• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

Not enough words, can't repay the debt, from an immensely wealthy couple consisting of an incredibly verbose ex journalist politician and former head of communications for the Conservative Party headquarters. Are they not just admitting they can't do their jobs?

Apologies on the fake news front, thought the source appeared credible. Pah.

It always does, I've been caught out myself, it happens. I'm only surprised there aren't more doing the rounds. There was a vid doing the rounds a while ago of a women going shopping and to protect herself from coronavirus, she was in a Zorb. The video was ages old . If its a pic, right click it in Chrome, theres a pic search feature on that menu called Search Google for Image that will go away and find all copies and similar pics online, and pop it up for you, which is what I took a screenshot of.

No worries weasel.

It may be yesterday's news but I hope that the government drops the stance that the healthcare workers who have died from the disease could have caught it anywhere. Technically true yes, but just say that they were heroes for tackling the virus on the front line. The likelihood is that they caught it in hospital but who cares.

"On March 2, the United States reached 100 confirmed cases of COVID-19. Three weeks later, the country had 34,000 cases, over 400 deaths, and was rocketing toward a massive, uncontrolled epidemic that has, so far, taken the lives of over 16,000 Americans. But three weeks after New Zealand hit 100 cases of COVID-19, there are only 1,200 cases and just one single death attributed to the disease. More than that, New Zealand has already turned its very short curve, with a steady decrease in cases over the last week.

This isn’t simply a matter of population. With far less than 1% of residents infected, the novel coronavirus isn’t close to reaching its limits anywhere, and nations of a similar size have thousands more cases and hundreds of more deaths. It’s not even a factor of density, with nearly half of New Zealand’s population found in a single city. The difference is one of resolve, insight, and competence. The difference is leadership."

https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2020/4/10/1936089/-This-is-what-a-really-good-job-and-real-leadership-looks-like

Okey dokey. But...... New Zealand is in the end of summer and we know the virus survives for a significantly short period at 27 degrees or higher. A factor?

Okey dokey. But...... New Zealand is in the end of summer and we know the virus survives for a significantly short period at 27 degrees or higher. A factor?

Certainly less of an impact than the approach taken

To be fair both Birmingham and London have population densities 2.5 times and 4 times higher than Auckland's which also helps NZ contain the virus

It makes it easier for them to contain the virus if their population is less dense, that's all I'm saying

I'm not saying it's the only reason, I'm saying it's a helpful factor

Conversely Wolverhampton is one of the most dense (lol) populations in England and has suffered significantly from covid19 which, given all of England has been following the same guidelines, leads me to think population density is a factor in determining how hard or not an area gets hit.

Again, to be clear, I'm not saying population density is the only factor here, just that it plays a role, as many factors do. I'm not arguing with you or disputing what you're saying, I'm adding to the debate an observation which I think is relevant. I'm not saying you're wrong.

The approach from the head honchos massively plays a role, you combine that with other helpful factors and you get good results.

yeah, that all helped, its a very wide open place, even in large cities and towns, I spent NYE 1999 in Gisbourne and the worlds press descended on it, first light and all that. My mates were saying ' It's feckin crowded Rui, eh? as we walked down the main street and and there was at least 6 inches separating each of us from the next. Cannock town centre's more crowded on a saturday afternoon

I've read a few of these and believe a few things are happening.

Firstly, no one is getting reinfected - they didn't fully recover in the first place. I.e. the virus is still hanging around
Second - we know the tests aren't 100% accurate, I think it's more like 70% so as the virus weakens bad test results become more prevalent
Thirdly - I think I had it, and you'd have days when you'd start to feel better and then bam, you'd be out of action again before recovering and then getting hit a few days later again

I think if this was happening we'd know, medical staff are exposed to covid19 and they'd be the prime candidates for reinfection given how exposed they are.

But let's see, it needs answering one way or another

ignore the source, but if this is true, I'd advise everyone to be very careful what news sources they choose to read over the next week at least for the sake of their own mental health

no MP sto talk to media.jpg

I've read a few of these and believe a few things are happening.

Firstly, no one is getting reinfected - they didn't fully recover in the first place. I.e. the virus is still hanging around
Second - we know the tests aren't 100% accurate, I think it's more like 70% so as the virus weakens bad test results become more prevalent
Thirdly - I think I had it, and you'd have days when you'd start to feel better and then bam, you'd be out of action again before recovering and then getting hit a few days later again

I think if this was happening we'd know, medical staff are exposed to covid19 and they'd be the prime candidates for reinfection given how exposed they are.

But let's see, it needs answering one way or another

Viral load is a huge factor which is why they're seeing a lot of frontline staff suffering more than those with low exposure.

There is also a factor of ethnicity coming into play and nobody is quite sure why.

An old (8 days!) paper about lockdown cycles required to achieve immunity. I haven't read it yet but thought it might be interesting

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw0BxLhGhL1TeweKrEsAh4JA&cshid=1586727440061

THe whole situation is just making me more and more uncomfortable. Too much uncertainty, not enough transparency, now MP's refusing to go on TV, channel 4 couldnt get one Govt rep on their news show today appara, and wont accept requests for interviews tomorrow.

Theres a scene in Guide For The Married man , where I think its Mathau gets caught in bed with his gf naked by his wife and while shes going off on one, they both calmly get up and get dressed, as if nothings happening, until he's left alone with his Mrs and he carries on as if nothings happened, until his puzzled wife thinks that she didn't see him in be with his gf in the first place, and this feels like that.

Truth is in very short supply at the moment, denials are in abundance as are refusals to answer any straight questions, which never leads to a happy place

Back