• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Football Manager

In my second season having won the league with 100 points, mid table after about 12 games in PL

----------------------Hansen--------------------------

Matthews-----Stearman------Rekik-------------Bertrand

--------------Darder---------W.Hughes----------------

Henry----------------P.Roberts------------------Sako

------------------------Dicko---------------------------

Subs: Ikeme, Marriapa, McDonald, McLeod, Jacobs, Mackay-Steven, Wilson

Sold Batth for 10 million to Villa, and got Doherty, Arter, Rowe, van la Parra that I want to get rid of in January as I'm short on centre backs and need a quality winger.

Seems like everyone is managing pretty well with wolves, I'm looking forward to having a go when the update comes out (Afobe ftw) but I did the same last year and only did about 2/3 seasons before I lost interest.

Meanwhile in Scotland I've got Annan top of Scottish league 2 about halfway through the the season.

Start with Championship Manager 01/02 and the latest data update - you can download it for free, legally from Sports Interactive. It's quick and fun and doesn't need a huge investment of time, although it does tend to end up that way!
I assume you mean FMScout? I can't find it anywhere on SI's site.

Don't know off the top of my head. It was the official release though, so whoever is licensed to distribute it has it for free.

I stayed up til 1am last night finishing my first PL season with Wolves. Beat Sunderland at Stadium of Light in the 2nd last game to secure 6th place and Europa League. Tense stuff, smoked all my g-friends cigarettes during the run in, and I don't even smoke anymore! West Ham and Villa were chasing but both lost on the 2nd last day to leave a 5 point gap going into the last game, which I lost 3-1 against Liverpool. The key signing for me was Victor Valdes, he's been superb.

Gonna strengthen the squad now, looking to get Kane and some Brazilian defender in.

how on earth did you manage to get valdes?? I can't get anyone decent to sign in my first season up. I was able to coax Darren Fletcher to join by massively overpaying (he's like 15% of the budget), but that's about it. And then he ended up being utterly terrible for most of the season too, aggravating.

Last edited:
Downloaded it, patched it all up and the damned thing turns my screen to black when I start it inducing a restart. Gah! I also checked and made sure that it was running as/with XP SP2 too.

What formations are working for everyone?

Mainly 4-2-3-1?

I've not really had a crack at making my own yet.

Yeah I've used 4-2-3-1 for a few years now.

Capture.JPG

That's pretty similar to what I go with Booz

What formations are working for everyone?

Mainly 4-2-3-1?

I've not really had a crack at making my own yet.

4-3-2-1 with Dicko up top and VLP and Nathan supporting making it a 3 up front when we attack. It makes for a goal fest at both ends but the defence seems to have improved now we are in Europe

how on earth did you manage to get valdes?? I can't get anyone decent to sign in my first season up. I was able to coax Darren Fletcher to join by massively overpaying (he's like 15% of the budget), but that's about it. And then he ended up being utterly terrible for most of the season too, aggravating.

He had 6 months left on his contract so offered him 20 grand a week and he came. I wasn't expecting it tbh. I was trawling the market for free agents and players with expiring contracts and made 3-4 offers and he was the one who signed

First season I was using 4-4-2, 4-3-1-2, and 4-1-2-2-1 (v-shape)/4-2-3-1(what booze posted). For the latter I would move between the DM/AM spots depending on game. Had success with all of them so long as I rotated and played the matchup.

good strikers + AM are always in ridiculous supply so I try to make use of more aggressive formations to get everything out of the roster. really not a fan of just 1 up top.

And this is my first team.

View attachment 817

I've got John Stones for Roma but find he gets torn up at right back. Moved him to cb and he's playing brilliantly, not sure how much longer I can keep him as he's attracting attention from Barca.

Really hard to get a decent back 4 in this game but I've finally got one with Digne, Alvarez Balanta, Stones and Darmian my first choice (Oviedo, Manolas, Romagnoli & Jedvaj as back up). Win most of my games 1 or 2 nil on the counter.

I'm 13th at the moment coming towards the end of my second season, if I had a decent back four I would have easily finished top half. Rekik has been immense for me on loan from City, hopefully I can get him as his contract runs out end of season. Had a bid accepted for Manolas but his wage demands were ridiculous.

Drew first game of third season with Newcastle, a striker away from a really good side though I feel. Couldn't keep Rekik on loan again but signed Papadopoulos from Schalke as his replacement. Adam Maher has just agreed a deal to sign too. Patrick Roberts has thrown a tantrum because I won't sell him to Chelsea though

Hansen

Matthews Papadopoulos Stearman Bertrand

Darder Hughes

Roberts Maher Green

Dicko​

Subs: Ikeme, Cook, Gil, Evans, Sako, Jacobs, Wilson

question about defending... the zone/man marking schemes don't seem to exist anymore, but my defenders are utterly stupid. are there settings changed somewhere for this or am I gonna have to set tactics for every single match/formation?

would really like to set up zones so my idiot CB's stop being pulled out of place.

How do you mean? Can't you just give the defender an instruction to stay in their position?

they don't seem to pay attention to the type of CB I set them as, even as limited defender set to cover, they both get so easily pulled out of place. and my midfield/fb's are constantly double-teaming everyone, leaving their spots wide open. I give up more goals from opponents moving into WIDE OPEN channels than anything else.

guess I could use the "close down less" option in the tactics, though it's not quite what I want.

I don't seem to get that, how strange!

Back