• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

BHA 0 - Wolves 1 The highway robbery verdict thread

Thought we worked very hard and whilst it wasn't exactly an exciting performance, it was okay. Ugly but effective and TBH I don't think it was daylight robbery.

I thought it was much better than the Reading performance despite it being backs to the wall.

Markal got away with murder, how he got away without a yellow, I'll never know.
The yellow for Iofra was a joke.

Well we're grinding out results but, as many have said, we're not going to mount a promotion charge playing like that. If we were looking over our shoulders a week ago then I suppose its satisfactory but we're going to come undone sooner or later.

EEL had an excellent game and it seems as if we've managed to find a semi-cohesive defensive unit against the odds. Graham was menacing yet again and he has to be amongst the contenders for the POTY now, even after such a small number of games.

Like I mentioned, our anti-football approach will leave us exposed. It doesn't play to Afobe's strengths, who can't hold the ball up for toffee and bases his game on chasing through balls off the shoulder of the last defender. Our central midfield isn't anywhere near incisive enough which is hardly surprising when you have Dave Edwards at its fulcrum.

A fantastic result but I can't help feeling apprehensive.

Another win crafted more by luck than judgement.

I thought it was much better than the Reading performance despite it being backs to the wall.

Agreed. We did actually deserve a bit of credit for our defending today. It was sheer luck we didn't concede multiple times vs Reading.

I think we'll go on another poor run in due course and just as we start looking over our shoulders we'll blag a couple of wins again, it's a special kind of hell when you can't even really savour winning. This form of football isn't sustainable in the long term, however each point garnered using it justifies its use to Kenny rather than using it as it should be to halt the slide and find some confidence. After three straight wins most teams would be buoyed and play with a bit of freedom but our lot still seem to be caught in headlights.
Beautifully put.

I can't believe I'm moaning so much after wins but it's football that makes my eyes bleed.

In terms of Highwaymen we were far more Sid James than the far dandier Adam Ant. I wouldn't have minded if we'd been a little more Richard O'Sullivan'ish. There is something horrible about it all and while I like the points, if he hadn't saved that at the end we'd be far more put out - like a spraying tom cat. High balls, easy loss of possession and a final third that was about as organised and purposeful as Mr Trebus. Quite like the big word things that History Makers did.

Thought we worked very hard and whilst it wasn't exactly an exciting performance, it was okay. Ugly but effective and TBH I don't think it was daylight robbery.

Thread title was somewhat 'tongue in cheek' - agree it wasn't that bad and Brighton had little idea how to break us down - having said they had 2 decent chances to score with Wilson opening us up only for Murphy to blaze over the bar & a good save by Ikeme from Dunk who probably shouldn't have given him a chance to save it

Difficult to do anything but echo what has been. We've put in 3 terrible attacking performances and somehow managed to scrape some clean sheets. These have very much been performances designed to push us away from the wrong end of the table.

Credit where it's due, I though Doherty looked ok today, despite most of Brightons attacking play coming from Bruno (who was a touch lucky to stay on the pitch).

I thought he was absolutely bloody appalling tbh. Once BHA had given up all hope of breaking us down and started launching aimless crap into the box he did a decent job of heading it away but before that he was awful. The moment where he stood over a virtually unmoving ball for a full 3 seconds trying to shepherd it out of play just about sums him up as a full back.

I thought he was absolutely bloody appalling tbh. Once BHA had given up all hope of breaking us down and started launching aimless crap into the box he did a decent job of heading it away but before that he was awful. The moment where he stood over a virtually unmoving ball for a full 3 seconds trying to shepherd it out of play just about sums him up as a full back.

As I say, last 20 he did OK. A couple of good tackles and interceptions. He was diabolical before that though.

Well i'm chuffed we won again and another clean sheet but i can't get past the fact that we can't string 4 passes together. It's fantastic that we haven't conceded in 3 but i feel if we try and attack more we will start conceding again and if we don't start to attack we will come up against teams who won't struggle to break us down. Fair play to the lads though who have put everything in to those 3 games and especially EEL who looked awful not long back and now he looks the better of the centre halves.

Not sure I agree with this.

I do think that was daylight robbery. Overall we were turgid. I was reminded of a few of the league 1 games, where the difference was finishing, not creating.

However, in exceptionally fleeting moments today we showed that pressing and getting the ball back can be effective for us, and when going forwards we could create something. I'm thinking mainly of the build up to the goal, but there were other very brief moments like that.

don't get me wrong. 80+% of the match we were drifting slowly backwards. KJ has been too conservative and defensive for me since November 2014, and he's generally stuck to that. However, in those very fleeting moments, I think we saw how we should be playing, rather than how we are.

However, massive props and LOLZ for Brighton and their fans whinging about time wasting from the 46th minute after Stockdales performance at the Molineux last time.

Three games, 9 points. Football reduced to just gaining points and necessary.

The football is the worst I have seen and I include Saunders shite in that. If we are going to play on the counter then do that, not just aimless, paceless, soul destroying garbage. Defending a one goal lead like we were Yeovil playing Arsenal is fucking embarrassing.

We got very lucky today with an OG as neither team looked like scoring but for that.

Baby steps. Clean sheets r the key . Hoping however for a bit more skill and excitement to build on this. Ikeme looked more solid than any other game. Coady did well. Afobewas tireless. Now to some Better home performances please

I had us to win at 11/4 thinking the last couple of games would give us confidence. More of the same however and not pretty to watch. It can only serve as a positive mind you as surely confidence is coming back and hopefully, as already mentioned, the impending changes will move us forward footballing wise. Onwards and upwards

I can't wait express how happy I am today. We were backs to the wall for the majority, but for the first time in my life I've seen us win at Brighton.

I do think that was daylight robbery. Overall we were turgid. I was reminded of a few of the league 1 games, where the difference was finishing, not creating.

However, in exceptionally fleeting moments today we showed that pressing and getting the ball back can be effective for us, and when going forwards we could create something. I'm thinking mainly of the build up to the goal, but there were other very brief moments like that.

don't get me wrong. 80+% of the match we were drifting slowly backwards. KJ has been too conservative and defensive for me since November 2014, and he's generally stuck to that. However, in those very fleeting moments, I think we saw how we should be playing, rather than how we are.

However, massive props and LOLZ for Brighton and their fans whinging about time wasting from the 46th minute after Stockdales performance at the Molineux last time.

Which bit don't you agree with??

KJ has been too conservative and defensive for me since November 2014, and he's generally stuck to that.

We averaged more or less two goals a game in the second half of last season so I would have to disagree there.

Absolutely this. People are going too over the top about the way we played today.

You can't be referring to the 0-0 where Coady got sent off and Martinez spent the rest of the game wasting every second he possibly could?

We were wasting time. Fair play to us and fair play to Ikeme for feigning injury. He saved us 2 points today, easily my MOTM (just like Emi was my MOTM in the home game).

As has been said this division has limited quality - we have now stemmed the leakage & do need to come out and try and play a bit.

Watching the QPR v Hull game on & off & its no better than ours just a bit more even

Back