• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

We wouldn't be able to sell him because not that many teams play wingbacks, those that do would want better and he is an utterly risible defender. Doesn't matter what money he's on, if you play a back four then you wouldn't want Matt Doherty on a free.

We convinced Reading to pay actually cash (a decent wad as well) for Jon Dadi and Edwards, anything is possible!

Plus, apparently there was interest in him in the summer. I'd have no doubts we could sell him.

Four year contract is quite barmy but I'm not really fussed. If we get promoted we will obviously sign a better player in his position (plus German Phil coming back).

The games I have seen he has played fairly well. The formation helps his limitations not to be shown up and he is a decent footballer going forwards which we need in this team. Defensively he's done fine on the balance of things and he's pretty good in the air which helps. That said, I'd be tempted to play Marshall there on the basis that they are similar in a lack of mobility defensively but Marshall is a better crosser of the ball.

His sluggish nature has always annoyed me but he even looks sharper this season as Dan has pointed out, he's clearly slimmer.

The manager argument is irrelevant. They all played Dave Edwards as well.

I'd say Doherty is doing an adequate job and his current performances are above the mean of the last however many number of years he's been here. However for someone who sees as much ball as he does in one of the positions so key to how we play, he should have more goals and assists than he currently does, which in the league this season I believe currently stands at 0/0 from 9 games.

With some people on here it's obviously personal with Doherty and they just won't see past their own blinkered view and can't see his value to the current team/squad. To say that he's no longer required to defend is irrelevant - no more relevant than if he was put up front and scored 20 goals season, he's been asked to do a job and he's doing it well. Let's not forget he's also on his EIGHTH manager since he signed for us. I know we've played some garbage football in that time but they can't all be wrong about what he has to offer - and it's their opinion that counts, not anyone on a forum. I think there was a player of the season thrown in there wasn't there? As for the money argument, there isn't one, Fosun's pockets are deep. For the record he's not my favourite player and it's a position that probably needs competition, but I won't let that change what I see in front of me, a player performing.

Yes but under those 8 managers we were relegated twice, and flirted with the drop another 2 times.
Its not entirely an honest argument to say that Doherty has played under 8 managers on merit, a lot of the times he was picked as he was the only option. And lets be honest, anyone who watched Doc between 2012 - 2015 would have to admit that he was worse than shite.

FWIW, I am glad he's improved, he's much better going forward as we all know, himself included, and he's capable of scoring a few belters, so fair play Nuno for putting him in a role where he's getting the best out of Doc. But he is extremely lucky to still be here IMO, and judging by his own admissions in yesterday interview, he knows it too.

Same thing applies, they could see his worth.

Those managers included Dean Saunders the worst manager in the country over the last twenty years and Zenga who's had more clubs than Tiger Woods.

Another was Connor who hasn't managed since and Edwards who was bombed out to the non-league and Solbakken fell on his own sword trying to get players to play alien football.

This leaves Jackett a limited Championship manager and Lambert who is fast becoming a bit of a fraud.

Why exactly should I trust their judgement?

Could it not also be argued that they were the problem if multiple managers kept picking them and continued getting sacked when we couldnt meet the clubs aims?

But he is extremely lucky to still be here IMO

Agree with this. But if Nuno didn't think he was capable of playing in this system, he wouldn't be here. The outgoings this summer have been necessary but ruthless nonetheless. I don't think the argument that he's only there by default is particularly fair either. He may not be the 1st choice RWB when we've a fully fit squad (I hope he isn't TBH) but he's done well so far this season.

I trust Nuno - what happened with the previous managers is totally irrelevant for this season IMO.

Jackett was the only one with any success, and Doc was at best a bit part player in his time managing us.

Yeah he's doing adequately. He's put in some good balls we just have missed the target. Bonatini definitely should have put a few of Doherty's balls away. He probably should have scored at weekend too.

But he definitely is in the team on merit (not that he has any competition). He's not an obvious weak link in the side that's for sure like Edwards etc were.

It's not that he can't defend that bothers me, it's that he doesn't try to and just jogs back

I agree with all of that, but now we have a manager that the vast majority see - quite rightly - as the best thing since balti pies and he's not only not replaced him, he's given him a four year contract extension.
We'll see how Nuno rates him when he has some genuine competition from a career RB.

Player extensions are neither here nor there. All first team players get them as already referenced.

I don't think we'll have trouble selling Doherty when we want to, plenty of our fans rate him and he's been a constant in a changing team for a few years, another championship club will pay a decent amount for him. We shifted Edwards and Bod easy enough

I agree with all of that, but now we have a manager that the vast majority see - quite rightly - as the best thing since balti pies and he's not only not replaced him, he's given him a four year contract extension.

The manager doesn't give contracts out. Kevin Thelwell does which is why he was pictured with a star RWB.

I think he's still shite by the way and only there by default. I think January will see us buy another RWB if German Phil is still crocked, which I fully expect him to be. But he is part of our side at the moment and he's performing at a level I think is adequate for the role right now. If you compare him to Vinagre and Douglas he is not in the same league and that's the standard we should be aiming for.

Your eyes may tell you something else and it's all about opinion, I happen to not agree with yours on this.

Listened to the match last night on the radio - first time I've had the opportunity this season, as the bowls season doesn't finish for another week.

Burrows stated Hause told him he'd play if needed, even though he's not quite 100%. Apparently Hause also said he would be fit enough by saturday.

Neves & Jota in the Portugal U21 squad

Free coach travel to Norwich away on the Tuesday night.

Top stuff.

Laurie has been through the big book of why Wolves fans hated Jez hasn't he.

Free coach travel to Norwich away on the Tuesday night.

Next step Laurie - check through membership details & offer to reimburse travel costs for anyone travelling more than 100 miles to a home game to thank them for their support :icon_smile:

Next step Laurie - check through membership details & offer to reimburse travel costs for anyone travelling more than 100 miles to a home game to thank them for their support :icon_smile:

i'll have some of that Peter !!!

Back