• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

Forgot about Foley, I'd have him in as well probably.

The OP said he put Stowell in goal because he was undisputed number 1 for a decade.
Didn’t want to fill the team with mostly Nuno players, and went for a balance.
Was loads of replies going “ where’s moutihno?” Before he turned the comments off

Oakes was a big downgrade on Stowell.
I wouldn't say so, Stowell was pushing 35 when he was replaced and was only going one way from a not particularly high base.

Oakes was fine, not great, not awful.

This is the team we picked collectively in 2017 via DW's master thread. Would be a fair few additions from the Fosun era for most of us

Matt Murray

Kevin Foley
Dean Richards
Joleon Lescott
Andy Thompson

Helder Costa
Alex Rae
Colin Cameron
Bakary Sako

Steve Bull
Robbie Keane

Manager: Mick McCarthy

That was per position though, something like Lycans if it was an actual formation that works

Murray was better than Patricio.
Small sample size though isn't it, and all bar one game in the Championship. Rui did it for us as a top 7 Premier League team and in Europe. Rui also played more games for Wolves despite only being here for three years. Over 100 international caps for a top European team too.

Murray *could* have been better but he wasn't.

Patrício

Boly Coady Lescott

Doherty Neves Moutinho Jonny

Keane Raúl Jota

Subs: Murray, Saïss, Richards, Froggatt, McDonald, Jarvis, Sako, Bull, Cavaleiro
Bull on the bench 😬

I wouldn't say so, Stowell was pushing 35 when he was replaced and was only going one way from a not particularly high base.

Oakes was fine, not great, not awful.
Oh he needed replacing but we went from a keeper that commanded his area to one who didn't.

Fred Davies in Goal and Dougan and Richards.
They might not fit into todays lineup, but that'd be a silly conversation.

Fred Davies who left Wolves in 1968? Not sure he fits "the last 40 years" tbh.

Bull on the bench 😬
Jota, Raúl & Keane at their best could be considered alongside some of the best players in Europe in their position & the 3-4-3 suits more of our best players over the last 40 years than the 4-4-2 you'd need to get Bull & Raúl.

Jota, Raúl & Keane at their best could be considered alongside some of the best players in Europe in their position & the 3-4-3 suits more of our best players over the last 40 years than the 4-4-2 you'd need to get Bull & Raúl.
I'm not opening up a Steve Bull sized can of worms. If you're doing a best 11 of Wolves players from the past 40 years and are leaving Bully on the bench, you're a mentalist. But I guess you could be showing your age!

Mine:

Matt Murray

Kevin Foley
Willy Boly
Jolean Lescott
Jonny

Michael Kightly
Ruben Neves
Joao Moutinho
Diogo Jota

Steve Bull
Raul Jimenez

Close calls:
Andy Thompson & Barry Douglas missing out to Jonny.

Dean Richards, De Wolf (although this is more about the cult status than him actually being decent), I always had a soft spot for Jody Craddock, Pollet was classy. Can't justify putting any of them ahead of Boly/Lescott, though.

Helder Costa. Nearly put him ahead of Kites, because I loved watching Costa play in the first couple of seasons he was here.

Obviously Robbie Keane.

I'm not opening up a Steve Bull sized can of worms. If you're doing a best 11 of Wolves players from the past 40 years and are leaving Bully on the bench, you're a mentalist. But I guess you could be showing your age!

Close calls:
Andy Thompson & Barry Douglas missing out to Jonny.

:ROFLMAO: How can it be close - Thommo with his tache and locks chasing after Championship wingers for the vast majority of his career or Jonny looking accomplished, composed and competent in a side that finished 7th in the Premier League twice.

Back