• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

there must be thousands of people sat there right now thinking "fuck, do I have to go to work tomorrow?"
how can he conceivably give people less than half a days notice?

It's pretty obvious what his grand plan was, we have a few days of wartime nostalgia (which he bloody loves), at the end of which he swoops in and becomes the nation's hero on a Sunday night, opening a load of stuff and returning us to a semblance of normality. What a ruddy guy, eh.

Unfortunately for him, viruses do not work like that, the data doesn't support what he wants and this isn't for once a situation where he gets to do whatever he likes.

So we get this empty void of nothing and muddying of the waters, more questions than answers, and now a nation where different constituent parts are doing different things. All because he had to have his big showbiz moment (rather than putting it through Parliament like someone normal would do, and Lindsay Hoyle has already bollocked him for this).

You're not Ant and you're certainly not Dec. Leave primetime TV to the experts, you try to run the country, after all it is your job.

It isn't so much "different constituent parts operating differently" as Scotland, Wales and N Ireland are all doing the same and it's only Boris that wants to operate separately... They all told him to sling his hook

Apparently it will be allowed to meet one person outside if more than 2m away
2b2ad913a3a02d00e415a8d4c7a9cecd.jpg

there must be thousands of people sat there right now thinking "fuck, do I have to go to work tomorrow?"
how can he conceivably give people less than half a days notice?

That was a pretty ridiculous move. As is doing 15 mins and then going to the HoC tomorrow before releasing a 50 page document with finer details in.

We have 3 days to prepare for a game of golf or trip to an English beach but a few hours to sort out a possible return to work.

Interested to read the finer details to see what places can return to work. Will people who have to visit other peoples homes be allowed as they can't work from home for instance

Have I missed something or when has swimming in rivers been encouraged?

How about hairdressers? Not in any of the proscribed categories. Can't work from home. But you can't practice social distancing (but nor can you in many factories or construction settings, yet they've been told to go back to work).

Dentists?

Estate agents?

I can't believe that they were flagging up this amazing speech nearly a week in advance and *that* is the best they could do. Fucking hell. Well I can believe it, but you know what I mean.

How about hairdressers? Not in any of the proscribed categories. Can't work from home. But you can't practice social distancing (but nor can you in many factories or construction settings, yet they've been told to go back to work).

Dentists?

Estate agents?

I can't believe that they were flagging up this amazing speech nearly a week in advance and *that* is the best they could do. Fucking hell. Well I can believe it, but you know what I mean.

To be fair he said detail will come out in parliament tomorrow. I’m not a Boris fan by any means, but it’s a tad unreasonable to expect him to go into the details of the policy during 15 minutes on Sunday evening TV.

To be fair he said detail will come out in parliament tomorrow. I’m not a Boris fan by any means, but it’s a tad unreasonable to expect him to go into the details of the policy during 15 minutes on Sunday evening TV.

It would have been nice to release the document at the same time though rather than wait a day. Nothing that happens in the HoC tommorow will change what has been put in them, so do talk, release docs and let people try to understand them.

Well he shouldn't be announcing policy on Sunday evening TV either, so he can't have that one. Plus the briefings all week have been "wait until Sunday". There was still nothing of any substance there. Another wasted week.

Actually I might just start employing some mates and saying they have to come round here to work. Apparently that's ok.

It would have been nice to release the document at the same time though rather than wait a day. Nothing that happens in the HoC tommorow will change what has been put in them, so do talk, release docs and let people try to understand them.

Absolutely.

Dentists?

Estate agents?

Distancing has been watered down on construction sites for weeks already.

First had people from the same residence allowed to work together, then had short intervals (circa 15mins) allowed to work in close proximity and now got people being allowed to work and travel together as long as they stay in the same groups consistently. Biggest problems on construction sites at the moment are the welfare facilities, impossible to avoid bottlenecks there without some massively over the top, by normal standards, measures.

Supply chain issues have been the bigger problem in my experience so far, loads of subcontractors and their suppliers just shut up shop without thinking when lockdown was first announced then had to try and get themselves back into gear once they realised majority of sites were still open and expecting them to turn up. Had a few we're dealing with where they're almost cutting their nose off to spite their face by keeping people on furlough when they could be working because they want to claim the government money so have to keep them off for 3 weeks rather than shoulder the cost of the 1 week or less that they hastily shelved them for.

Distancing has been watered down on construction sites for weeks already.

First had people from the same residence allowed to work together, then had short intervals (circa 15mins) allowed to work in close proximity and now got people being allowed to work and travel together as long as they stay in the same groups consistently. Biggest problems on construction sites at the moment are the welfare facilities, impossible to avoid bottlenecks there without some massively over the top, by normal standards, measures.

Supply chain issues have been the bigger problem in my experience so far, loads of subcontractors and their suppliers just shut up shop without thinking when lockdown was first announced then had to try and get themselves back into gear once they realised majority of sites were still open and expecting them to turn up. Had a few we're dealing with where they're almost cutting their nose off to spite their face by keeping people on furlough when they could be working because they want to claim the government money so have to keep them off for 3 weeks rather than shoulder the cost of the 1 week or less that they hastily shelved them for.

Some employers make me sick. Putting the welfare of their workforce before profit is disgusting. If they're not prepared to sacrifice a few workers lives they shouldn't be in business. Wonder what their excuse will be now that we're almost out of the second highest level of risk on the crisis scale? Bet they'll say it's because most sane people wouldn't voluntarily want to work anywhere that couldn't offer any kind of assurance they wouldn't be forced to accept working conditions that could put theirs and their families lives at risk. Arseholes.

Maybe they should consult the warehouses, supermarkets and whatever other ' essential ' industry/service has continued. It's quite scary how so many people don't seem to be able to think for themselves as to what constitutes ' keeping themselves as safe as possible ' although it does smack of Johnson passing the buck to businesses to deal with - after all the furlough cannot exist until a vaccination is found. This is the new world and it'll take some getting used to. Especially when the government remove the drip and those jobs start disappearing.

Some employers make me sick. Putting the welfare of their workforce before profit is disgusting. If they're not prepared to sacrifice a few workers lives they shouldn't be in business. Wonder what their excuse will be now that we're almost out of the second highest level of risk on the crisis scale? Bet they'll say it's because most sane people wouldn't voluntarily want to work anywhere that couldn't offer any kind of assurance they wouldn't be forced to accept working conditions that could put theirs and their families lives at risk. Arseholes.

Trouble is a new smarter way of working may mean surplus staff, job losses and worst case scenario businesses closing. I suspect furlough is in place until the end of June but business should already have been making contingencies for this eventuality - they were just waiting for the green light. They said from the beginning it was all about not overwhelming the NHS so it suggests that envisage a second wave which if it happens during the flu season will be a nightmare, especially if the flu vaccine is only 30% viable like it was in 2015 when 28k extra people died. For me the game changer would have been the antibody test that seems non-existent.

Their whole approach to this has been a shitty halfway house from the moment they realised their herd immunity strategy was next level insane.

It would appear that the government have put Piers Morgan on the naughty step next to Channel 4 and will refuse to do any interviews. Pathetic.

Back