• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

LOL, who is that guy??

They really have no idea :facepalm:

As to acquisitions, Fosun isn’t giving up on them, just limiting them to industries it defines as "health, wealth and happiness," according to Liang. Recently, it agreed to buy Indian drugmaker Gland Pharma Ltd. through its pharmaceutical unit (health), offered to invest in Banco Comercial Portugues SA (wealth) and purchased the Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club (happiness).

Clearly I hope it's not true, but I do have a little bit of sympathy with the sentiment.

It's great to feel excited about the club again, and it's certainly much more interesting at the moment. However I could understand how a fan of another club might look in and think it looks an awful lot like another Leeds, Blackburn, Blues situation. We can't yet guarantee that it isn't.

This idea that the Championship is some nigh insurmountable task that only those who have experienced it can be successful at really rubs me the wrong way.

This idea that the Championship is some nigh insurmountable task that only those who have experienced it can be successful at really rubs me the wrong way.
I think the thing is that it's so close, almost all the clubs at pretty much the same level so you gotta produce the perfect storm to get promoted. You can't mess around.

Agree Alan. If you have quality players you should expect to do well whether you're Steve Bruce, Mick McCarthy or Walter Zenga.

However I could understand how a fan of another club might look in and think it looks an awful lot like another Leeds, Blackburn, Blues situation. We can't yet guarantee that it isn't.

Only if you were wilfully ignorant of football finances and wanted to indulge in a bit of slapdash generalisation.

- Leeds: Cellino was up on fraud charges before he even arrived. There was over a decade of evidence to suggest that he'd be highly erratic with managerial appointments and sackings. It's not a question of wealth with him (he's been better in that sense for Leeds than Bates and GFH), it's that he's a pathological liar and a monumental idiot.

- Blackburn: Shot their mouths off straight away about wanting to sign Ronaldinho and Beckham, no such stuff from Fosun. They immediately downgraded from Allardyce to Steve Kean, I don't think anyone would argue swapping Kenny Jackett for Walter Zenga is anything like in the same league.

- Blues: Patently obvious that Carson Yeung did not have any sort of independent wealth, he'd failed to get the money together a year before he actually did take charge of the club.

Fosun's wealth is a matter of record and the way we've done our business so far has been quick and efficient rather than haphazard.

Worst case scenario for us, as far as I can see, is a QPR-like situation. Spending and spending, but spending poorly, and never really making a go of things as a result.

Worst case scenario for us, as far as I can see, is a QPR-like situation. Spending and spending, but spending poorly, and never really making a go of things as a result.

This is where I think being owned by a conglomerate rather than an individual (say, Robin Li) helps us out. QPR have failed because Tony Fernandes knows nothing about football, gets swayed easily by names and wastes money on follies, it's all on his personal whim. Whoever Fosun end up installing as chairman and/or CEO will have to abide by what the group wants, not just charging off and spending enormous sums on inadvisable players. It's all got to be targeted investment with clearly defined plans, rather than the owner getting suckered into listening to who Harry Redknapp thought was a good player in 2006.

Yeah that's all very likely, I agree. But I also expect them to take time to get to the position where they can consistently make wise footballing decisions. By his own admission, Shi says he isn't up to doing the CEO's job for more than a few months - and while I expect them to appoint someone reasonably impressive for that role, the decisions made in the mean time may not necessarily be the best ones by comparison.

Like, it's great having the connections that Mendes has in the game, but there is also an incentive there for him to kickstart a few of his clients (or his mates' clients) careers that have started to stutter a bit while he's Fosun's main footballing advisor. Costa looks a sure bet, but Silvio's injury problems mean that he needs us as much as we need him, for example. All the one-year deals or loans (and a journeyman manager like Zenga) make me think that Fosun's main priority right now (and what they've asked Mendes) is to plump up the team and make sure there is 0% chance of a relegation battle with our otherwise weak squad.

I think January is going to be where we start to see the serious money from Fosun, and the real signs of what the long-term plans are in terms of players and coaches, as the hierarchy behind the scenes should be fully established by then.

Fosun's wealth is a matter of record and the way we've done our business so far has been quick and efficient rather than haphazard.

To be pedantic, Fosun's massive debts are a matter of record though they clearly have very easy access to more than sufficient funds to splash a few tens of millions buying players for us.

To be pedantic, Fosun's massive debts are a matter of record though they clearly have very easy access to more than sufficient funds to splash a few tens of millions buying players for us.
Whatever debts Fosun have incurred would be paid for dozens of times over if they liquidated their stocks.

Business debt is a red herring when you do business at the level Fosun do.

Try telling that to shareholders in Lehman or Royal Bank of Scotland.
Shareholders aren't indicative of anything. Any publicly traded company has shareholders who have little to no impact on the company overall.

Depress and Blah are highlighting how Jackett isnt thd only manager to 'have the rug pulled' as so did Ian Greaves when the Bhattis took over. I cant even! Ken's demise 'evokes memories of Ian Greaves'

I cant help but think Greaves is immeterial and this is a blatant dig at Fosun with flimsy digs comparing them to the Bhattis.

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport...day-new-wolves-owners-axe-manager/wolves3-29/

Depress and Blah are highlighting how Jackett isnt thd only manager to 'have the rug pulled' as so did Ian Greaves when the Bhattis took over. I cant even! Ken's demise 'evokes memories of Ian Greaves'

I cant help but think Greaves is immeterial and this is a blatant dig at Fosun with flimsy digs comparing them to the Bhattis.

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport...day-new-wolves-owners-axe-manager/wolves3-29/

There's absolutely no need for this story is there? With new owners you would have thought the B&S want to create a good impression, instead they start with this thinly veiled shite.

It's almost as if they enjoy being cunts.

Back