• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Fans Against VAR - Join us

If the officials think he's putting his opponent into a dangerous situation (is he completely in control of his body and does he know exactly where he'll be when he goes out? Also, is his knee locked or is it bent to allow flexibility) than he's guilty of a reckless tackle. There's no one answer, just a set of questions the officials consider each time to come up with the most appropriate response possible.
My original point was I don’t think it’s a red, personally. However I just don’t think it’s a ‘this shows VAR will never work’ moment. The laws (as you’ve just shown in your comment) are to vague and with everything slowed down, every microsecond in analysed.

More precise guidance in the rules needed when things looked at it slow mo for me

However I just don’t think it’s a ‘this shows VAR will never work’ moment.
Exactly. You could just as easily look at the red card Hull got at Sheff Wed the other night (ban now rescinded) when the score was 0-0, a patently awful decision that looked terrible in real time and even worse on replays, and Hull go on to lose a game they would have been targeting to win as they try to get a playoff spot and promotion and all that brings, and say "this shows not having VAR is unsustainable, awful decision, no chance to review it even though the technology clearly exists, changed the game and could contribute to a club missing out on hundreds of millions of pounds".

The issue, as it has been for decades now, is the officials are not of an adequate standard.

The problem VAR has created is the apparent need to try and go by the letter of the law. The onfield referee didn't initially deem it to be sufficient for a sending off. VAR then started forensically picking through it to try and prove it was a challenge that endangered the safety of an opponent.

The interpretation of the terms 'endanger' or 'reckless' is subjective and makes applying the rule to the letter nigh on impossible.

Exactly. You could just as easily look at the red card Hull got at Sheff Wed the other night (ban now rescinded) when the score was 0-0, a patently awful decision that looked terrible in real time and even worse on replays, and Hull go on to lose a game they would have been targeting to win as they try to get a playoff spot and promotion and all that brings, and say "this shows not having VAR is unsustainable, awful decision, no chance to review it even though the technology clearly exists, changed the game and could contribute to a club missing out on hundreds of millions of pounds".

The issue, as it has been for decades now, is the officials are not of an adequate standard.
I quite like what they do in pro Rugby League when the official is unsure, the incident is 'put on report'. The (offending) player remains on the pitch and the incident reviewed by a panel after the game. The panel then hand out punishment which may result in that player being banned for the next game or games.

The PGMOL are hoist by their own petard here.

Is the original on field decision a clear and obvious error? If not, VAR shouldn’t be getting involved. Of course the first question is utterly subjective in that his sort of case so VAR falls down.

Have another read when you wake up...
I've read it fine.

Incidentally, IFAB have an easy to use app, The Laws of the Game, which is a useful tool when discussing the laws.
As opposed to useless tools...

I've read it fine.

Incidentally, IFAB have an easy to use app, The Laws of the Game, which is a useful tool when discussing the laws.
As opposed to useless tools...
With respect, I gave you a possible reason/explanation as to where in the laws the straight leg studs up challenge may be interpreted - ie 'endangers the safety, etc'. I even added a question mark (?) so to indicate that. I never stated that the laws specifically mention straight leg, studs up, but rather it came under the 'endangers the safety, etc' catch all.

So you didn't read it fine.

The only tool that I can see is your good self.

You haven't understood clearly what's been said, I haven't understood clearly what's been said. Refs don't clearly understand the laws. What a fricking mess.

Id like to know what the smiling Palace player said to Calvert-Lewin before he was sent off.
Probably something like; 'I know Dom, it's s a f..... joke'

If you go back to the 1990s, I guarantee the standard or refereeing was similar to today. But decisions were not under the same microscope and it seemed less inexplicable when he didn't have another referee sitting in a van somewhere to double check.

Refereeing will never be seen as an "adequate standard" by extremely partizan football fans. They are searching for a standard which is impossible.

Footballers make mistakes. Referees make mistakes. We should grow up and deal with that rather than demanding a technology which is juxtaposed to the spirit of football.

I think that's too binary. What about a penalty where you want to see if a player got a touch on the ball?

I think that's too binary. What about a penalty where you want to see if a player got a touch on the ball?
If you have to slow it down to frame x frame slo-mo, it can't be a clear and obvious error?

If you go back to the 1990s, I guarantee the standard or refereeing was similar to today. But decisions were not under the same microscope and it seemed less inexplicable when he didn't have another referee sitting in a van somewhere to double check.

Refereeing will never be seen as an "adequate standard" by extremely partizan football fans. They are searching for a standard which is impossible.

Footballers make mistakes. Referees make mistakes. We should grow up and deal with that rather than demanding a technology which is juxtaposed to the spirit of football.
Whilst I agree with the premise that in the 1990s standards may well have been similar in officiating, we live in a totally different world now. Its constant. Social media, media in general etc. there is far more scrutiny on everything now, just because the access to everything is far greater in the 90s.

Also, the money is way more significant.

If there was a massive howler of a decision in the 90s, unless it was your team, or a televised game you probably wouldn’t hear about it. Now, you look at your phone, and it’s there.

Football has to adapt with the times. Whilst I agree VAR in its current guise leaves a lot the be desired, it also has its pluses, to. It needs developing, no doubt, and certain things don’t need to be relooked at like they are now.

Yes, footballers make mistakes, as do referees. They’re only human. Sadly, the referees get the brunt of it. No one seems to have mentioned Clyde rolling around like he did when the common consensus is he was just about touched. He doesn’t do that, then maybe it’s not even looked at

Harking back to the 90's is for flag shaggers and luddites.

The world has changed.

Back