• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

Hahaha, far from it! And even worse, I work with technology!

Just my view that football is more than just the beautiful arc of the ball as it pings into the top corner, the mistakes add to the excitement in football - even if it can be detrimental to "fairness".

I'm with you. Football isn't a video game, it is human v human with a human in charge. Mistakes are normal. The only reason technology is being introduced is because of the money involved in football.

I'm with you. Football isn't a video game, it is human v human with a human in charge. Mistakes are normal. The only reason technology is being introduced is because of the money involved in football.

And because of that decisions must be right and obvious mistakes avoided

I like the one challenge per half per team principle. This should mean shockers are overturned, but the game isn't constantly stopped. I wouldn't give it back if it's correct though like cricket or tennis, just the one irrespective of whether it's used correctly or not. Maybe one opportunity a half for the ref to ask for a second opinion as well.

That's a very cynical view. I understand the human element but why would you not want to see the rules adhered to?

FWIW, I think we should have a rugby type video replay system whereby the ref can ask a 4th official for a specific view. It wouldn't delay the game anymore than it currently is and it would allow the ref to not feel too much pressure in letting the game go on and then go back for a decision.

And rugby do not have a problem with this, in fact you could say it adds to the drama. And as all professional football matches are filmed (even those in the conference) it's not as if the infrastructure isn't there. The quality might not be tip top lower down the pyramid but that could be said of referees also.

Personally I'm only in favour of such technology being introduced as long as it's fed down to all levels. What makes the Prem and the Championship more important to the clubs involved with them as opposed to lower/non league sides? Aside from money as TSB mentions?

Stourbridge might be the victim of a poor call by an official that robs them of promotion this season which could be avoided with goal line technology. Why should they suffer but we don't? That would be catastrophic for Stourbridge. Sure, the sums are different but the consequences are no different.

I know it's not realistic but it's not a level playing field so whereas I'm not totally against it, I do appreciate the other side of the debate.

I agree about the lower levels. There's plenty of money in football at the top level for it to be fed down to the Football League and make sure everyone gets the technology and is treated fairly. As Langers points to out, mistakes can make a much bigger difference to lower clubs.

Read on Faceache today that Fosun are reportedly very unhappy with Thelwell and are on the verge of sacking him. Supposedly he advised against signing Mhirana as we had Stear's, apparently Thelwell is very clicky (rather than clique :) with the old players) which is why Saiss / Prince haven't played as much as they should have

It all sounds like bulls hit and someone posting something that people would like to be true

I get Thelwell rejecting players but the non selection of Saiss etc is surely not his call and down to Lambert.

Read on Faceache today that Fosun are reportedly very unhappy with Thelwell and are on the verge of sacking him. Supposedly he advised against signing Mhirana as we had Stear's, apparently Thelwell is very clicky (rather than clique :) with the old players) which is why Saiss / Prince haven't played as much as they should have

It all sounds like bulls hit and someone posting something that people would like to be true

Just how much say does Thelwell have in team selection?

I think Thelwell does have influence over team selection, if Thelwell isn't keen on a player I could see some corporate bulls hit like "I'm not sure that fits in with our overall strategy"

It must have been Thelwell's decision to send Prince off, Lambert can hardly have seen him play at all.

Be very surprised if Thelwell has much input into team selection, so the absence of Saiss is unlikely to be his doing.

Though wouldn't object to him being got rid of as don't think that he has been a positive influence

Lets take a situation where Lambert says he wants to play a certain player in a certain position, but Thelwell disagrees, who has the final say? Surely the manager/head coach decides on the starting eleven for any given game.

Lets take a situation where Lambert says he wants to play a certain player in a certain position, but Thelwell disagrees, who has the final say? Surely the manager/head coach decides on the starting eleven for any given game.
It should be the manager. If it isn't it's a fucked up system and one that won't work.

Director of Football should not be getting involved in day to day team selection - what's the point of employing a first team manager if he is doing that

His job is to look at longer term recruitment & input from our development teams to improve that first team squad

Having provided the ammunition then it should be down to the manager to marshal that to get the best return he/she can.

They do need to work in tandem & need to be going in the same direction though

That's how it should work but whose more likely to lose their job if they fall out?

Say Lambert wants to play players that Thelwell didn't sanction?

Thelwells opinion on players that Lambert uses should be irrelevant.

For the most part I would agree, but for players who don't fit into Thelwell vision / strategy I'd imagine it would be tough for PL to play them

Any Manager worth his salt should be resisting any pressure from that side - the DoF provides the ammunition & the Manager should determine how he uses that!

As long as they are on the same wavelength then it will work, if they are not then it won't

Back