• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Football Manager

You're a gent.

Bilston here we come.

Checking in to an epic thread.

I started playing FM12 about a week and a half ago.
Started with my usual team of Shrewsbury Town. First season, I finished in 6th position and in the playoffs. Lost the playoff semi to Dagenham and Redbridge, so started building for automatic promotion the next season. Made a few key signings in my first season - Jamil Adam (young Irish free agent striker - scored 22 goals for me in the first season), Jon Ashton (talismanic centre half - cost me a whopping £45k - my entire transfer budget), Elliott Parish (keeper from Villa's academy - initially on a season long loan, then they released him so I got him on a free).

The next season I had a poor start, but began to gain momentum in the second half of the season. Bournemouth ran away with the league, and were about 11 points clear by this point. But it was between Shrewsbury, Bradford and Oxford for the other two automatic promotion spots. Came down to the last day of the season - I needed to win, and either of the other two teams not win and I would be up. I won my game 4-1. Unfortunately the Bradford and Oxford both won so I finished in 4th place, and in the playoffs.

I won the playoff semi with ease, got to Wembley for the big final against... Dagenham and Redbridge!
The Shrews took about 25,000 fans to Wembley, all expecting promotion. I go 1 nil up within the first 5 minutes thansks to my unit of a centre midfielder and think I'm cruising. But after 13 minutes I get a man sent off for a professional foul! Dag and Red then go and score the equaliser and I think I'm fucked. 1-1 at half time, I give the team talk of my life. Proper Churchillian inspiriation (well, that's how I imagined it anyway).
Second half - the 10 man Shrewsbury come out firing on all cylinders! The centre mid scores his second to put us 2-1 up after 50 minutes! The crowd go mental! Then for the rest of the half, we defend like beavers, until the 85th minute, when we catch Dag and Red on the counter attack, and the centre mid gets his hatrick! Absolute hero!

Now I'm in League One, just a few points outside the playoffs. The plan is to build for promotion next season. I want Premier League football within 5 seasons.

I think I might buy this tonight. Tried playing 2010 but was overwhelmed. Still find myself enjoying the management aspects of FIFA more than the gameplay though and am gonna delve into it for awhile.

Any starting tips, suggestions, plans, etc.?

Last edited:
Look at the official forums, there's some crazy stuff on there.

I'd start with a top team to get a grip of the game and go from there.

This is my best season ever on any FM so far. Newgens are coming through and excelling, every one who's played a part so far has been a hit.

223710d1329258810-what-clean-sheet-clean-sheets-1.jpg

223711d1329258812-what-clean-sheet-clean-sheets-2.jpg

You only beat Albion 1-0, Boozad out!

Got FM12 last night but couldn't dig into it until maybe 11, and at that point it was just too late to sit through the tutorials and gain anything. Class until 1030 the next two nights... Guess I'll check back in here on Friday. :(

I lost to fucking Wigan! Without Fierro we're not great.

Struggling atm, still doing ok in season 2 but grinding out lucky draws/wins rather than playing the free-flowing football of last season. Unsure what to change really as both my 4-4-2 and 4-5-1 don't seem to be working well anymore. Made it to the final of the League Cup again but we're likely to get thumped by City in the final.

pee'd off. just discovered when my laptop crashed last night I hadn't saved after my last 3 fixtures...3 wins, including my second string team beating barca 4-1 to top the group on GD (any less goals, we'd be runners up in the group).

Do you guys normally play as Wolves or someone else? Does WFC have a feeder club?

I don't normally but most of the other lads do.

No, you have to set your own affiliates up. Feeder/parent links don't exist formally to any great extent in real life English football. There's informal links, like we went through a stage of sending a lot of our young kids on loan to Stockport, or Alex Ferguson frequently loans players to whoever Darren Ferguson happens to be managing, but nothing that's drawn up as a contractual agreement. However it's a nice dimension to the game to have.

The only thing is I'm always Wolves in FIFA career, ultimate team, etc. and just get kinda bored/tired of the same repetitive team all the time. Does that make sense? I'd certainly like to make Wolves an established team in FM12, but would look to do something a bit more challenging with it. Only problem is since I'm stateside I don't know anything about English football outside of the EPL. I don't want to pick some random team only to find out their manager and leading striker are serial sheep rapists or something. :icon_lol:

Depends how much of a challenge you want...I always prefer lower league management and long career games. You could try loading England and Germany and being my beloved St Pauli. They're not rapists or anything, they're cool.

You don't really need to "know" much about the players or anything, you'll pick it up as you go along. I've had career games that have taken me to the likes of Finland, Bulgaria, South Africa, Mexico and loads of other weird and wonderful places. Your coaches and scouts will help you get a hold on things.

What if I want a team of sheep humpers? Is there an attribute for that?

Just sign Derby players. Or scout the entire Welsh league.

I'm actually quite sad today, I had a save with Wolves, 4 seasons in, I'd won the league for the first time, I'd won the Euro Cup twice, the League Cup and FA Cup, and I was in the Knockouts of the CL, I had a good young squad that was just coming of age ready to take on the world for the next few years, then disaster struck.

On my mac, I'd put a windows partition, for when I needed my windows side, but I hadn't used it since I put it on there, so I thought, I'll get rid of it, and I had, but for some reason I was still missing 50gb from my HDD, so I thought I'll do a fresh install, completely erase everything on here, then put Snow Leopard back on, so I backed things I needed up, and went about erasing everything, completely reinstalled it, then thought nothing of it, went to bed, only to realise about half hour later, I'd forgotten to back my Wolves save up (I'd been backing up using my phone & USB pen as my external HDD I left at my girlfriends), and forgot to back it up because of the large quantities of other things, so in my haste to get everything backed up quickly, I'd forgotten my most important thing :(

I just don't have the motivation to start again with Wolves after all that, I feel quite depressed about it ha, may end up starting with with Bilbao or Ajax, I quite like their squads.

Anyway, there's a story of my foolishness, let that be a lesson to everybody, make sure you back everything you need up! Once you have, then check again!

Back