• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Brighton (A) 26/10: Build-Up & Match Thread

Deutsch Wolf

Sponsored by Amazon Prime. DM me for discounts...
Reaction score
You'd think we'll stick with the three CHs, for all that it's an imperfect solution. You'd hope we'd stick with Sa, because it's the right thing to do.

However, as I said yesterday - the City game can't really be a template for anything. They're a special case, we can't have many (if any) other games where we have 24% possession and effectively have 8 at the back. We're also not in the position of being able to 0-0 our way to safety as we've already got a deficit to make up that isn't going to be resolved by limping along at 0.5-1 PPG. While a draw here would be a good result, there has to be more of an emphasis on chance creation rather than desperate defending.

As such I don't think sending out a team with TWO attacking players is sustainable. So one of the midfielders is going to have to miss out for now, having no out ball yesterday meant that we never got any respite.

------------------------------Sa-------------------------

-----------------Bueno-----Dawson----Toti----------------

Semedo-----------Lemina--------J Gomes-------Ait-Nouri

-------------Forbs--------Strand Larsen-----Cunha-------------

2024/25: L 2-3 (A, LC)
2023/24: L 1-4 (H), D 0-0 (A), W 1-0 (H, FAC)
2022/23: L 2-3 (H), L 0-6 (A)
2021/22: L 0-3 (H), W 1-0 (A)
2020/21: W 2-1 (H), D 3-3 (A)
2019/20: D 0-0 (H), D 2-2 (A)
2018/19: D 0-0 (H), L 0-1 (A)
2016/17: L 0-2 (H), L 0-1 (A)
2015/16: D 0-0 (H), W 1-0 (A)
2014/15: D 1-1 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2012/13: D 3-3 (H), L 0-2 (A)
2005/06: W 1-0 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2004/05: D 1-1 (H), W 1-0 (A)
2002/03: D 1-1 (H), L 1-4 (A)

I think we need to keep the ball better, I'd play Andre rather than Lemina and Doyle instead of Forbs from that team. Doyle not in the weird quarterback role he normally brings him on to do though, sit him ahead of the double pivot. 3232

You'd think we'll stick with the three CHs, for all that it's an imperfect solution. You'd hope we'd stick with Sa, because it's the right thing to do.

However, as I said yesterday - the City game can't really be a template for anything. They're a special case, we can't have many (if any) other games where we have 24% possession and effectively have 8 at the back. We're also not in the position of being able to 0-0 our way to safety as we've already got a deficit to make up that isn't going to be resolved by limping along at 0.5-1 PPG. While a draw here would be a good result, there has to be more of an emphasis on chance creation rather than desperate defending.

As such I don't think sending out a team with TWO attacking players is sustainable. So one of the midfielders is going to have to miss out for now, having no out ball yesterday meant that we never got any respite.

------------------------------Sa-------------------------

-----------------Bueno-----Dawson----Toti----------------

Semedo-----------Lemina--------J Gomes-------Ait-Nouri

-------------Forbs--------Strand Larsen-----Cunha-------------

2024/25: L 2-3 (A, LC)
2023/24: L 1-4 (H), D 0-0 (A), W 1-0 (H, FAC)
2022/23: L 2-3 (H), L 0-6 (A)
2021/22: L 0-3 (H), W 1-0 (A)
2020/21: W 2-1 (H), D 3-3 (A)
2019/20: D 0-0 (H), D 2-2 (A)
2018/19: D 0-0 (H), L 0-1 (A)
2016/17: L 0-2 (H), L 0-1 (A)
2015/16: D 0-0 (H), W 1-0 (A)
2014/15: D 1-1 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2012/13: D 3-3 (H), L 0-2 (A)
2005/06: W 1-0 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2004/05: D 1-1 (H), W 1-0 (A)
2002/03: D 1-1 (H), L 1-4 (A)

Yeah this is the team for me, maybe Andre for one of Lemina or Gomes.

GON hasn't a clue what to do with Andre. We have three players (Lemina, Gomes and Andre) who are good at the same things...although I would put Andre's ball retention above the others...but there's little point retaining the ball of we can't do much with it due to a lack of creativity.

There has to come a point when he realises that no matter what combination of Lemina, Gomes and Andre plays...it isn't working. I don't necessarily think Doyle is the answer but there is a question about our midfield and he is the only other option.

Any goalkeeper - don't care

Semedo Dawson Beuno Toti Ait-Nouri

Doyle Andre Gomes

Cunha

Strand Larsen

You could dispense with one of the centre backs and put Lemina in front of them, he could drop into a three if we were in possession to allow the wing backs some licence.

I'm not a big fan of Bueno but he was playing a slightly different role yesterday - instead of expecting him to dominate and stand in the back line (which he isnt very good at) he was picking up and sticking to, whoever would have been Man Citys spare midfield player at the given time and he actually did a pretty good job of it, Unsure exactly how many games it will be useful in but something we may be able to use in some games.

Speaking to a couple of Brighton fans yesterday and they think their team has a big weakness with the ball over the top. I'm not expecting us to see that or use it but always interesting the insight a teams own fans have.

Speaking to a couple of Brighton fans yesterday and they think their team has a big weakness with the ball over the top. I'm not expecting us to see that or use it but always interesting the insight a teams own fans have.
From watching the Chelsea/Brighton highlights, any ball in behind their back 4 troubled them as they played stupidly high - especially first half.

If they’re vulnerable to the ball over the top Forbs should play. If so other than the keeper decision the only decision to make is which two of Gomes, Lemina and Andre play. I’d guess he’ll leave Andre out.

Last edited:
If they’re vulnerable to the ball over the top Firbs should play. If so other than the keeper decision the only decision to make is which two of Gomes, Lemina and Andre play. I’d guess he’ll leave Andre out.
Andre was good yesterday, I imagine he was shagged and that's why he got brought off.

He's another that doesn't seem to be fit enough.

Gomes was absolutely exhausted after 70 mins, as was SL. RAN had cramp, it's not great, however it was a very mentally and physically demanding game yesterday.

I'd have Andre over Lemina who has been very disappointing this season but otherwise DW's team probably best option. Like TT says, ball retention such a weakness in the team currently.

I'd have Andre over Lemina who has been very disappointing this season but otherwise DW's team probably best option. Like TT says, ball retention such a weakness in the team currently.
Thought all the midfielders played well yesterday, obviously it was in a highly pragmatic role but nonetheless they all did a good job.
Hopefully we can go to a 2 man CM for other games (think we'll stick with 3 atb for a while) which means we have cover on the bench when inevitably the starters blow up on 70 minutes.
Felt sorry for Gomes yesterday, he seemed to be tasked with getting up to join the forwards in the final quarter of the game when clearly he was shagged.

Back