• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Fans Against VAR - Join us

Speaking of throw it's, wtf happened to foul throws getting given to the opposite team, Ive seen loads every match the last few seasons and I can only recall one getting given, recently at Molineux.
There were two in one half the other day, think it was City v Spurs?

But yes, always a pet hate - particularly as if you ever watch any grass roots games the refs are very picky on it, yet at the top level they don't care.

And what happened about more than 1 or 2 players crowding around the ref shouting furiously? or rather 4 or 5 crowding round his unhappy face...

Sam Allison in charge of Sheff Utd vs Luton. Was on the books of Swindon, Bournemouth, Bristol City and Exeter (without playing a senior game) and went on to play for the likes of Bath, Salisbury and Chippenham in non-league so lets see if his playing experience at a decent level (fairly recent too, looks like he didn't finish playing until 2013) makes any difference now he's a ref.

It's not, it's to do with referees / VAR continually colouring by numbers without any real feel or understanding of the game. Catching someone on the bottom of the shin isn't in itself a red card offence without the referees interpretation that it's reckless

Last edited:
It's not, it's to do with referees / VAR continually colouring by numbers without any real feel or understanding of the game. Catching someone on the bottom of the shin isn't in itself a red card offence without the referees interpretation that it's reckless
The way I’ve interpreted it (and to clarify I’m not saying I agree with the decision) is within the confines of the ‘laws’ studs are up and off the floor so it could be seen within that scope to be a red.

Given 2 Everton fans I’ve spoken to this evening have said they can see why it’s a red, especially with VAR slowing everything down (which I disagree with) I wouldn’t say that is all on VAR.

These are the "confines of the 'laws'":

View attachment 9217

Not a red.
They’ve given the red based on the straight leg off the flaw.

I don’t disagree that I don’t think it’s a red, personally. Whether I can see why theyve given it or not, I’m just saying that it’s not just a VAR issue. Its deeper than that, and find it abit tiresome the go to being ‘it’s VARs fault, it’s shit’

Ultimately, VAR hasn’t given that, the referee has on second look, and in communication with the person watching has decided within the rules it warrants a red.

The rules need to be looked at IMV

They’ve given the red based on the straight leg off the floor.
Which is not part of the Laws (which I conveniently provided a screenshot of).

Straight leg off the floor does not automatically equal endangering the safety of an opponent.
It certainly didn't in this incident.

Nobody has stated that is the case. However, Calvert-Lewin did make contact with Clyne though...

I assume that was the reason it was looked at.

The way I’ve interpreted it (and to clarify I’m not saying I agree with the decision) is within the confines of the ‘laws’ studs are up and off the floor so it could be seen within that scope to be a red.

Given 2 Everton fans I’ve spoken to this evening have said they can see why it’s a red, especially with VAR slowing everything down (which I disagree with) I wouldn’t say that is all on VAR.
If the officials think he's putting his opponent into a dangerous situation (is he completely in control of his body and does he know exactly where he'll be when he goes out? Also, is his knee locked or is it bent to allow flexibility) than he's guilty of a reckless tackle. There's no one answer, just a set of questions the officials consider each time to come up with the most appropriate response possible.

Back