• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Chelsea 2 - 0 Wolves: The Verdict

Our fans very much are entitled, though I personally haven't previously called you or anyone that on this thread.

I do think it's bizarre that people are starting to question key squad members and indeed our entire style of play when we've just finished 7th for the second year in a row.

Oh and we can beat anyone, you have to be realistic though. If you'd been offered that points return at the restart I suggest you'd have taken it.

Oh, don't get me wrong - I agree with a lot of what you and YW have said. I'm just providing some balance! There does seem to be a massive divide between people on the matchday threads which is pretty tedious for those of us with opinion's somewhere in the middle when the thread is just a massive back and forth.

So let's get this straight because I am confused
You
YW
DW

All agree with me?
Me. Some points yes, others no but as you have edited in you are a bad loser so maybe the other stuff you are going to be overly critical than myself.

I doubt you will find one person on here that will say "you know what, the squad we have right now is perfect and it would be wrong to add more players or improve it" but you comment on upgrades as if that's what all fans are saying and you have found the answer to put us in the top 4.

Personally, I think it’s been a really good season - more points in the league, 7th and the run in Europe is excellent, I’d have taken that comfortably at the start of the season.

I also completely agree with the comments above that it’s disapointing not to finish 6th given the position we had put ourselves in, but I do think we’ve some disproportionately bad luck/bad decisions/bad VAR which have had quite an impact on us.

I think our ability to switch between 3-4-3 and 3-5-2 shows that Nuno clearly does have a plan B. Personally, I think we’re a player short in the 3-5-2 as Donk doesn’t have the technical ability to play the “breaking beyond the forwards” role, but he’s been really good recently in centre mid in a 3-4-3.

I’m expecting a new and classy centre back upgrade, and hoping for that 3-5-2 midfielder upgrade, and wishing for a RWB upgrade and a good sub for Raul, because then I think we’d be in an even better position to keep improving next year.

It’s been a really good season - but it will prove to be an excellent one if Chelsea win the cup or we win the Europa.

Personally, I think it’s been a really good season - more points in the league, 7th and the run in Europe is excellent, I’d have taken that comfortably at the start of the season.

I also completely agree with the comments above that it’s disapointing not to finish 6th given the position we had put ourselves in, but I do think we’ve some disproportionately bad luck/bad decisions/bad VAR which have had quite an impact on us.

I think our ability to switch between 3-4-3 and 3-5-2 shows that Nuno clearly does have a plan B. Personally, I think we’re a player short in the 3-5-2 as Donk doesn’t have the technical ability to play the “breaking beyond the forwards” role, but he’s been really good recently in centre mid in a 3-4-3.

I’m expecting a new and classy centre back upgrade, and hoping for that 3-5-2 midfielder upgrade, and wishing for a RWB upgrade and a good sub for Raul, because then I think we’d be in an even better position to keep improving next year.

It’s been a really good season - but it will prove to be an excellent one if Chelsea win the cup or we win the Europa.

That perfectly sums up my thoughts too. I do think we will lose either Raul or Traore (probably the latter), which might cause us a problem or 2.

It's interesting that this thread has descended into an end of season review!

Am I disappointed in the game yesterday? Yes, we didn't lay a glove on Chelsea and conceded one appalling goal (plus a shocking referee decision).

Am I disappointed we didn't finish 6th? A little, but only because we had a chance and didn't perform well yesterday.

Am I disappointed in the team and Nuno? Absolutely not, 7th is a really good finish and we are still in the Europa League!

Am I disappointed in the game yesterday? Yes, we didn't lay a glove on Chelsea and conceded one appalling goal (plus a shocking referee decision).

Am I disappointed we didn't finish 6th? A little, but only because we had a chance and didn't perform well yesterday.

Am I disappointed in the team and Nuno? Absolutely not, 7th is a really good finish and we are still in the Europa League!

Think this is a good summary and where most folks views are

The problem we have is the little flirt we’ve had with the top 4 will push some expectations to an unrealistic level. Some really don’t realise the level you need to be at to get top 4. Coming 7th and going deep into cups our realistic level wanting to push further is a good thing but some realisation has to come into it.

On the "missed opportunity" (bear in mind we haven't actually lost anything yet):

Spurs played:

Man Utd
West Ham
Sheff Utd
Everton
Bournemouth
Arsenal
Newcastle
Leicester
Palace

6 out of 9 the same as us. United/Chelsea, CL teams so like for like. We had Villa and Burnley to their Newcastle (nothing to play for) and Leicester (torpedoing form, only Bournemouth, Watford, Palace and Norwich were worse).

I'd say they had the easier run. They got 2 more points than us. And they have a man up front who'll probably be England's record goalscorer one day.

That perfectly sums up my thoughts too. I do think we will lose either Raul or Traore (probably the latter), which might cause us a problem or 2.

Yeah thats about where I am, although I'm in the 'hope to get some signings' camp rather than the 'expect'.
Not sure if we'll lose any of the key players, wonder if the fact we are minted and don't need transfer money and our valuations of Raul, Traore will put clubs off

Kept off here after the game as could see the way the discussion was going, but this mirrors my thoughts. It's been a weird season due to the virus situation & if it had finished in normal time then doubt that Spurs would have been able to compete as well as they have. As said earlier Son & Kane would not have been there for the last 8 games which would have impacted.

VAR & the rule changes have affected everyone, but some more than others. Have sen some analysis that we were detrimently affected the most (though final scores in games can't always be read into that).

Predicted 6th at the season start & we were not far off achieving it (there is a tinge of disappoitment as Aiki said we had the chance). Still in the Europa, and gone further than I expected us to be able to in the first year so this is still a bloody succesful season.

We do want more as that's human nature, but reality is that the nearer the pinnacle you get then the steeper the climb.

The way I look at it, for most of my life supporting Wolves we've been around the 27th best side in the country...hovering around the Champ/Div2 playoff places and often just missing out right at the death. Mick turned us into the 17th best side in the country for a while, and whilst that felt like real genuine progress we were just making up the numbers when you look back at it. Then we had our fall from grace and rebuild under Kenny, before along comes Nuno who's turned us into the 7th best side in the land. You have to be happy with that. Not content to sit still, and always wanting to make further progress, but where we are now is brilliant. I've been to Braga and Barcelona this year watching my team compete in Europe...never thought I'd see the day. And I genuinely believe we will continue building on these foundations and will improve year on year. Truly hope Chelsea win the FA cup though...

Pre restart - 1.48 PPG
Post restart - 1.78 PPG

You absolutely have to take into account Spurs run-in and the fact they had Kane back fit.

Whilst that’s true, our last six games have seen two wins, one draw and three defeats or 1.17PPG, which is where people were hoping for better.

That’s not to say its shockingly poor, or that we have the right to expect perfection, but being a bit disappointed isn’t outrageous.

Whilst that’s true, our last six games have seen two wins, one draw and three defeats or 1.17PPG, which is where people were hoping for better.

That’s not to say its shockingly poor, or that we have the right to expect perfection, but being a bit disappointed isn’t outrageous.
More selective use of stats......on PPG in our last game, we’d be the first team ever to get zero points.

Not really. With six games to go, Leicester had 55 points, Chelsea had 54, Man Utd and us had 52 and spurs had 45.

We’ve ended with Man Utd (+14) and Chelsea on 66 (+12), Leicester on 62 (+7) and us (+7) and spurs on 59 (+14).

Surely you’d have to conclude that we would have hoped to do better over that period? I personally don’t think that’s an outrageous statement?

I’m hearing this a lot, but I honestly don’t think it will be the case. Raul is the most likely, but even then he’s 29, people won’t pay what we want and other than United no one else here is after a #9 and I don’t really think he’s Barca/Real material.

Traore the same applies. People won’t pay what we want. Arsenal can’t afford him, neither can spurs and they have millions of forwards. Chelsea have bought loads of forwards, United, City and Liverpool want more goals than he currently offers from their forwards. You look at the goals Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, Sterling, Mahrez, Mané, Salah etc. all score. Not his game at the minute so can’t see people paying what we want.

Not really. With six games to go, Leicester had 55 points, Chelsea had 54, Man Utd and us had 52 and spurs had 45.

We’ve ended with Man Utd (+14) and Chelsea on 66 (+12), Leicester on 62 (+7) and us (+7) and spurs on 59 (+14).

Surely you’d have to conclude that we would have hoped to do better over that period? I personally don’t think that’s an outrageous statement?

I just don't see the point in choosing an analysis that ignores factors such as who the games were against, players injured or returning, short-term form, impact of VAR etc - we play a season for a reason.

Yeah I've seen his tweets before, he's a tit.

Some totally irrelevant points he makes too

Back