• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Brighton (A, LC) 18/9: Build-Up & Match Thread

We won't win at Anfield any time soon either but I'm not going to pretend that Richard Stearman was a quality centre half or Stephen Ward could have played up front regularly in the Premier League.

We won't win at Anfield any time soon either but I'm not going to pretend that Richard Stearman was a quality centre half or Stephen Ward could have played up front regularly in the Premier League.
They were good players. You keep berating our players for not being good enough. But how can we have the best players if they always need to move on to better things?

Sorry but Richard Stearman was not a good player. Especially not in his second spell.

There is currently approximately one club in world football that is invulnerable to losing players who think there's a better deal on offer (jn pure sporting terms, not chasing the Saudi coin) elsewhere, they play in white and they play in Madrid. I don't mind us having to sell players. That's football, it happened 20 years ago, and 40 years ago, and any time before that you care to examine.

I care about us selling good players and either flat out not replacing them or totally wasting the money we receive when we lose a key asset, both of which have happened more than once in the last four years at Wolves.

As for Adama Traoré, we repeatedly offered him new contracts for about four years, he refused to sign any of them and left on a free, which is his choice, so I don't understand how he fits into this argument. Or to be honest, what the argument is. Adama's track record is there for all to see, him having a good game once at Man City doesn't change that.

Last edited:
GXxl_aVW0AAQOLz

Pond starts alongside Bueno. Doc left back ugh.

Hopefully it'll be this:

..................... Sa

Lima - Bueno - Pond - Doherty

............. Doyle - Gomes

Sarabia - Hwang - Rodrigo

............... Guedes

We played that front four in pre-season IIRC and Hwang/Rodrigo linked really well together.

Sorry but Richard Stearman was not a good player. Especially not in his second spell.

There is currently approximately one club in world football that is invulnerable to losing players who think there's a better deal on offer (jn pure sporting terms, not chasing the Saudi coin) elsewhere, they play in white and they play in Madrid. I don't mind us having to sell players. That's football, it happened 20 years ago, and 40 years ago, and any time before that you care to examine.

I care about us selling good players and either flat out not replacing them or totally wasting the money we receive when we lose a key asset, both of which have happened more than once in the last four years at Wolves.

As for Adama Traoré, we repeatedly offered him new contracts for about four years, he refused to sign any of them and left on a free, which is his choice, so I don't understand how he fits into this argument.
Stearman was not that bad in the context of where we were then. I was not a massive fan admittedly as there was always a mistake beckoning. Ward: as we were watching from Billy Wright at the time - so saw him play at close quarters - I thought Ward was pretty good overall. Adama is great fun to watch. It just did not work out. His biggest flaw is failing to score enough considering his talent.

We played that front four in pre-season IIRC and Hwang/Rodrigo linked really well together.
I must say the club have done a marvellous job in gaslighting enough fans to thinking that Guedes is not only an acceptable option, but an acceptable option as a striker.

He isn't, for the record.

Rank stupidity playing those players in a 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 just because that's his philosophy.

Fucking fraud of a manager.

Adama is great fun to watch. It just did not work out. His biggest flaw is failing to score enough considering his talent.
Yep, fine. I'm really not sure how that differs from what I said in the first place? Other than the weird lifetime immunity because he scored at Man City argument.

Stearman was an ok (at best) centre half in the Championship in 2008, and a shite Championship centre half when we inexplicably re-signed him in 2016.

Ward is not someone I will ever have a go at, the point was I wouldn't have kept playing him up front forever in the Premier League just because he played there once at Anfield and scored and we won, which is a perverse thing to think.

I think he’s the one they can risk tonight knowing we’ve got Andre and Lemina.

Yeah, maybe.

I wonder what’s inspired Gaz to think it’s a good idea to play Doyle in a midfield two again?

And I’d rather see a kid than Doc at left back, thanks.

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome.

And I’d rather see a kid than Doc at left back, thanks.
We actually don't have any kids there. Not if Meupiyou is injured (as we're told he is, and I also suspect it's stretching a point to say he can play there) and Sutherland hasn't appeared at all in the Academy teams as yet.

Go and ask the club why they've allowed that situation to develop.

When I saw Sundays line up, I was quite excited, expecting a 4-3-3 with Andre in front of the back 4 and Gomes/Lemina as 8s.
Turns out Gaz is going to go for 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2 whatever and shoe horn players into positions that negate their strengths.

Back