• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

think he is good enough at this level but a four year contract has surprised me somewhat anyway..maybe to get some money when we sell him?

think he is good enough at this level but a four year contract has surprised me somewhat anyway..maybe to get some money when we sell him?

I think contract lengths are pretty much irrelevant nowadays, just the club rewarding him for been part of a first team where his peers are probably earning substantially more than him.

Not only can he not defend, as he says, but on Saturday his distribution and crossing was awful and his shooting seemed circumspect.
The sooner we get someone else, the better. What happened to 'German Phil'?

Not only can he not defend, as he says, but on Saturday his distribution and crossing was awful and his shooting seemed circumspect.
The sooner we get someone else, the better. What happened to 'German Phil'?
German Phil equals Mike Williamson

He was a bargain, then. Who decided to buy him?
No idea but at least he has age on his side(which mike didnt have) so hopefully he will come good..looks like he has ridiculous pace..or are wolves giving up on him now and that is the reason with new contract for doc..who knows?

Silvio would be a fairer comparison. Full/wing back, chequered recent injury history, injured pre season and not seen before October

Reading that interview shows how inept the two bellends in the photograph are. Absolutely stealing a living.

Pretty much my stance on him. I've always said he's not as bad as is made out to be. Could certainly do with an upgrade (no idea if German Phil is up to the task) but the way he's played this season I'm not too distraught at him being a squad member.

Whatever you think of him as a footballer (he is still shit, btw - just we now play him in a role where he has to do no defending, which is just as well) there was absolutely no need to do this. Same with EEL last season. In neither case was the existing contract even close to running out and nor had either done anything to earn an improved deal.

Whatever you think of him as a footballer (he is still shit, btw - just we now play him in a role where he has to do no defending, which is just as well) there was absolutely no need to do this. Same with EEL last season. In neither case was the existing contract even close to running out and nor had either done anything to earn an improved deal.

Penk has a point though - contract lengths don't really mean much. The way that Nuno quickly binned off the likes of Saville and Edwards etc also tell me he won't keep players who he doesn't think will fit in. Doherty is no world beater but he suits the way we play better than I thought he would and more than the likes of the above players who were quickly moved on.

Like I said earlier, I don't mind him being a squad player TBH.

They do mean something if you can't get rid of someone. I know we've got mad papes these days but how much is Prince costing us a month to do literally nothing? Burton won't be paying all Mason's wages either. We can't sell EEL because he's on Championship money despite being nothing like a Championship player.

Doherty is in the team by default at the moment more than anything else.

Interesting stat on the Sky game.

We've spent just 29 minutes of this season in a losing position, second behind Leeds (17)

Never really heard Doherty talk much, weirdly. He comes across well in the interview.

If he's bagged himself an improved wage and a couple of extra years on to his current deal because of his improvement this season - fair play to him. I can't see him being here in 4 years, if I'm honest.

He hasn't really improved though. He's been liberated from any and all defensive work. Everything is the same, he can't really cross the ball with any reliability, he couldn't do that as a full back and he can't do it as a wing back. He's lost weight but that simply means he is now bordering on an acceptable weight for a professional footballer instead of being heavier than me.

As penk says the new deal is for parity with the rest of the squad. He's in the team on merit and he's been pretty good this year (I wasn't at Barnsley).

Don't see too much issue with it tbh. He's not going to be on stupid money where we wouldn't be able to sell him on stupid money if/when required.

We wouldn't be able to sell him because not that many teams play wingbacks, those that do would want better and he is an utterly risible defender. Doesn't matter what money he's on, if you play a back four then you wouldn't want Matt Doherty on a free.

Back