forward and it doesn't sound like Wallace has been very impressive so far. Be delighted with a point so I'd set up that way. I also want to see Afobe further forward

I would ask myself who is more likely to create or score a goal, Edwards or Alfie. It wouldn't be a long internal debate.

If we must go more conservative then Coady should play.

I wouldn't disagree and our views in general are aligned over Edwards, but I think they'll overrun us in midfield. My question is who is going to track back and close them down and potentially get the ball back Afobe (as he'll be the deeper forward playing with ALF) or Edwards?

The problem is - and last season we brought Edwards on at Norwich for that job, and started him at Boro- that all he ends up doing is chasing their defensive midfielder(s) around. It doesn't really stop the opposition playing, it's minimal nuisance value and that's it.

If we are looking to match Derby in midfield it should definitely be Coady rather than Edwards

If we are to play 3 in midfield then Coady/McDonald/Price is the way to go - would just need to ensure that one of them knows that they need to give Benik (assume that ALF would be the one to lose out) a decent level of support further forward.

Now that McDonald has had his life here settled & worked that he can shoot well enough to help then he is the most likely.

I can see why KJ was not picking McDonald earlier in the season, he was playing shit and being an absolute arse and deserved not to play, since his contract has been sorted out he's a different player, even better than his previous best (his attitude still pisses me off though) As for Price, I have to agree with everyone else, he is far and away our best defensive/holding midfielder, after a dodgy start at the beginning of last season he improved weekly and I'm not sure why KJ can't see that. I've no issue with Coady being bought in, Price is bound to get injured/banned at some stage of the season and we are a bit light in CM imo, after Kmac, Price and Coady we are down to using Edwards which we know is not ideal.

It shouldn't be difficult really. Either we figure that we've just won 3-0 twice in a row - could easily have been more on both occasions, and both teams we faced were in reasonable form at the time - and leave it the same, or we think we need to go a bit more defensive so we pick a midfielder who can tackle, press and have a bit of positional discipline. Edwards never enters into that equation either way.

I don't think he'll change anything unless he has to. To be fair it's only really this season he's been lamping Edwards in regardless, almost always out of position (we know he can only play one), previously he put him in to the detriment of better footballers (Henry/Jacobs) but he was at least mostly where he should be, if he really does have to play. I'm hoping Ken's had his odd phase for the year now, bollocks formations and all. I'll have to ask him one day why he thought playing with no width, Afobe more or less on the halfway line, Doherty instead of Iorfa and Edwards on the left wing was a good idea.

Back