• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Cardiff Away Build Up Thread

Afobe is just simply not good enough and is a ‘luxury’ that we can ill afford. I cannot understand, for the life of me, whatever possessed Nuno to sign him on loan. Let’s hope that Jota or Bonatini play, this evening, in the centre-forward role.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His goal scoring record at this level? Get the ball in the box and he will score.

Found out yesterday I was bought a ticket to this for a surprise so will be at the game. Will find out if it is a pleasant one or not tonight.

Found out yesterday I was bought a ticket to this for a surprise so will be at the game. Will find out if it is a pleasant one or not tonight.

Was intending to go to this till they changed the time as with a normal KO it's one of the nearer ones for me, but no trains to get back from an evening one & no cheap enough overnight accommodation.

Will have to watch on Sky (will get a weeks pass as want to watch the Masters as well) & have a ticket for Derby.

Only decision to make on line up is up front & whether to go with Leo or Benik. Fortunately not my decision & will leave it to Nuno as he's been right a hell of a lot more than he's been wrong.

Expect a fairly feisty game - not unhappy to come away with a point from this one

Was intending to go to this till they changed the time as with a normal KO it's one of the nearer ones for me, but no trains to get back from an evening one & no cheap enough overnight accommodation.

Will have to watch on Sky (will get a weeks pass as want to watch the Masters as well) & have a ticket for Derby.

Only decision to make on line up is up front & whether to go with Leo or Benik. Fortunately not my decision & will leave it to Nuno as he's been right a hell of a lot more than he's been wrong.

Expect a fairly feisty game - not unhappy to come away with a point from this one

I'd go with Benik. At least he's had a goal recently. Leo is way off the boil.

I'm reading a lot of "Cardiff are long ball merchants" and "they'll kick us off the pitch". That's extremely harsh on Cardiff. Sure, they have a style under their Manager and it's different to ours - but they're still a very good team, on a fantastic run (in better form than we are ourselves) and they will know that a win tonight puts things in their own hands (i.e. win their game in hand and they'll be level with us). This will without doubt be the hardest game of the season for us, and having seen us buckle under the pressure against both Villa & Fulham (along with letting in sloppy goals against Norwich, Hull & even Burton), I am not as hugely confident as some of you lot.

I'll take a point now.

I'm reading a lot of "Cardiff are long ball merchants" and "they'll kick us off the pitch". That's extremely harsh on Cardiff. Sure, they have a style under their Manager and it's different to ours - but they're still a very good team, on a fantastic run (in better form than we are ourselves) and they will know that a win tonight puts things in their own hands (i.e. win their game in hand and they'll be level with us). This will without doubt be the hardest game of the season for us, and having seen us buckle under the pressure against both Villa & Fulham (along with letting in sloppy goals against Norwich, Hull & even Burton), I am not as hugely confident as some of you lot.

I'll take a point now.

This. I have been nervous all day about the game. It feels like when we played Derby away in April 09, we knew a win would virtually seal promotion but we have a big hurdle to get over first.

Some on Mol Mix saying that the front 3 is Costa - Cav - Jota

Not sure where they are getting that from thoughh

It's not that big a game, realistically. It's not do or die like a playoff final and the gap we have to 3rd is massive given where we are in the season. Even if we were to lose, we have five further games to get over the line, all of them being ones we would expect to win.

Obviously I'm desperate for us to win, but the importance is being overplayed a bit.

Not nervous personally. Obviously really want us to turn these over after the home game, but that aside, we have enough in our squad to win.
If we don't lose, it puts us in a good place for the title. Thus, cardiff need to win more than we do.
Game management, and not making silly errors likely to be key.
On the striker debate, I'd go with cav/afobe.costa, with jota on the bench to run at tired legs. A neves through ball to afobe like DDW says was on show at burton will turn the cardiff defence.

It's not that big a game, realistically. It's not do or die like a playoff final and the gap we have to 3rd is massive given where we are in the season. Even if we were to lose, we have five further games to get over the line, all of them being ones we would expect to win.

Obviously I'm desperate for us to win, but the importance is being overplayed a bit.

This but I would love us to win this and effectively seal the title. And in style like I know we can.

I'll take a point now.

I think this is spot on.

I'm so nervous! I think this game will really set the tone for the run in, I'd hate to finish 2nd and lift that tinpot 2nd place trophy!

Personally I'd start Afobe instead of Jota, Diogo was really poor on Tuesday, however Afobe was also really poor so.... Leo?!

If Saiss is too fatigued then I'd go with MGW instead of Alf.

Unfortunately we’ve not had a serviceable striker since December. Bonatini has been so poor recently he isn’t an option. Afobe has been pretty woeful too (he literally didn’t touch the ball against Boro or Hull), he doesn’t fit this team at all.

We’ve battled through the second half of the season generally beating teams as we just have far superior personnel. If we’d had a 6 or 7/10 striker for the last 3 months we’d have the league won by now and probably be hunting the points total. Neither Afobe or Bonatini are the answer, and Jota is an ok stop gap (not if he plays like Tuesday), but I can’t really say which is the best of the 3 to play and none of them are the correct answer. Just need to pick the least worst option.

Jota, Afobe cav for me - not sure costa will cope with the rough stuff, and Afobe is our best goal scorer at the moment.

Agree we need to focus heavily on their right back, he’s not great.

I’m with you Dan, it’s big in terms of winning the league but not so big in getting promoted. I would like to go up as Champions, but getting promoted is far more important.

Afobe AND Leo start. Cav and Costa on bench. Random.

Doherty, Neves, Afobe and Bonatini in for Miranda, N'Diaye, Costa and Cavaleiro.

Back