• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Football Manager

Some questions about defense... I've got good players, but I still seem to leak a lot of goals. I also score way, way more than anyone else though, so I imagine it's something to do with my offensive tactics. The big problem for me seems to be crosses into the box-- the centers let players slip past them and don't clear the ball crosses in far too often. They have good marking/positioning. Tactically they're set to D so they maintain a line, cautious tackling, and man-marking... Any advice?

Try your two CBs as Stoppers with zonal marking.

I always use a covering ball playing defender and then just normal defensive settings on the other. Having the best DM in the world probably aids my defensive record though.

Try your two CBs as Stoppers with zonal marking.

I've used zonal until the past year or so, and have also used various combinations of CB's with different specialties (several of which are stoppers), but even so still leak goals. My biggest problem with setting them as stoppers with zonal is I'd constantly get killed with 1-2 through balls. Any decent attacking team could waltz through my center two with a few quick passes... one will go for the ball, then I just get carved.

I always use a covering ball playing defender and then just normal defensive settings on the other. Having the best DM in the world probably aids my defensive record though.

I have a really good DM but still have defensive problems sometimes even playing a formation with him. I'm doing something seriously wrong...

Last edited:
Wait till you have the full version.

The Romulus challenge, is friggin hard. After 4 points from my first 2 games i hit a winless run of something like 13 games. Near the end of that run i signed 3 new defenders, 2 midfielders and 2 signings to get the crowd going...a 98 year old Steve Claridge and Michael Branch.

A couple of games to settle in and i have now won 3 in a row, which has dragged me off the bottom and out of the relegation spots.

Hard? pffft

Those inspired signings took the Roms to the Play Offs and promotion was secured with a 4-0 win in the Final. Stevie Claridge hit over 20 goals. Not bad for a wanker with a zimmer frame.

Some questions about defense... I've got good players, but I still seem to leak a lot of goals. I also score way, way more than anyone else though, so I imagine it's something to do with my offensive tactics. The big problem for me seems to be crosses into the box-- the centers let players slip past them and don't clear the ball crosses in far too often. They have good marking/positioning. Tactically they're set to D so they maintain a line, cautious tackling, and man-marking... Any advice?

Check your CB's Jumping attribute.. Heading counts for nothing if they can't meet the ball in the air

Did you put the new graphics pack into the same folder as the old ones, and overwrite the config file? Cos that would mean the game no longer can work out where your old badges should appear (the config file links each graphic to its place in the game).

Thought I'd have a bit of fun and look into the future,so I started a simulation/holiday game with Ståle as manager and Wiggen assistant.

Couldn't find an option for a future (2012) transfer for them to Wolves so I put Wolves in the Championship 2011.

No players in or out first window.

After the 5 first games: 5-0-0 and GD of 14-3.So far so good then. :)

Check your CB's Jumping attribute.. Heading counts for nothing if they can't meet the ball in the air

They're 6'7" and 6'5" with maxed jumping. My LB/RB are useless in the air so I make sure all my CB's are gigantic. The crosses they have trouble with are drilled in low balls, not lobbed passes.

I tried messing around with the formation again some though and have kept a clean sheet in 3 (in 4 if you discount my stupid goalie OG). Tried putting them back on Stopper's and pushed the line up. Guess I'll see if it holds... Could just be their stats have improved enough where I can trust them to leave the line now, unlike before.

I'd imagine Pace and Anticipation would be key attributes with low crosses.

They're 6'7" and 6'5" with maxed jumping. My LB/RB are useless in the air so I make sure all my CB's are gigantic. The crosses they have trouble with are drilled in low balls, not lobbed passes.

I tried messing around with the formation again some though and have kept a clean sheet in 3 (in 4 if you discount my stupid goalie OG). Tried putting them back on Stopper's and pushed the line up. Guess I'll see if it holds... Could just be their stats have improved enough where I can trust them to leave the line now, unlike before.

Again, take no notice of the height and weight of players. It makes absolutely no difference in the game.

Are you conceding as a result of counter attacks? If the goals are continually coming from wide areas it's your full backs you need to look at.

If you've got two lumbering neanderthals at centre-half then it's no wonder you get undone by sharp quick passing. They'll head the ball all day but turn slower than milk.

I'd imagine Pace and Anticipation would be key attributes with low crosses.

Ahh Anticipation might be part of the problem-- even my defenders I force to train in quickness until I feel comfortable they can keep up, but anticipation I don't know off the top of my head.

If you've got two lumbering neanderthals at centre-half then it's no wonder you get undone by sharp quick passing. They'll head the ball all day but turn slower than milk.

:icon_lol:

Their agility is typical for CB's AFAIR. I should just post my back 4's screen shots when I get home.

Again, take no notice of the height and weight of players. It makes absolutely no difference in the game.

Are you conceding as a result of counter attacks? If the goals are continually coming from wide areas it's your full backs you need to look at.

No doubt that it's a problem that the crosses are coming to begin with. My RB is pretty weak (youngster). Regardless it'd be nice for the centers to be a little more proactive in the clearances.

If you're continually getting done down the flanks, the centre halves won't be able to stop everything. Perhaps play a deeper defensive line, therefore there's less space in behind. You can often crowd wingers out more when you stand up to them.

If he's a youngster, don't play them all the time. Rest him frequently and he'll improve quickly.

If you're continually getting done down the flanks, the centre halves won't be able to stop everything. Perhaps play a deeper defensive line, therefore there's less space in behind. You can often crowd wingers out more when you stand up to them.

I have wingers that stick to the line, so they should be helping too. I've likely neglected the midfields defensive abilities, though... I've never messed with the line, been using a pushed up line for the past few games. Will try a deep one once this strategy wears out to compare.

If he's a youngster, don't play them all the time. Rest him frequently and he'll improve quickly.

All 3 of my RB's are young, so not much getting around that... Tottenham made a ridiculous for my decent, aging back that I couldn't refuse. I have two that I rotate, equal statistically. I rarely get burnt on the left, so that side is fine.

I think the biggest challenge for me right now is just delving a little deeper in the game. At this point I've got a squad capable of doing anything they want and I've got a firm handle of actually playing the game. Time to start taking notice of some smaller details and making finer adjustments. I'm usually multi-tasking when playing so I've probably noticing a few things during games...

Wingers hugging the line is better attacking wise, but poorer defensively. Try leaving them on a normal setting.

Back