• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

Do you think it's correct to issue predictions like that, you've got scientists on one side and statisticians on the other, at the end of the day I'd like my fate decided by the former please

Statisticians are scientists..

..and predictive models using statistics are used by governments as an aide in determining (and justifying) policy all the time.

What was the saying," there are lies, damn lies and statistics " :)

Usually used by people to justify stupid decisions.

Statistics is the art of never having to say you’re wrong.

Dont get me started on Sex Pistols or Punk in general
It's probably not the right thread to debate it, but the original Pistols weren't actually that bad a band far better than most people give them credit for, once Steve Jones learned to play guitar. He has frequently said he didn't play a note on NMTB and its all Chris Spedding, ex Womble and that he couldn't even say what Studio it was recorded in. Spedding has always said he's lying and it's all Steve Jones. His rhythm playing is spot on and combined with Paul Cook's econometric drumming youve got the heart of a powerful driving sound. Glenn Matlock wrote great songs and Mr Lydon whilst not being Meatloaf makes up for it with passion and power. They're marmite to most people, I don't know many that think they're just OK, you either love e'm or you hate 'em.

I've seen bands with better reputations as musicians put in much worse shows than that one last year.

What was the saying," there are lies, damn lies and statistics " :)

That times graph suggests there is some economy of truth at the moment in official figures.

Chris Whitty is very keen to play a lot of things down that are being said in some quarters and the only one I see being wheeled out to talk to the masses with a Global reputation to protect. Unlike Patrick Valance I don;t think he's ever worked in Industry, he's not beholden to anyone and always says if he doesn't agree with or believes the message going out needs tempering

You a statisician then?

Paul's not exactly wrong. You can almost pretty much make most numbers say what you want if you pick the right ones, which is why, in science, full disclosure of data and peer review is so important

3000 deaths a day is just insane. It's like 9/11 on loop, only the attacker is invisible.

Just find it unfathomable.

3000 deaths a day is just insane. It's like 9/11 on loop, only the attacker is invisible.

Just find it unfathomable.

I struggle getting my head around 5/6/800 deaths a day so 3000 will be the stuff of nightmares

Two things we dont know

1) how infectious this virus is
2) how deadly this virus is

I have sympathy for the modellers when these two values potentially vary so much

It's why Chris Whitty has been so keen to urge caution whenever he can, everything has always been a series of if's

If it's X contagious, if its Y deadly, if Z is true, If A happens, if B doesn't and why there is such a huge variance in numbers produced by the models

So the planned monday lockdown announcement is suspended but....

"However, ministers have suggested they are keen for schools to reopen after Easter if the situation does stabilise, with claims they have little impact on the spread and could help revive the crippled economy"

how does kids being at school but parents being told to stat at home help the crippled economy?

So the planned monday lockdown announcement is suspended but....

"However, ministers have suggested they are keen for schools to reopen after Easter if the situation does stabilise, with claims they have little impact on the spread and could help revive the crippled economy"

how does kids being at school but parents being told to stat at home help the crippled economy?

Won't do anything for the economy but may save the mental health of millions

it is worrying that with Boris out of action, there seems to be no one in actual charge. As much as I would rather have a carrot in charge, shouldn't Raab be the actual PM now and as such making the calls?

Ferguson let the cat out of the bag when he said that a a scientist, he wasn't the only one being heard and that there were also economic opinions being listened to. Led by the science my bottom

Back