• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Burnley 1 - Wolves 1 a much better performance verdict thread

For me we need to go back to 4231 next season - could get quite excited about any front four of Wallace, Zyro, Dicko, Graham and Mason playing in a system where they're constantly switching positions. Fast, fluid, attacking football...

For me we need to go back to 4231 next season - could get quite excited about any front four of Wallace, Zyro, Dicko, Graham and Mason playing in a system where they're constantly switching positions. Fast, fluid, attacking football...

We can dream. Haven't seen evidence thus far with the plethora of permutations and combinations.

Before his injury Dicko looked way off it.

Will reserve judgment on next season till I can see how Dicko & Graham come back - not always a given that they can replicate previous form after that significant an injury

In our current financial position don't expect any expensive imports unless a sale has ocurred & even then will depend who we sell to

Then again a cheap foreign or lower league signing that explodes into the championship could well ignite us

Watching Newcastle - Sunderland. Getting quite tasty. I dread to think what either of those teams would do to our defence

Watching Newcastle - Sunderland. Getting quite tasty. I dread to think what either of those teams would do to our defence

We always stay stuff like that. A few weeks back we were worried what damage Derby would do to our defence......turned out it wasn't much. Generally its the teams we don't think we will rip us apart that do.

Also, 80 minutes in and Newcastle have been shit going forward. Get 25 yards from goal and have no clue what to do.

Also, 80 minutes in and Newcastle have been shit going forward. Get 25 yards from goal and have no clue what to do.

always going to score once I typed that.....

There's always the question of how many players remain at a Premier League club that has been relegated.

Really chuffed with the performance yesterday, a great effort from all involved. Defensively solid and some lovely football played at times. We went away to a Burnley side who were top of the league, unbeaten in 14 and in the end probably have grounds to feel hard done by with a point. I was talking to a Burnley fan and his son on the train back to Glasgow and while he said that while that was probably more possession than Burnley have ever seen all season he thought Wolves were the better side and more than deserved the equaliser.

The first half was a bit of a grind with Burnley having a lot of possession but Wolves the better chances. In the second we came out and had a real go at them and, up until their goal, dominated the middle and created some really big chances. We looked a bit dazed by their goal which came against the run of play and for 5-10 minutes it looked like our heads had dropped until our midfield 3 wrestled the game back and we started to attack again. The equaliser was well deserved and you could see how much it meant for both the players and fans (or at least the fans that stayed to the end). It was a confident and assured performance that makes me look forward to the rest of the season, despite the fact that we have nothing left to play for.

Ikeme - 6 - Couldn't have done anything about the goal and claimed a few crosses well but there was one moment in the 2nd half where he tried to punch and the ball just went straight up in the air. Luckily we managed to clear it. Apart from that he had very little to do.

Iorfa - 7.5 - Much better again. Seems to be focusing more on the basics and he's now back to somewhere near his best. Didn't really get the chance to stretch his legs and attack Ward but I'd rather he just stuck to defending until the end of the season and work again on improving his forward play next year. Will go into the internationals with a lot more confidence which is great.

Batth - 8.5 - Superb thumping header to equalise and a very solid performance all round. Looks much better with Hause next to him. Passing still poor but not as bad as it has been recently, only 1 or 2 slices straight out of play... I'm not sure who Vokes beat in the air for the goal, might've been Danny.

Hause - 8 - He had a mad 10 minutes to start the game but once he settled down he looked very assured. Brought the ball out really well from the back. Instrumental in Wolves controlling the game second half, he was quick on the intercept and never gave Burnley a rest, feeding the ball quickly into Price, Saville or Doherty.

Doherty - 8.5 - Quality performance from Doherty, both defensively and going forward. He was a constant outlet for Price and gave Lowton a torrid time all game. A few moments of genuine class as well, twice he just breezed past Boyd & Lowton with one move to start a counter and in another he played an elegant half volley out wide to set Wallace off down the wing. Had a really fierce shot blocked towards the end when we were pushing for an equaliser.

Price - 9 MOTM - Majestic. He was absolutely everywhere, snapping into tackles, stepping in front of passes, harrying Burnley when they had possession and even sweeping up behind the back 4 when Burnley looked to play it over the top. In possession he was flawless. Quick intelligent passing, whether it was short into his midfield partners or long crossfield balls to switch play. He pulled everything off. He had a low raking shot hit the post at the end which I would've loved to see nestle in the back of the net. When we scored his passion was clear to see, he went absolutely mental and was the last off the pitch applauding the fans. How has he not been playing? Why does Ken feel the need to try and replace him?

Saville - 7.5 - Thought he really did a job on Joey Barton. Didn't give him a moments peace, up and down the pitch all game, only lost him once in the build up to their goal. His passing was good and he put in a shift but could've done better with two chances. In the first half Zyro & Coady charged down Heaton and he sliced his kick straight at Saville. He could've perhaps hit it first time but it came at him fast and he controlled it awkwardly and then was put under pressure, he turned inside and shot but by that time Mee (their best player by a mile) had got back into position to cover Heaton. In the second he hit a pull back from Helan tamely straight at the keeper but really should've been given the ball earlier when he was completely unmarked.

Coady - 7 - He didn't have a great game on the ball, his passing was often wayward and he fired a half volley way over when he really should've been testing the keeper but he worked his arse off and really disrupted Burnley's rhythm. Very disciplined defensively and some of our best counters started with a thumping Coady tackle. I've no issue with him if he plays like that, just needs to be more aware in possession.

Wallace - 7.5 - Was our main attacking outlet really. Put in a huge effort and probably should've been subbed 5-10 minutes before the injury as he was clearly knackered. A very tenacious performance with a few moments of very nice skill but I thought his final ball let him down a bit (although admittedly he didn't have much to aim for). Personally thought he looked better cutting in from the left than on the right. Hopefully the injury isn't too serious.

Helan - 5.5 - Doesn't have the speed of thought or ability to be a winger. If someone plays him in behind then he wont be caught but the only way he can beat a man is if he tackles through them and too often he just slows down attacks and wastes the moment. In a team set up to hit on the counter like we are he's letting the whole side down. Price picked him or Doherty out in acres of space several times but he kept getting the ball stuck under his feet. On one occasion he dribbled straight out of play. Keeps his position well enough defensively but we need more than that from one of our 3 'attacking' players.

Zyro - 7 - Another one who put in a real shift yesterday, Burnley's two centre halves will have woken up with a fair few bruises after that, they certainly knew they were in a game from the first minute. Held the ball up superbly and linked up well with everyone around him. It's clear as day that he doesn't know the position well though which isn't surprising, he's only played it for a month or so. He's the most offside centre forward I've seen play for Wolves since Michael Branch. There were literally 3 or 4 of them in barely 2 minutes at one point in the second half. Wallace curled a lovely cross over Burnley's back 4, a natural #9 would've peeled off and met it but Zyro was half a second behind and ended up putting a free header way over the bar. Apart from that I can't recall many clear cut chances. He was quite unlucky with a shot on the turn after a scuffle in the box but that was it.

Mason - 7 - Didn't have a great deal of the ball but harried Burnley defenders and combined brilliantly with Sigurdarson in the build up to the winning corner.

Sigurdarson - 7 - Ditto.

Byrne - N/A - I'm not sure if he even touched the ball before the corner. Lovely delivery.

Appreciate you were at the game, so in a better position to comment than me; but it doesn't surprise me in the least to see you rate Helan as our worst player.

I could have guessed you'd score him the lowest before a ball had even been kicked!

Appreciate the verdict though. Pleased to hear things are generally more positive.

He's come in, worked hard and given us balance, but he's certainly not someone i want us to sign in the summer.

I would quite like to see Hunte given an opportunity at some stage (more than just ten minutes) too.

Appreciate you were at the game, so in a better position to comment than me; but it doesn't surprise me in the least to see you rate Helan as our worst player.

I could have guessed you'd score him the lowest before a ball had even been kicked!

Appreciate the verdict though. Pleased to hear things are generally more positive.

I rated Doherty as our 2nd best player. I've been hating on him for years.

I rated Doherty as our 2nd best player. I've been hating on him for years.

Don't let facts get in the way of an opinion!

Jinky has accused you of what he is doing himself!

He's come in, worked hard and given us balance, but he's certainly not someone i want us to sign in the summer.

I would quite like to see Hunte given an opportunity at some stage (more than just ten minutes) too.

Agreed on both these counts. It's ideal for us to give Hunte/Bright some gametime along the way.

Definitely thank you and goodbye to Helan in the summer - done us a fair job but we can do a lot better even if we want someone to play that more defensive/support role out wide rather than a traditional winger. Wouldn't even want him on a free as it stands.

Given that Jack Price has been praised for his performance at Burnley, I trust that he will now be a regular in the team, which I think he should have been anyway.

He will be for a while until KJ decides he's the problem again and benches him for a couple of months.

You knew he was going to say he was shit as you feel he has a pre conceived opinion. Likewise you have a pre conceived opinion he is good.

Where did I say he was good?

Back