• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

Which sort of explains why the theory of ' herd immunity ' was initially mooted. In the days before hindsight was a beautiful thing.

You're morally bankrupt. I'm not getting into a row with you if you're fishing for one, which it looks very much like you are.

I'll stand by every word I've ever said in this thread, you're going to have to as well. Hope you'll be able to have the same clean conscience I do.

ONS report out today makes for exceedingly grim reading.

I would imagine that a large % of those attending Cheltenham are from outside of the area. Figures for Lancashire look high so is it possible that a large amount from the wider Lancashire area attended the game?

I agree that an investigation is probably not required given the spread of the disease anyway.

Quite. Makes the correlation even more spurious.

Figures based on authority and not city but non the less a good point very well made.

Is the figure for Gloucester or Gloucestershire? 128k population versus 650k for the county would make a big difference

Well that's a bit silly, people travel from all over the UK and Ireland to visit Cheltenham.

Do YOU think Cheltenham should have taken place? Do YOU think people from a heavily infected Madrid should have been able to travel through our airports and to the Liverpool game?

In hindsight no but given the seriousness of the virus and it's consequences I do not feel it is the time to for political pointscoring.

Our weekly deaths data show that

- of all deaths in England and Wales that occurred up to 10 April (registered up to 18 April), 13,121 involved COVID-19

- Comparatively @DHSCgovuk figures show that 9,288 deaths occurred by 10 April https://t.co/g3G5KGuOel #COVID19 #coronavirus https://t.co/0tu6lP9WyT

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and the Cheltenham argument gets thrown around easily. 3 days before Cheltenham started we had 30k+ at Molineux, I dont know anyone who skipped that game over coronavirus fears. Many of us would have been going out to watch the West Ham game after Cheltenham if Arteta hadn't fallen ill.

The hindsight argument is bollocks, people were questioning it quite vociferously at the time.

People were going to games and Cheltenham because the government guidance was that it was safe to attend.

You're morally bankrupt. I'm not getting into a row with you if you're fishing for one, which it looks very much like you are.

I'll stand by every word I've ever said in this thread, you're going to have to as well. Hope you'll be able to have the same clean conscience I do.

I'm morally bankrupt for pointing out a change of shopping habits was far more likely to exacerbate the spread of the virus than a football game or a horse racing festival ? I hope you never meet Henry Kissenger.

In hindsight no but given the seriousness of the virus and it's consequences I do not feel it is the time to for political pointscoring.

Oh the old "it's not time for political point scoring line".

This is a message board, what we say on here has no effect on anything, so I see no reason to try and shut down debate with that line? Unless people are so invested in the government that they don't like their strategy being questioned?

Our weekly deaths data show that

- of all deaths in England and Wales that occurred up to 10 April (registered up to 18 April), 13,121 involved COVID-19

- Comparatively @DHSCgovuk figures show that 9,288 deaths occurred by 10 April https://t.co/g3G5KGuOel #COVID19 #coronavirus https://t.co/0tu6lP9WyT

I've looked at those figures Del. Is the discrepancy partly down to the lag in the reporting of deaths and the rest (20%) the deaths in the community?

Oh the old "it's not time for political point scoring line".

This is a message board, what we say on here has no effect on anything, so I see no reason to try and shut down debate with that line? Unless people are so invested in the government that they don't like their strategy being questioned?

Political point scoring does not shout down debate it merely conflates it. As such there should be an investigation intn media scaremongering that resulted in toilet roll hoarding and supermarket obsessives.

It shuts down debate when you come out with that line as a way of defending the government rather than debating as to why they may have taken the decisions they did.

It wasn't media scaremongering that resulted in toilet roll hoarding though was it?

It was the myth that all of our toilet roll comes in from China and that led to a minority that believed that buying shed loads of it, then others saw that minority hoarding it and thought "fuck why are they hoarding all the bog roll!? They know something we don't" so they hoarded it too, then obviously you ended up with supply being outstripped by demand.

Then people share pictures of empty shelves on social media and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Not sure how that was the media's fault at all? And certainly not one that warrants an investigation?

Which sort of explains why the theory of ' herd immunity ' was initially mooted. In the days before hindsight was a beautiful thing.
You're morally bankrupt. I'm not getting into a row with you if you're fishing for one, which it looks very much like you are. I'll stand by every word I've ever said in this thread, you're going to have to as well. Hope you'll be able to have the same clean conscience I do.
I'm morally bankrupt for pointing out a change of shopping habits was far more likely to exacerbate the spread of the virus than a football game or a horse racing festival ? I hope you never meet Henry Kissenger.

Shopping.

I've looked at those figures Del. Is the discrepancy partly down to the lag in the reporting of deaths and the rest (20%) the deaths in the community?

Yeah, exactly that. And it looks as though the discrepancy percentage will increase further too, as that week ended on good Friday, and only deaths that were recorded before the 18th were counted.

8000 'excess deaths' in that week (I.e. Deaths over and above the 5 year average for the week)

It shuts down debate when you come out with that line as a way of defending the government rather than debating as to why they may have taken the decisions they did.

It wasn't media scaremongering that resulted in toilet roll hoarding though was it?

It was the myth that all of our toilet roll comes in from China and that led to a minority that believed that buying shed loads of it, then others saw that minority hoarding it and thought "fuck why are they hoarding all the bog roll!? They know something we don't" so they hoarded it too, then obviously you ended up with supply being outstripped by demand.

Then people share pictures of empty shelves on social media and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Not sure how that was the media's fault at all? And certainly not one that warrants an investigation?

So are you saying the myth that toilet roll comes from China caused the panic buying ?

I'm just not sure that a football game or a horse festival should be highlighted. When did flights from Italy/Spain cease coming into the UK?

So are you saying the myth that toilet roll comes from China caused the panic buying ?

I'm just not sure that a football game or a horse festival should be highlighted. When did flights from Italy/Spain cease coming into the UK?

Yes i am. Where as you are saying it was the media, and that there should be an inquiry into it, can you find an article that is telling people to buy 50 rolls of bog roll?

The UK haven't officially banned flights from anywhere have they?

Back