• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

The ground does look a bit awkward at the moment with the current layout. One thing I've never liked about molineux is the distance between the SB and the pitch.

If we moved from Molineux would it piss off the average supporter irreparably? Seems to me that as long as the stadium is in Wolverhampton and is known as our home, it doesn't matter if it's Molineux or Fosun Park.
Moving the stadium or even renaming it would piss a lot of fans off, myself included. We'd soon get over it though if we were doing well.

If we moved from Molineux would it piss off the average supporter irreparably? Seems to me that as long as the stadium is in Wolverhampton and is known as our home, it doesn't matter if it's Molineux or Fosun Park.
Red rag to a bull that bit matey:)

Moving the stadium or even renaming it would piss a lot of fans off, myself included. We'd soon get over it though if we were doing well.

Only place they could have relocated to would have been somewhere near Junction 2 of the M54.

I wouldn't get over moving it, where would you go for a start? The i54?

It's an integral part of our club that we have a city centre ground.

Only 2 viable options close to the city have gone. Old Goodyear plant and where i54 is. (Might be some more but non that stand out for me)

Having a stadium close to City Centre is great, even if just for the social espect of a match day, and we have room to expand stands, so no need to move Stadium at all.

What's so bad about Steve Bull other than direct sunlight/rain coming in/further from pitch/poor turnstiles and no room to breath in the inside part? Or is it just those things ha. Feel like people are getting at more?

What's so bad about Steve Bull other than direct sunlight/rain coming in/further from pitch/poor turnstiles and no room to breath in the inside part? Or is it just those things ha. Feel like people are getting at more?

Like any project built in that era, it wasn't necessarily built to last forever and it'll fall to bits reasonably soon.

I agree the only downside to our location is getting in and by car. But apart from that has an easy walk to the train station, easy access with bus routes and plenty of city centre boozers with a max 10 minute walk from the ground.

You mean the name? I don't really care. Everyone will always call it Molineux. Naming rights are looked upon with suspicion by big firms now for that very reason. You don't get the exposure you're paying for.

We don't have anywhere to move within the city itself. We'd have to move out of town. Which would be shit.

Red rag to a bull that bit matey:)

Name I have less fuss about - still be Molineux whatever

Moving it elsewhere is another issue altogether - particularly, as many are when rebuilt, in areas well away from post game entertainment/accommodation places - sod having to get special buses pre & post match to get to the stadium or back to somewhere useful after

I suppose you could move the footprint like Spurs have, if you bought all the land at the back of the South Bank/Steve Bull and massively expand that way (clearly you're restricted on the Waterloo Road side at the moment - those of us old enough will remember the old stand being literally on the pavement - and I'm sure Asda don't want their car park taken over regarding the North Bank). Would cost a lot though.

And fuck knows where we'd play while it was all being done. Probably have to rent the Ricoh Arena off Wasps for a year.

I wouldn't get over moving it, where would you go for a start? The i54?

It's an integral part of our club that we have a city centre ground.

Don't get me wrong, I'd hate us to move the ground somewhere else. It should be in the city centre. I'd be pissed off if they ever renamed it too. I'm just saying that give it 10 years and a bit of success and plenty of fans would have gotten over it. Football fans are a fickle bunch.

Only 2 viable options close to the city have gone. Old Goodyear plant and where i54 is. (Might be some more but non that stand out for me)

Having a stadium close to City Centre is great, even if just for the social espect of a match day, and we have room to expand stands, so no need to move Stadium at all.

There's loads of room to expand. Remove the car park behind the South Bank and build back onto the hill, and theres a fairly wide bit of pavement in front of the Steve Bull that could be built on. Same with the Billy Wright side. The pitch is dug out below street level anyway, so you wouldn't need to build up that much anyway.

I love where Molineux is, love it. I love the fact that we can leave the pub at 2:45, have a nice little stroll past the University along Wulfruna st, and get all excited as we get to the subway and you see the roof of the Mol looming up and be in my seat for 2:55.

Don't get me wrong, I'd hate us to move the ground somewhere else. It should be in the city centre. I'd be pissed off if they ever renamed it too. I'm just saying that give it 10 years and a bit of success and plenty of fans would have gotten over it. Football fans are a fickle bunch.

I dunno. Matchday is as much about the experience as the football itself for a lot of people (in fact that's all it has been at various points). Take that away and it the feeling won't disappear just because we're winning. Move to one of the very few viable out-of-town sites and you'd immediately condemn yourself to a Reading-style existence.

As I've had a 4hr journey to even get to the town (& I know I'm not alone) the last thing I want is another trek to get to the ground

As DDW says - the match day experience is seriously enhanced by it's location in proximity to the town centre

I sit in the north bank lower. If it rains I get wet. Against Rovers I was 4 rows from the back and was still getting wet.

Apparently the roof isn't fully finished as without the SB it doesn't have the support to cantilever it. Building that stand would enclose it, meaning you are protected and the roof could be done properly.

Congratulations to Ivan Cavaleiro on the birth of his son Jaden Lucas.

The perfect solution is to buy the entire Asda site and then build two thirds of the stadium there and extending into the North Bank car park, with then one season to demolish the old place and build a new South Bank on the North Bank area of the current ground. It would be ASTRONOMICALLY expensive though as Asda make a fucking fortune from that site.

Back