• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

BREAKING🚨: Wolves have appointed former Stoke City coach Richard Walker as our new manager of the U18s.

Someone on twitter said this is the best wolves team of the last 40 years.
Discuss.
IMG_0914.jpeg

Andy Thompson has a similar hold over a section of Wolves fans that Boris Johnson had/has over a proportion of the electorate. Not fit for purpose yet folk will defend him to the hilt.

We've currently got 3 left backs at the club who are better than him.

Dennison, Thompson, Richards, Downing are all picked on sentimentality. Irwin on reputation.

I was only a kid in the early-90's but Stowell always seemed hit or miss. Vaguely remember him been called dracula by those behind us due to his fear of crosses.

Dennison, Thompson, Richards, Downing are all picked on sentimentality. Irwin on reputation.

I was only a kid in the early-90's but Stowell always seemed hit or miss. Vaguely remember him been called dracula by those behind us due to his fear of crosses.
DW and I watched a lot of 90s review videos during covid and it was noted that he got beat from distance a hell of a lot, often he was a yard further from his line than he should have been.

My opinion of him has fallen dramatically.

However, it's possibly unfair as those season review videos only show goals, so his good saves, coming for crosses etc are easily forgotten.

Yep used to stand in a sort of no mans land area around the six yard box.

I'd have Murray in goal every time although he'd give Nick Pope a run for his money with the ball at his feet.

Patricio
Murray
Sa
Hennessey
Ruddy
Hahnemann
Oakes
Stowell
Kendall
Jones Mk 1
Ikeme
Postma
Jones Mk 2
Lonergan

That's how I'd rank the regular(ish) keepers over the last 35 years.

------------------Patricio---------------

Foley-------Boly---------Lescott------Jonny

Kightly------Neves------Moutinho----Jota

-------------Bull---------Jimenez-------------

Patrício

Boly Coady Lescott

Doherty Neves Moutinho Jonny

Keane Raúl Jota

Subs: Murray, Saïss, Richards, Froggatt, McDonald, Jarvis, Sako, Bull, Cavaleiro
That takes some beating

Reactions: Doc
Stowell did let a lot of those goals in from range that you'd say should be saved but that seemed to happen overall a lot more then. The standard of goalkeepers has improved a fair bit since then.
Yeah a huge amount.

The amount of effort that Stowell used to put into his goal kicks too - for them to land just past the halfway line compared to say Hennessey who could hit the opposing penalty area with what looked like 20% effort.

#technique

Back