• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Fulham 1 - 3 Wolves: Verdict thread.

Play Edwards in his best position, our best attacking players and we play well and come away with 3 points.......coincidence? I don't think so

On train back to Clapham now.

Really good performance - Fulham were pretty but innefective. Will say more when I get home. A good day out.

Finish from Weimann superb I presume there is a fee agreed let's sign him up. Batth error was just a sloppy clearance still he should be doing a lot better there.

Costa has added a bit of grit to his game great strength for a little fella.

Wonderful to see everyone so happy it's been a long time coming.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

A couple of lovely beers in The Eight Bells on Fulham High Street. A walk through the Park alongside The Thames and a wonderful performance at Craven Cottage. Proper Ground. Dave Edwards was brilliant. They just couldn't handle Costa. Classic smash and grab away win. Soak up the tippy tappy football and give it to Costa. Excellent all round team performance and defended really well.

Glad you had a good day mate!

How much trouble are Birmingham City in? Had they not won at Molineux they would be in serious trouble.

Wow wow wow. Only just been able to access scores. Going to read the match day thread and then hopefully some ratings if anyone went :D. Awesome stuff

Solid away performance. We weren't particularly brilliant but for most part defensively we were sound and if we stay in any game a front four like that will cause the opposition issues. On the break Cavaleiro provided us with a great threat through the middle - something we have lacked for some time. It's nice to have someone who runs at players centrally rather than just in wide areas. In possession, he linked well with his team mates which brought Costa and Weimann in particular to life, when they have been quite isolated at times. The whole front four was quite fluid which was also refreshing. We look two full backs and a centre midfielder short of an actual decent top half side I would say.

The change at half time for Fulham swung things further in our way as they lacked protection between defence and midfield (Johansen and Cairney the two in the second half) as they tried to chase the game but this allowed us to get on the front foot and play more in their half. Poor move by Jokanovic.

Ikeme - 7 - made two good stops that I can remember. Tried to look to play short a few times when he could convince someone to take it off of him. Couple of wayward kicks.

Coady - 6 - fairly steady but for someone who came through Liverpool's academy and played in England's youth set up, his technique isn't half awful. The space between and behind him and Batth was our weak link I felt today.

Batth - 6 - again solid but usual bog standard Batth performance. I've not seen Fulham goal again but he did seem at fault - which would make it two games running. Would hope after international break Williamson will step back in .

Hause - 8 - superb. Can't think of many times he put a foot wrong. I'm a big fan and when we get better players around him I can only see him getting stronger. Decent pass down the line for Cavaleiro goal.

Doherty - 7 - Maybe because he had Hause supporting him (and Marshall holding his hand for much of the first half) but rarely troubled I felt. Didn't offer anything attacking wise but not sure either full back were really under instruction to get too far forward.

Evans - 5 and 7 - 5 for first half 7 for second. Not neccsarily their fault but our centre midfield were fairly anonymous in the first half I thought. Quite passing and this allowed Fulham to dominate most of the possession. Second half some excellent tackles to disrupt Fulham and good passing as Evans has shown he can really do well.

Edwards - 5 and 7 - same for Edwards. I'm pretty sure he completed two passes in the entire first half, which is pretty abysmal. And he contributed little out of possession, so it really hindered us. By the 47th minute he had completed more passes than in the 45 previous and played a role in our second goal. Won the ball far more often and linked well with those in front of him. Made a huge difference. Was a good move to shift him forward when Cavaleiro went off as could tell we needed some legs on the break to support Dicko. I called him scoring at the point!

Costa - 8 - Made two goals and involved in the other heavily. Far too much quality against a young (and talented) Sessegnon. Great strength to make the first goal. People keep saying he looks disinterested but I think he is just jaded. You can see he looks a bit heavier. The Championship is extremely demanding physically and for players like him something has to give eventually. Will be a well earned rest by the end of the season for him.

Caveleiro - 8 - Danger man for us. He's absolutely brilliant technically and the role he had today allowed him to pick up some great positions. He's strong as well and was fairly disciplined out of possession which surprised me. Keep him their Paul, he could be vital next season. Worth every penny of the £7m we paid for him.

Marshall - 7 - Very good footballer, though not as quick as the other two of course. I think he is still not at full fitness (so a full pre-season with us will see him a lot stronger) but you can tell what he has to offer. Defensively he is also good and gives us a good balance overall. Good signing.

Weimann - 8 - Probably my man of the match. Covered four positions today within the game and was good in all of them. Though he kept, frustratingly, getting caught offside he does offer good movement and as he isn't an out and out forward it allows him to swap roles easier with others. As I mentioned, the front four were very fluid and that was in large part down to him. Great finish for the goal

Subs

Dicko - 6 - did OK but was quite sluggish I thought. Another player who needs a full pre-season, and some more competition. SOme good touches and held the ball up fairly well.

Saiss - 6 - good move by Lambert to put him in when he did. Absolutely killed the game, and shifting Edwards forward got us the needed third goal.

Saville - n/a - barely touched it out on the left

Lots of positive, but equally a long way to go before we get too excited. We need two decent full backs desperately, and a centre midfielder unless Lambert starts to trust Saiss more.

Just seen the highlights - Costa absolutely mugging off both Fulham's full backs for the two assists. Back to his best, by the looks of it. Lovely finish from Weimann.

Personally, it's a bit harsh blaming Batth solely for the goal we conceded. Sure, he's miskicked the ball in the build up and will, quite rightly, be lambasted for it - but there was enough time following on from that for us to reorganise and get out. Doherty just stood off their lad and let him have a free shot.

Excellent win, though.

Just seen the highlights - Costa absolutely mugging off both Fulham's full backs for the two assists. Back to his best, by the looks of it. Lovely finish from Weimann.

Personally, it's a bit harsh blaming Batth solely for the goal we conceded. Sure, he's miskicked the ball in the build up and will, quite rightly, be lambasted for it - but there was enough time following on from that for us to reorganise and get out. Doherty just stood off their lad and let him have a free shot.

Excellent win, though.

It was a bit of a bobbler too. Batth can take some blame but it was not his worst moment or error of the season. Could ikeme have done better? It came a long way. Someone who was there let me know?

It was a bit of a bobbler too. Batth can take some blame but it was not his worst moment or error of the season. Could ikeme have done better? It came a long way. Someone who was there let me know?

Looked to take a bit of a deflection to me

Was it Doherty who completely failed to close down their shot for the Flum goal?

The shot hit a defender and spun up and looped over Ikeme. Nothing he could do.

One thing to note with Costa, I imagine he can't have played this amount of physically intensive football in Benfica's B team, so it's not surprising if he has had a few troughs as well as peaks in his form recently. I guess a good pre-season in England should see him fitter and able to handle the rigours better.

Really good finish from Weimann, looks like he could be best suited to playing as the main striker.

One thing to note with Costa, I imagine he can't have played this amount of physically intensive football in Benfica's B team, so it's not surprising if he has had a few troughs as well as peaks in his form recently. I guess a good pre-season in England should see him fitter and able to handle the rigours better.

Think its less that Costa has been disinterested, more he's physically and mentally knackered, Cavs return has taken some of the pressure off and given him a boost

Back