• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Ex-Wolf Watch

Sam Vokes has managed Wolves and Wycombe, there probably aren't many who have played for Wolves and Wycombe aside from him, let alone Bolton as well.

Quite a few who have played for Bolton and Wolves though, Matheson, Mark Davies, Henry, Rickets..

Guy Whittingham had a brief spell at Wycombe too in 2001.

Frank Talia if you want to delve into our early 2000s ranks of non-playing back up keepers.

Mike Williamson played for Wycombe for quite a while before he made the step up to Championship and Premier League.

Steve Claridge is normally a good shot in the dark for these...got a 2005 spell at Wycombe but nothing at Bolton.

Jermaine Easter is another that has Wolves (albeit 0 first team games) and Wycombe but not Bolton.

But after a bit of delving I've hit the jackpot.

Stand up (and miss the ball)....Andrew Michael Lonergan.

Wycombe 2005 (2 apps)
Bolton 2012-15 (51 apps)
Wolves 2016-17 (11 apps)

Guy Whittingham had a brief spell at Wycombe too in 2001.

Frank Talia if you want to delve into our early 2000s ranks of non-playing back up keepers.

Mike Williamson played for Wycombe for quite a while before he made the step up to Championship and Premier League.

Steve Claridge is normally a good shot in the dark for these...got a 2005 spell at Wycombe but nothing at Bolton.

Jermaine Easter is another that has Wolves (albeit 0 first team games) and Wycombe but not Bolton.

But after a bit of delving I've hit the jackpot.

Stand up (and miss the ball)....Andrew Michael Lonergan.

Wycombe 2005 (2 apps)
Bolton 2012-15 (51 apps)
Wolves 2016-17 (11 apps)
That's somehow very fitting that its Lonners - but I can't explain why I think that!

Great find!

Why does it feel like those 11 appearances were really 2 full seasons of watching him?
One of my most confusing Wolves moments involved Lonners.

Huddersfield at home at the fag end of the Lambert era. Playing against a shitty David Wagner team. Yuck. Don't say we never do the hard yards.

Anyway, in the pub beforehand, team comes out, Ikeme having one of his billion injuries a season so it's bloody Lonners again. Great. Turn up, we get a goal kick after a couple of minutes...keeper smacks it 60 yards downfield, straight as an arrow. What the FUCK is going on here.

Took a couple of minutes to twig that World Club Cup Winner Andy must also have got injured in the warm up (or couldn't be arsed, and I wouldn't blame him particularly) and it was Burgoyne in nets.

He did go on to do a good impression of the main man though as he fumbled a tame 30 yarder in for the only goal of the game. Rory Bremner-esque.

Pretty sure that was also the game where Lambert left Saiss out of the squad completely because "I know what Romain can do". And played Dave Edwards for the full 90 minutes.

Based on highlights I've seen nothing of him in a Fulham shirt to suggest he's a different player to the one who played for us last season. 2 goals against Uzbekistan isn't going to do a lot to change that view

Based on highlights I've seen nothing of him in a Fulham shirt to suggest he's a different player to the one who played for us last season. 2 goals against Uzbekistan isn't going to do a lot to change that view
Exactly. Same as the golden child scoring a couple against Belarus Under 21's doesn't mean he'll now come back and score a hatrick against Liverpool at the weekend.

Just for clarity my comment was not loaded with any suggestion he shouldn't have left. Simply updating on an ex-Wolf, coupled with being pleased to see him scoring goals for his country I guess. Be great if he could enjoy a late career renaissance at any level.

Just for clarity my comment was not loaded with any suggestion he shouldn't have left. Simply updating on an ex-Wolf, coupled with being pleased to see him scoring goals for his country I guess. Be great if he could enjoy a late career renaissance at any level.
I didn't think it was, Quirk's was though I think?

Lop wanted him to stay didn’t he?
Not so sure on that. A handy bomb to drop when doing an interview with his mate when highlighting to the fans the club were doing him over. At best it was a if we can't sign a replacement then he can stay (we moved for Che Adams while Lop was here)

Yep, US played the Uzbek’s just prior and they’re about as good as you’d guess.

Somehow Mexico conspired to draw!

I think Lop's stance was, if he wasn't able to sign players then he wanted to keep players (like Traore and Raul). Club disagreed obviously, but there's two parts to a squad refresh and they ignored the second part until Nunes went.

Back