• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

By the same token you said that managers know best citing Mick McCarthy a manager who selected and didn't replace him when in the Premier league. You then state Edwards is not Premier league quality.

I loved Mick, but he wasn't capable of taking the team on, and showed too much loyalty to certain players. IIRC, and I am pretty sure I do, Mick managed us in the Championship too.

Managers certainly on the whole know better than you, or me.

Edwards is still here 4 managers on from Mick. Kenny has chosen to reward him, why?

Genuine question NWW not a wind up. Did you honestly think that knowing Wolves in the knowledge they were going to lose their best player decide the answer to this conundrum was to change system to a weird Rhombus/ diamond system and pop Dave Edwards at the head/ slightly left?

Not at all Have I said this?

I do think Kenny considered us too easy to play against, and not fluid enough. We've tried something else, something different. What is wrong with that?

I also think Ojo is a Sako replacement, and that Wallace can too play there.

Maybe he's in Calais handing out a few work permits.

You never know, I've known a few very decent players from Senagal, Mali and Nigeria. The one and only Samuel Etoo, was on a small raft that sank in the Med. He witnessed several people drowning. He was a great player, who spent lots of his riches on building new schools and hospitals, in the country of his birth. A great player and a very decent chap.

Not at all Have I said this?

I do think Kenny considered us too easy to play against, and not fluid enough. We've tried something else, something different. What is wrong with that?

I also think Ojo is a Sako replacement, and that Wallace can too play there.

NWW don't be so defensive, I was asking a question, not a loaded question just a question, no need to get so bent out of shape. I think Ojo is also the answer out wide (and maybe Graham too when he finds his feet). I did think that about Wallace too but without a pre-season of note it might be a while till we see him in competitive action and then I think it may be on the right.

NWW don't be so defensive, I was asking a question, not a loaded question just a question, no need to get so bent out of shape. I think Ojo is also the answer out wide (and maybe Graham too when he finds his feet). I did think that about Wallace too but without a pre-season of note it might be a while till we see him in competitive action and then I think it may be on the right.

I'm perfectly calm Johnny. You can't tell how someone is from a post! Speak for yourself.

Eidwards does a job very few others do, and he scores the odd few from a very sterile midfield too. As I have repeatedly said, he's not technically the best, but then Gary Neville wasn't either, and he did ok.

You never know, I've known a few very decent players from Senagal, Mali and Nigeria. The one and only Samuel Etoo, was on a small raft that sank in the Med. He witnessed several people drowning. He was a great player, who spent lots of his riches on building new schools and hospitals, in the country of his birth. A great player and a very decent chap.

Isn't it strange how people are viewed differently if they have a little talent in their feet.

I think Edwards may have benefitted from being possibly the oldest/most experienced player we have on the books now Ricketts has departed.

One thing that stood out to me last year, was that he was very very supportive of youth team players coming through. I recall commenting on Iorfa's debut, where at the HT whistle edwards (and others) were straight over to Iorfa, encouraging him, supporting him.

A squad needs balance. We all value the young hungry thing, but we need that little bit of experience and man management too.

Edwards reminds me of Lee Naylor in so much that both are capable at this level, however will never pull up any trees and a section of fans will never, ever, ever give them a break, Both made in excess of 200 appearances for multiple managers with different philosophies but it counts for nowt.

Dave is limited but he works hard and deserves his role in the side, which I expect to reduce as the season goes on subject to fitness/suspensions and the emergence of Ojo and Graham.

I'd say if there is a similarity between Edwards and Naylor, it's that both have the amazing ability to put in weeks, even months of middling to poor performances and then a run of 2-3 good games (or in Edwards' case, just a goal will do) will erase the memory of many fans and suddenly they become unfairly maligned and underrated. Until the cycle begins again. Edwards has even managed to hoodwink people into thinking he's a real serious goal threat when actually his output is pretty poor for a midfielder who often purely functions as an attacking force and isn't given any defensive responsibilities in our own half whatsoever.

Don't get me wrong, I have seen plenty of worse players than Edwards (and Naylor, for that matter), you could certainly never criticise the attitude of either, however we should not now be in a position where Edwards will be beginning his ninth full season with us this time next year when he's never really suggested that he's capable of being an especially reliable or effective performer for a top six Championship team, let alone if we happen to be a division higher next August.

Based on?
lots of experience in different leagues and playing in different positions. He is also a motivator and sets a good example with his work ethic and not moaning. He must get s on well with people too.

I can understand the other side of the coin, that he isn't the most technical player, but some of the best footballers haven't made great coaches or managers and some of the not so good footballers have made great coaches.

I think someone who has played in lots of different positions at the highest level and down in the first division, could make him a decent coach.

No matter how you slice it KJ spends exponentially more time with the players than any of us. If Edwards was actually costing us points I would understand some of the negativity about him, but he doesn't, in fact he often is the key that wins points for us. Until he becomes an active detriment to the team I don't see this as a bad move at all.

No matter how you slice it KJ spends exponentially more time with the players than any of us. If Edwards was actually costing us points I would understand some of the negativity about him, but he doesn't, in fact he often is the key that wins points for us. Until he becomes an active detriment to the team I don't see this as a bad move at all.

He was a major factor in us scoring nowhere near enough goals before Afobe arrived last season, as when played as a number 10 he provided absolutely nothing by way of creativity. Hence plenty of us wanting Jacobs to be given a run in that position as Edwards was not contributing anything like enough, he was an active detriment to us as an attacking force.

If he plays on the left on Sunday then he'll be a detriment to us then as well as you can forget about us delivering the ball with any quality from that side of the pitch, especially as Golbourne appeared to retire from crossing the ball around a year ago.

I would also dispute that he is "often the key that wins points for us" as well. Occasionally perhaps, certainly not often.

lots of experience in different leagues and playing in different positions. He is also a motivator and sets a good example with his work ethic and not moaning. He must get s on well with people too.

I can understand the other side of the coin, that he isn't the most technical player, but some of the best footballers haven't made great coaches or managers and some of the not so good footballers have made great coaches.

I think someone who has played in lots of different positions at the highest level and down in the first division, could make him a decent coach.

You are making the mistake of thinking a player makes a good coach. The important bit is being a good coach has no semblance on if you have played the game or to what level you have played the game. This is the bit most casual fans with no experience of coaching do not understand (and that's not a personal dig at you).

I have absolutely no idea of where Dave Edwards is in his coach education and he may well be a good coach and be already through his level 3 license and be working to his A license but then neither do you by the looks of things.

He was a major factor in us scoring nowhere near enough goals before Afobe arrived last season, as when played as a number 10 he provided absolutely nothing by way of creativity. Hence plenty of us wanting Jacobs to be given a run in that position as Edwards was not contributing anything like enough, he was an active detriment to us as an attacking force.

If he plays on the left on Sunday then he'll be a detriment to us then as well as you can forget about us delivering the ball with any quality from that side of the pitch, especially as Golbourne appeared to retire from crossing the ball around a year ago.

I would also dispute that he is "often the key that wins points for us" as well. Occasionally perhaps, certainly not often.

I don't think our results last season particularly jive with that opinion, but equally I'm not trying to uproot that tree.

Just in terms of raw data we scored 29 goals in 25 league games before Afobe arrived (Edwards started 20 of those games, all bar about three in that number 10 role), then we scored 41 goals in the remaining 21 games when we predominantly played 4-4-2 and Edwards was largely on the bench or played as a conventional central midfielder.

Clearly the discrepancy in scoring rate is not all down to him but I guarantee you it was a major factor.

If only we could get our hands on a young, exciting, attacking, right footed, goal scoring, central midfield player to upgrade on Edwards...

If Wallace can stay fit and is up to scratch then Edwards will see much more of the bench than last season, the same way he would've if Jacobs/Clarke/Sagbo/Saville/Rowe were any good at all in his various positions. If not then Edwards can step up and do a decent job while we work on another alternative.

This is a lot of fuss about nothing IMO. Edwards is a valuable member of the squad, he wont be on a massive amount and we can give him peace of mind by extending his contract by another year. No brainer for me.

I don't think him signing a new deal is a bad thing. He is a useful squad member whether that be starting, playing in games where we have our backs to the wall, or coming on as a sub to either score or run around. Having him in the 25 literally isn't a problem.

However on his uses, people say he wins us points, no question he does. People also say he is shit and doesn't contribute enough to the goals and assists column, that is also true. Where the answer lies is, would we play better without him in the team? As in if he didn't play would someone score his goals and/or provide chances for someone else.

It's a bit like the Hunt scenario. "hunt paid for his fee scoring that goal". Whereas I'd argue, he was so fucking shit if he hadn't have played and we'd spent the 3m on someone else we wouldn't have been in that position!

Back