• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Cardiff Away Build Up Thread

Nuno played Diogo as a ten last season for Porto often, didn't he?

Seems a strange time to suddenly try a new formation?

But Nuno knows football better than me so let's see how this goes. I'm excited and nervous.

Looks the most logical to be, neither Afobe or Bonatini are going to do anything in a wide position but Jota has been used off the forward before.

Could be detrimental to Douglas and Doherty though as they won't have that player in front of them to combine with going forwards or offer support when defending.

Cardiff's full backs not particularly attack-mind, so that might be his thinking.

There's a very insightful guess from a Facebook comment which I think hits the nail on the head especially when combined with the idea of bringing costa/cav as they tire and pick up bookings

"Thats not a bad idea. Bonnatini holds the ball up well and makes runs/opens the space up. He can stretch the back 4 which allows afobe and jota to move in. I watched sheffield v cardiff and clarke made the runs and space and held the ball up which stretched the back 4 and cardiff couldnt cope"

I know it's in Nuno we trust but fucking hell, i dont like that one bit

I think he's watched the Sheffield United game and saw the damage Brooks did dropping between the lines and running at the centre halves before finding an overlap out wide

Obviously he was part of the front two, rather than off a front pair ala Jota but the principle of it is similar. It was the United wing backs offering the threat wide putting balls into the box that they should have finished and Cardiff couldn't deal with.

If Neves and Saiss can run it, like they can, it could work out nicely.

Well as this seems to have confused the hell out of us hopefully it's done the same to Warnock

Any plans he had will have to be thrown in the bin now

Show a bit of fucking faith in the best manager we've had in 30+ years, eh lads.

It'll be interesting to watch that's for certain. I wouldn't have seen that in a million years, fair play to Nuno if it works out.

When Lambert picked odd line ups last year I thought 'wtf is he doing?'. With Nuno I'm ready to see how his plan pans out

On the plus side, having Costa and Cav to bring off the bench later in the game should scare the hell out of any opposing defence...

I think it is intriguing. And if it works as Nuno is planning, it could be genius. Plus we have plenty of ammo on the bench.

Subs will be crucial in this game.

That's probably our most resilient front 3. Bring Cav and Costa on after 60 minutes - job done

WM are saying usual formation with Afobe on the right of the 3.

Reading Cardiff's forum they do worry about how they tire in the 2nd half so perhaps that's his thinking.

There’s many ways he could go with this. Currently it’s 11 names on a piece of paper. He’s not Dean Saunders so I trust him. I’ve got my theories on what his thinking might be.

I said earlier in the build up that here was no right answer in the current system. Maybe by changing the system he’s found the right one?

Nuno played Diogo as a ten last season for Porto often, didn't he?
Aye, but in 4-2-3-1 so a bit different from what I assume is a 3-4-1-2 today.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Back