• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

Collateral damage, sorry, certainly not intended to cast any aspersions on you !

No probs at all, though I did post that in a bad mood and with the caveat that I have been trying to be hopeful on the government.

The truth is yours was the first post I could copy and paste without losing my place with replying to Paddy :)

100k tests a day, inside four weeks? Seems stupidly ambitious. Along the same lines as the fat prick talking about "12 weeks" not so long ago.

Never overpromise and underdeliver.

Getting 100k tests a day done will be easy if they have the tests. I think getting 100k results a day would be a lot harder.

100k tests a day, inside four weeks? Seems stupidly ambitious. Along the same lines as the fat prick talking about "12 weeks" not so long ago.

Never overpromise and underdeliver.

Maybe he said "100k tests to date" inside four weeks....

I hope they can achieve it, I really do as we'll have a much better idea of what's actually going on in society.

I do feel though we're moving towards antibody tests becoming equally if not more important, knowing who is infected at any one time is useful but limited value. Knowing who has had it and has the antibodies / immunity will really help start moving us back towards normality*

*The "we don't know we build up immunity argument" seems flawed to me, there haven't been anything other than trace reports of people getting it more than once and even then it's been a few weeks after being infected. There are have been no confirmed reports, as far as I can tell, of anyone getting this more than once. There will be people who get it twice though, as there are with other viruses where some peoples immune systems, for whatever reason, are not capable of creating the necessary immunity.

Went to Sainsbury's Wolves this morning. Took 30 minutes to get in but the shopping experience was sublime, besides wearing a face mask.

If it transcends political tropes why are people having a pop at a government saying they should've been more prepared when nobody else on the planet was?

thats the bit I find interesting - no one else seems to have been much more proactive. A couple have been faster then us in reacting, a fair few have been much worse.

No one could argue this has been exemplary - I also don’t see how people can argue it’s a complete shit show. Every country in the world has been caught out and is trying to stabilise the situation, before trying to move to a longer term solution.

People throwing their dollies out of their prams would be doing so, regardless of the situation.

Whatever makes them happy I guess.

I think I agree.

There have been mis-steps, as I said in my post above. A couple can definitely be challenged like the lost e-mail lie. However most are honest mis steps being made by people having to react to a rapidly changing situation.

The biggest mis step of them all now looks like the delayed move away from the herd immunity idea. BUT that was based on sound scientific advice at the time and until the Imperial College predictions turned to end of days it wasn't a silly thing to pursue. Sadly that has put us a bit behind.

For me the ones to watch out for are Sweden. STILL avoiding any social distancing measures while having full sight of all the evidence from the rest of Europe and the States. That's a worry. I have to avoid including Belarus as their policy is being driven by what looks like an utter lunatic.

Our ‘local’ hospital has to do this: https://www.scrubsforstoke.co.uk/ and people genuinely think the government is doing the best it could?

I say ‘local’ but its flipping miles away, our actual local hospital isn’t allowed to actually be a hospital anymore and is a pseudo old people’s home.

Genuine question big man. If you or one of your family gets ill, where do you go?

I mean it's not next door but I could get whisked to New Cross fairly swiftly. You seem to have nowt.

I think I agree.

There have been mis-steps, as I said in my post above. A couple can definitely be challenged like the lost e-mail lie. However most are honest mis steps being made by people having to react to a rapidly changing situation.

The biggest mis step of them all now looks like the delayed move away from the herd immunity idea. BUT that was based on sound scientific advice at the time and until the Imperial College predictions turned to end of days it wasn't a silly thing to pursue. Sadly that has put us a bit behind.

For me the ones to watch out for are Sweden. STILL avoiding any social distancing measures while having full sight of all the evidence from the rest of Europe and the States. That's a worry. I have to avoid including Belarus as their policy is being driven by what looks like an utter lunatic.

..but even then Paddy there were scientists (was it Prof Ashton?) was immediately scathing of the policy. Then there were all of the scientists writing a letter to the Times (?) who asked for the data to be released as they didn't believe that herd immunity was the right path. Them and the rest of scientists around the world! I agree that the Government have almost a thankless task in being prepared for this but questions can still be asked.

I think I agree.

This isn't the case though. The UK was an outlier at the time, it attracted significant criticism - both from experts in other countries, and from experts based in the UK - and the mistake was so bad that the government has repeatedly tried not just to downplay the U-turn but actively pretend that it wasn't even the strategy in the first place. Going by the current rates of deaths and cases, it's already looking like a significant number of people are going to die or be left seriously ill unnecessarily.

Why it was the initial plan is still unclear. I don't buy that it's all down to some single bad actor (aka the "Dominic Cummings/Boris Johnson wants poor people to die" theory) - sure, it could be some evil plot to unleash an illness that's particularly dangerous for the core Conservative voter (genius?!), but more likely is it's some combination of bad advice and bad response to that advice. We likely won't know until this whole crisis is behind us, but unfortunately until then we're stuck with what we've got.

Trump up next on ITV, should be interesting.

Back