• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Chelsea 2 - 0 Wolves: The Verdict

Going from CL TO EUROPA league is far more disappointing than going from Europa to nothing especially considering they were a nailed on cert at xmas. Again they're in a more realistic place they're in the same category as ourselves, spurs and Arsenal currently.

They have choked big style

Just seen the stat 17 points from 19 games! Is that right? If so get a tenner on them to go down with Palace and WBA

They've been poor since December and seem to take the mental knocks more strongly.

It makes you think if they have a poor first half to next season or are on the wrong end of VAR decisions they might not pull out of a spiral down to mid-table. We've no idea how the Europa League might affect them either.

We weren't good enough today. A couple of little spells in the first half (without creating anything in particular) but other than that, loose in possession, outright ragged at times and we got the second half team wrong. You might put Adama at RWB when we're playing a team that are never going to attack. Pulisic just had him pegged back and so he couldn't do anything. Plus Doc was playing well - beating Alonso every time in the air and linking up play well, so not sure why he went off. Jota poor throughout, Raul's worst game for nearly two years (Cardiff away) though I suppose he's been busy this week...

That said - they created next to fuck all too. A cheat FK (great hit but such a clear dive), us totally losing our heads straight after and conceding again, then their next shot on target was on 92 minutes. That incident totally turns the game, 0-0 was right at that point and who knows how the second half would have gone after that.

Which brings me on to Attwell, how can he be so consistently poor every single year - I'm sure I've seen him be dreadful at least once for us a season for ages now, Southampton at home last season springs to mind, Boro away before that - and still ref at the highest level? That didn't even look a FK in real time. You can't blame Neto for first trying to clear the ball, then pulling out when he sees the cheating bastard is busy doing his Tom Daley act.

Ah well. It's not all over, I think Chelsea will win next week and then this doesn't mean anything as such, we just have a couple of qualifiers which we'll use as friendlies again, may well get a friendlier final round draw this time too.

Great season overall, I don't feel it's "petered out", expecting to win at Chelsea is a bit strong for me at this stage.

They've been poor since December and seem to take the mental knocks more strongly.

It makes you think if they have a poor first half to next season or are on the wrong end of VAR decisions they might not pull out of a spiral down to mid-table. We've no idea how the Europa League might affect them either.

Just checked. 23 points from l;ast 20 games. Were second at 18 games! 39 points.

It’s such fine margins. Tottenham have ludicrously over performed, they shouldn’t be anywhere near our points total the way they’ve played this season. I can’t base it on one game just because it was the most recent one personally. Appreciate I’m probably seeing a lot differently to other/most people

No break in the season means no Kane or Son for Spurs for any of their remaining 8 games. They would no way have finished 6th.

We weren't good enough today. A couple of little spells in the first half (without creating anything in particular) but other than that, loose in possession, outright ragged at times and we got the second half team wrong. You might put Adama at RWB when we're playing a team that are never going to attack. Pulisic just had him pegged back and so he couldn't do anything. Plus Doc was playing well - beating Alonso every time in the air and linking up play well, so not sure why he went off. Jota poor throughout, Raul's worst game for nearly two years (Cardiff away) though I suppose he's been busy this week...

That said - they created next to fuck all too. A cheat FK (great hit but such a clear dive), us totally losing our heads straight after and conceding again, then their next shot on target was on 92 minutes. That incident totally turns the game, 0-0 was right at that point and who knows how the second half would have gone after that.

Which brings me on to Attwell, how can he be so consistently poor every single year - I'm sure I've seen him be dreadful at least once for us a season for ages now, Southampton at home last season springs to mind, Boro away before that - and still ref at the highest level? That didn't even look a FK in real time. You can't blame Neto for first trying to clear the ball, then pulling out when he sees the cheating bastard is busy doing his Tom Daley act.

Ah well. It's not all over, I think Chelsea will win next week and then this doesn't mean anything as such, we just have a couple of qualifiers which we'll use as friendlies again, may well get a friendlier final round draw this time too.

Great season overall, I don't feel it's "petered out", expecting to win at Chelsea is a bit strong for me at this stage.
Agree with all of this except the FA Cup final. I'm backing Arsenal to win.

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

No break in the season means no Kane or Son for Spurs for any of their remaining 8 games. They would no way have finished 6th.

wow I hadn’t even factored that in ffs. Completely forgot.

On the plus side it allows spurs to think what they are doing is working. They are a really poor team at the moment. Need multiple signings to even be decent again and I’m not sure they’ll spend what Jose will want

Agree with all of this except the FA Cup final. I'm backing Arsenal to win.

11/8 with BoyleSports. That's just to win it, not in 90 minutes. Put as much on as you're comfortable with.

If they do it, you make a bit of money for zero effort. £50 returns £118.75, for instance. If not, you've lost money that you're happy writing off, but we are in Europe.

The realistic position for us to finish is between 5-10 with the squad we have, I've seen people say on twitter that we bottled it today which is crap. Even if had played well today there's no guarantee wed have got anything out the game. Only disappointment was we didn't test Chelsea back 4 enough considering how ropey they can be from set pieces.
People blaming VAR for us not getting CL, i despise it and its hypocrisy but we as a club voted for it in its current format. its also completely hypothetical there's no guarantee those results would have stayed the same or how the opposition would have reacted.

Yeah even the attempted tackle by Neves (?) was rubbish too. All round lapse in concentration.

Seen some saying coady had a poor game against Giroud. while no one was good, I don’t think Coady was anywhere near the worst of performers nor did he directly struggle with Giroud!

Coady's biggest error on the goal is aimlessly booting the free kick downfield to no-one (presumably as he was still fuming at Boy Wonder who was allegedly reffing the game). Keep possession and we go in at 0-1.

wow I hadn’t even factored that in ffs. Completely forgot.

On the plus side it allows spurs to think what they are doing is working. They are a really poor team at the moment. Need multiple signings to even be decent again and I’m not sure they’ll spend what Jose will want
Imagine if it cost you a PTG title [emoji3]

I often read from other fans that we massively benefitted from the break as well. I say we were used to playing twice a week and played better with that quick turnaround between games.

Who knows if it would have caught up with us before the end of the season but I doubt it would have done too much.

I often read from other fans that we massively benefitted from the break as well. I say we were used to playing twice a week and played better with that quick turnaround between games.

Who knows if it would have caught up with us before the end of the season but I doubt it would have done too much.

PPG prior to lockdown was 1.48
PPG after lockdown 1.78

Thought we were in the game until the FK decision. We had battled well in a very tough game up until that point, but that disgraceful decision from Attwell fucked with our boys heads. You could see Conor telling Neto to leave it when he continued arguing with Attwell and Coady seemed totally resigned to the fact we had been shafted again.

I wouldn't say we bottled it today, as anyone with any sense of reality would have known it was going to be a tough task to come to Stamford Bridge and take all 3 points. I personally expected a draw with us conceding first half and fighting back to equalise in the second, but I was well aware that it would be a very tough game and a defeat was more likely than a win.

The second goal killed us, and we never looked like we were in the game after it. Poor passes, bad touches, losing possession in bad areas, not looking up and seeing the runs, bad communication etc.... nothing went right second half and it is a disappointing and frustrating end to the season and I have concerns about qualifying for EL next season. If Chelsea win the FA cup, we go into the Qualifying round - correct?

Another very long season playing extra games could really impact on our small squad. We've been lucky with injuries up til now but 2 seasons with ~50 games could have detrimental effects.

Qualifiers are only one leg this year and we may well miss out on at least one round compared to this season as we have our own UEFA coefficient now.

Qualifiers are only one leg this year and we may well miss out on at least one round compared to this season as we have our own UEFA coefficient now.

We'd almost certainly be seeded for the both rounds to.

I would say 3 seasons of minimal injuries under Nuno and his team its time to drop the lucky with injuries line.
Pulls and stretches yes. Snaps and breaks we have been fortunate, as there is a very limited amount of conditioning you can do to prevent that. Jota gets a Zyro challenge, he'll get the same result

Clearly our trainng is making their bones stronger (unless MGW is close by)....

Back