• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

So far the in the uk only hospital deaths are in the figures and they would have been tested.

Because someone's tested positive for Covid it doesn't necesserally mean that is what they died from.
Presumably that is why they keep stating 'underlying conditions'.

Italy 1 in 7
France 1 in 6
Spain 1 in 10
Germany 1 in 25

That suggests that Germany is the outlier compared to much of western Europe. It's not that there are fewer cases in Germany, just that they are less likely to be fatal - or in reality that Germany is in line with the rest of the world and it is UK/Spain/Italy/France where the death rate is far too high.

Not at all. As mentioned above, if you are only testing people who make it to hospital (so are already quite ill) then they are more likely to die. If you can test much more widely in the community then you will test people with less severe symptoms who, though positive, are less likely to die.

It’s just another stat showing up how woefully prepare we were.

Because someone's tested positive for Covid it doesn't necesserally mean that is what they died from.
Presumably that is why they keep stating 'underlying conditions'.
That's the same in every country. If Covid is present it's classed as a Covid death including Germany

We wont know until it is 'over' how accurate the cause of death recording has been. An average of other fatal illnesses over previous years (5 I think) will be compared to the what has been recorded for the same illnesses during the time that Covid deaths were being recorded.
Might be revealing.

The most tests and the most people tested today but a drop in positive cases.

That's a good thing

Numbers in hospital and ICU dropping too which I don't fully understand given the amount of new positive cases has been increasing by 4-6k daily for the last few weeks

Wouldn't that reduce the infection rate more than the death rate?

If they know someone has got it, trace near contacts who have it but don’t require to go to hospital then then infection number is higher.

In the uk if you are a contact of someone who has it you are told to isolate and stay at home. You aren’t tested. That’s why the infection to death rate looks worse in the uk. Germany knows contacts who have had it and they are in the figures. We don’t know and they’re not.

That's a good thing

Numbers in hospital and ICU dropping too which I don't fully understand given the amount of new positive cases has been increasing by 4-6k daily for the last few weeks

ICU.jpg

Hospitals in London doubling ICU capacity, Nightingale hospitals opening....... There are lies, damned lies, and then there are statistics......

View attachment 2755

Hospitals in London doubling ICU capacity, Nightingale hospitals opening....... There are lies, damned lies, and then there are statistics......

I don't understand, the number of people in hospital with covid19 is expressed as a figure not a percentage and that figure is decreasing

That's a good thing

I don't understand, the number of people in hospital with covid19 is expressed as a figure not a percentage and that figure is decreasing

It probably reflects the greater numbers of testing in the community, drive throughs etc.

It probably reflects the greater numbers of testing in the community, drive throughs etc.

There's more people being tested but it's still roughly the same amount of new cases each day which is 4-6k

What I don't get is why the numbers in hospital are reducing. If we'd seen reductions in new cases that would make sense but we haven't

"NI and Wales national statistics may not be comparable as they are calculated differently."

Any idea what the difference is?

There's more people being tested but it's still roughly the same amount of new cases each day which is 4-6k

What I don't get is why the numbers in hospital are reducing. If we'd seen reductions in new cases that would make sense but we haven't

Because we are testing people who are ‘less sick’ than we have before - these are people who previously have just isolated at home for 2 weeks but weren’t tested. It’s why Germany’s positive figures are so high, but hospitalisation and death rates comparatively low.

Because we are testing people who are ‘less sick’ than we have before - these are people who previously have just isolated at home for 2 weeks but weren’t tested. It’s why Germany’s positive figures are so high, but hospitalisation and death rates comparatively low.

That makes sense, less seriously sick people are being tested and more of the 'sniffly' people are.

Apologies - I don't mean to sound stupid but I'm still missing something here. The overall infection rate varies from country to country, but the death rate within each country varies much much more. The US and UK have fairly similar infection rates, the US does not have contact tracing but the death rate is still significantly lower. Intuition would suggest that all western societies would have lower death rates than the global average, but most of western Europe has a much higher rate.

Apologies - I don't mean to sound stupid but I'm still missing something here. The overall infection rate varies from country to country, but the death rate within each country varies much much more. The US and UK have fairly similar infection rates, the US does not have contact tracing but the death rate is still significantly lower. Intuition would suggest that all western societies would have lower death rates than the global average, but most of western Europe has a much higher rate.

Politics doesn't respect the dead.

I’m not sure how testing works in the States but in the uk for the last 5 weeks you could only get a test if you were admitted to hospital. If in the states you can be tested without admission that may explain the differences.

Larger proportion of the population in those countries living longer and thus becoming more vulnerable to these sort of diseases bumping up the mortality rate perhaps?

40k will never die! The Emperor Protects, after all.

#nerdjokes

‘‘The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.” Charles Bukowski

‘‘The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.” Charles Bukowski

Never been inside a Games Workshop, then?

Back