• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Euro 2016 Qualifiers - The Road to France

Not really. Happy he scored the equaliser but doesn't make him any more Italian. It was his nationality in question not his ability

The whole discussion is pretty vile, though. "You're not Italian enough". Fuck off, nationality is a social construct anyway. If he feels Italian and is good enough to get the call then it's nobody else's fucking business as far as I'm concerned.

It's not a racist or a political issue, international football is meant to be about a country and people of that country representing it. Shall we have a transfer system whereby the richest nations can purchase the best players and in turn win the World Cup based on the prices they can afford or fees they pay?

No, but that's not what's being discussed, is it? What makes Eder un-Italian? Clearly he meets the standard as set by FIFA.

It may not be racist but it's dangerously close.

No, but that's not what's being discussed, is it? What makes Eder un-Italian? Clearly he meets the standard as set by FIFA.

It may not be racist but it's dangerously close.

Here we go again. It's not even close to racism. And in answer to the question of what makes him un-italian...

He wasn't born in Italy.
His parents had never even been to Italy, never mind been born there. His dad scored for Brazil in a world cup!
His grandparents weren't born in Italy.
He has a solitary Italian great grand parent, and has lived there for ten years. That's what makes him 'un-italian'.

Dangerously close to being racist my arse.

He's lived in Italy for quite some time, though. He's an Italian citizen, after all.

Say what you like but the rhetoric coming from some of Italy's big names recently leaves a very sour taste.

He's lived there for ten of his 28 years. He's not Italian! It's an absolute nonsense.

Ten years isn't long enough? Bollocks to that. The whole issue reeks.

The citizenship thing for representing a country is nonsense.

Reeks of what? Go on Alan, call me racist.

Why would I? You've done nothing wrong. But this idea that the Italian team isn't "Italian enough" is utterly ridiculous and entirely abstract.

What about the Qatari handball team? You ok with that? Are dissenters 'dangerously close to racism' there, as well?

The citizenship thing for representing a country is nonsense.

I agree to a point but if someone moves over as a kid say under the age of 10 then it's a bit different in my eyes. People who come over when they're 18 and 10 years laters (or however long) become eligible I don't really agree with.

Here we go again. It's not even close to racism. And in answer to the question of what makes him un-italian...

He wasn't born in Italy.
His parents had never even been to Italy, never mind been born there. His dad scored for Brazil in a world cup!
His grandparents weren't born in Italy.
He has a solitary Italian great grand parent, and has lived there for ten years. That's what makes him 'un-italian'.

Dangerously close to being racist my arse.

Totally agree with all of this

International football is what it is. Football teams representing a particular country and made up of players who belong to that country. To suggest it's racist not to want a Brazilian playing for Italy is ridiculous.

We already have the Champions League to see teams representing countries with, by and large, players from another country. International football is and should remain something different.

I agree to a point but if someone moves over as a kid say under the age of 10 then it's a bit different in my eyes. People who come over when they're 18 and 10 years laters (or however long) become eligible I don't really agree with.

Agree with this too.

There is a clear difference between Balotelli who despite being of obvious African origin, was born in Italy and has spent the majority of his life there and Amauri or Eder who aren't Italian at all but have chosen to live their adult lives there for professional or financial reasons.

Looking forward to Ireland v Poland later. An Ireland win would make that group a very exciting one!

Looking forward to Ireland v Poland later. An Ireland win would make that group a very exciting one!

I have a bad feeling about it. Poland are on form in the group and we've had some injury worries this week, I'm hoping it's all smoke and mirrors but I'm nervously awaiting the team news announcement

Poland are very useful, Milik is a cracking player. Should be a good game though.

They all seem t be taking points off of each other so far though. Milik, yes, fired me into the champions league with Wolves in my latest FM season... looking forward to watching him actually. ;)

Back