• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

Good write up that. The only point I'd pull him up on is him saying our defensive record will improve as the team plays together more. We've kept 7 clean sheets out of 11 games, and the first three league games were all with with clean sheets!!

Coady has signed a new deal. Really pleased for him, shows what a quality coach can do with certain players written off by many.

Good news and I totally agree with you GFFH. He was one of those I was hoping would leave during the summer but I'm really pleased to have been proved wrong.

Well deserved.

Coady has signed a new deal. Really pleased for him, shows what a quality coach can do with certain players written off by many.

Well deserved. I was sick of the likes of Coady, Batth, Edwards, Doherty but with he exception of Edwards who has been sold those three look different players! Credit to them and of course, credit to the coaching team. They look fitter, sharper, more intelligent.

Yeah, fair play to Coady. Totally different player this season and a proper leader on the pitch.

If he turns shit we can give Sheff Utd a bell.

Football is great. If this deal was done in May or June the reaction would have been somewhat different and a tad angry.

If he turns shit we can give Sheff Utd a bell.

Football is great. If this deal was done in May or June the reaction would have been somewhat different and a tad angry.

Johnnys Thelwell rant would be forum gold ;-)

Good write up that. The only point I'd pull him up on is him saying our defensive record will improve as the team plays together more. We've kept 7 clean sheets out of 11 games, and the first three league games were all with with clean sheets!!
First two. We conceded 2 at Hull. First 3 games (Boro, Derby & Yeovil) we kept clean sheets.

Rob Edwards appears to have found Mark McGhee's 1996 Big Book of Tactics in a dark corner of Molineux before he left and is putting it to use. Their home form is shocking.

Edwards seems to have picked up some decent tactical ideas but you have to play with what you've got. That "inverted full backs" thing he was trying with us last season was never ever going to work using Doherty and CBJ, especially not given who was deployed alongside and in front of them, dropping Teixeira into central midfield vs Derby (when there was a clear opportunity to try him at #10) was suicidal and finished off his Wolves career - and it wouldn't surprise me if he's asking very limited footballers at Telford to do things that they simply can't.

That is one of the things about Nuno that has really impressed me. The style of play is simple, the players well drilled and the players are in positions by and large that suit their ability.Simple game really

That is one of the things about Nuno that has really impressed me. The style of play is simple, the players well drilled and the players are in positions by and large that suit their ability.Simple game really

Calm yourself Deano. Football might not be rocket science but it isn't simple.

I don't see how anyone can watch Wolves games atm thinking we're paying a simple, straightforward system. The level of thought that goes into our shape and how we press the ball in different situations is seriously impressive.

Although you could describe the basic formation as fairly simple in the way we set up, the way we put it to use is far from so. You'd think the key for the opposition would be to cut out the wing backs, but how we mix up the way we move the ball around either with quick, short passes or long diagonal balls makes it really difficult for them to do that. If today reflects other home games they'll be countless times when Doherty will be stood in acres of space waiting for the ball. If anything we don't use that right hand overload enough. Out of possession we close space without pressing almost in a zonal way, again difficult to coach I'd imagine.

What we are is extremely well drilled, this year in the future will be held up as the blueprint of how do run a pre season. Management team in early, the majority of players the same, formation identified early, played in all friendlies neglecting short term scorelines. The smartest thing of all though was the identifying of players within the squad who could play that formation and making sure they adapt to it (Coady, Batth, Doherty) and those who couldn't such as Edwards and Dicko and getting rid rather than having a piece of the formation compromised by a player who couldn't play the role the way we needed them to. It wouldn't surprise me to see Marshall leave in January for the same reason.

Hey, we may still finish mid table, but our preparation has set us up so that we shouldn't.

Calm yourself Deano. Football might not be rocket science but it isn't simple.

I don't see how anyone can watch Wolves games atm thinking we're paying a simple, straightforward system. The level of thought that goes into our shape and how we press the ball in different situations is seriously impressive.

Agreed. But playing the players in the right positions and playing a system that suits their abilities is what I was alluding too and I think that is quite simple. And its the same throughout the squad.

Let us not forget that less than 12 months ago George Saville was playing left wing for us, tactically we are so much better. I don't find myself discombobulated at every team selection any more as they make sense. I think we will still improve with this set of players and with a few key additions in January we should be in a strong position to push for automatic.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Back