• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Fans Against VAR - Join us

How do you mean by linguist? Like a languages teacher?

I find it fascinating. I read politics but minored in sociology, I took a module on accents. The passion for the subject of the seminar leader was incredible.

Learnt everything from Norman invasions, Viking, Celt, Germanic and Latin influence on our language all the way to industrial revolution and its impact. The history geek inside me couldn't get enough of it.
I'm a translator (well, some of the time)

My degree is French and German and I taught English in Germany many many years ago.

I'd say there's enough of a difference, yeah. Though I'm a linguist by trade so I listen out for it more. Shrewsbury definitely more rural.
I’m from Shrewsbury, worked in Wolverhampton for a bit and got told I sounded posh. Accents are strange things!

My kids were all born in Telford, when my eldest was about 4, he was playing with my nephew (they live in Lye) after about 10 minutes my sister in law became aware of the conversation between the young uns and declared, "ooh doh ee talk posh" I'd say he had a general West Mids accent but with a few edges removed.
I too like accents, wherever they're from, I realise some people cringe when they hear a very strong regional accent, whether it's Black Country, Scouse, Geordie........obviously everyone hates cockernee😆

When Mrs DW met my Dad and my brother for the first time I had to reassure her beforehand with "I promise you, I am related to them".

I thought he was Manc?
He is an accent sponge.

He gave Seyi the full cockney treatment whilst we were sat in the hospitality seats at Molineux. Back to his normal accent before the people around us recovered

He is an accent sponge.

He gave Seyi the full cockney treatment whilst we were sat in the hospitality seats at Molineux. Back to his normal accent before the people around us recovered
Does he have a different accent for every emotion and situation? That sounds like it would be good fun actually.

Maybe I need glasses.

DCL red overturned. The 3 PL refs who thought that was a red should serve the 3 game ban he would have done. Nothing will happen to them though, might get a week in the Championship at worst.
Why has it even taken this long? They’re fucking useless, totally incompetent and have the potential to screw someone big time.

DCL red overturned. The 3 PL refs who thought that was a red should serve the 3 game ban he would have done. Nothing will happen to them though, might get a week in the Championship at worst.
Some kind of system needs setting up at very least.

An obviously egregious error (like we've had multiple times this season) - a week off, and that means off, why should Coventry or Plymouth or Burton suffer your nonsense

Keep totting them up over a 2 year period and you lose your licence.

That would just encourage them not to bother intervening in the vast majority of cases.
That doesn't work, does it. As you'd punish them for doing nothing at Old Trafford when their goalkeeper simultaneously punched two of our players and no foul was given.

The best way to avoid being wrong on VAR duty is to just see if the decision looks obvious compared to real time and slow-mo. If the slow-mo reveals some doubt ask the ref to go and judge for himself on the monitor and have HIM make the decision to stick or change.

But that reviewing action has now been meant to mean the ref is obviously wrong, which has the stigma of the on field ref feeling he has to change the decision. That needs stamping out quickly by Webb in the language between the officials.

The best way to avoid being wrong on VAR duty is to just see if the decision looks obvious compared to real time and slow-mo. If the slow-mo reveals some doubt ask the ref to go and judge for himself on the monitor and have HIM make the decision to stick or change.

But that reviewing action has now been meant to mean the ref is obviously wrong, which has the stigma of the on field ref feeling he has to change the decision. That needs stamping out quickly by Webb in the language between the officials.
Or HER

How do you mean by linguist? Like a languages teacher?

I find it fascinating. I read politics but minored in sociology, I took a module on accents. The passion for the subject of the seminar leader was incredible.

Learnt everything from Norman invasions, Viking, Celt, Germanic and Latin influence on our language all the way to industrial revolution and its impact. The history geek inside me couldn't get enough of it.
He's a very cunning one, apparently...

Back